Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

We made the same decision with Wardlaw. He missed 7 months leading into the draft.

Are you happy with that decision at the minute?

We need to be mindful of the effect any decision on Sausage will have on the whole group. Cut him and they will think that at the first sign of trouble that Club lets you go. So in my view he must be contracted again as a show of support and overall integrity. Talent almost an afterthought to the solidarity imperative.

We have enough guys to delist already. Pick 100 in the draft is not gonna have the possible reward that sticking fat with BG could have.

Oh he'd get picked straight away.
Probably won't see him until season 2026, so first real year and he's playing finals. Nice reward that will be.

Keeping him would be a mistake, has he really shown anything to suggest he will be a star anyway? Cut our losses and move on.

There’s at least 10 names on our list you would let go before even considering cutting our losses with him.

One spot on the list is worth sacrificing for a player with his talent. A really weird, shit comment.

Sad news, but we can easily keep Sausage around as he can go on the long term injury list and free up a pick for the MSD next year as an upside.

The other is we have lots who can go before him and a speculative pick at the end of the draft is just that, totally speculation.

Also take a look at Chom, aren’t we glad we didn’t contemplate delisting him due to his injuries…

The guy was top 30 with a knee reco. More than likely top 20 if he'd even gone at 75% of his early form over a season. And that's not with north goggles on.

Coaches speak highly of him, have heard excellent references of his character 1st hand from others and sounded absolutely dedicated to his recovery regime.

Would give him a year if not 2 without flinching. Give him some immediate reassurance and let him focus on his long path back.

It's not a curse. By far the biggest predictor of future injury is history. We continue to try to outsmart a system we're clearly not very adept at navigating. Been that way for ages.
Players like the Georges and even Garner are worth keeping on the list because their talent is exceptional. When your actual list size is enough for two 22s and we have a VFL side with signed up players its worth keeping high risk high reward injury prone players. Comben, if he strings a few seasons together, is an example of why.

This really sucks.

I just want to get him into the 1s and let him loose.

Can't catch a break (that's not a bone)

Judging by the words on the injury report, the club have no plans to ditch him any time soon. Fingers crossed the next rehab is the last one.

The guy was top 30 with a knee reco. More than likely top 20 if he'd even gone at 75% of his early form over a season. And that's not with north goggles on.

Coaches speak highly of him, have heard excellent references of his character 1st hand from others and sounded absolutely dedicated to his recovery regime.

Would give him a year if not 2 without flinching. Give him some immediate reassurance and let him focus on his long path back.
Yeah, definitely. We did the same with Chom after his last injury.

Players like the Georges and even Garner are worth keeping on the list because their talent is exceptional. When your actual list size is enough for two 22s and we have a VFL side with signed up players its worth keeping high risk high reward injury prone players. Comben, if he strings a few seasons together, is an example of why.

Again, no issue with keeping him on.

But he's an "exceptional" talent? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that has to be purely based on what the club and some others said about his junior footy? Because he's done next to nothing at VFL level (for obvious reasons).

Again, no issue with keeping him on.

But he's an "exceptional" talent? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that has to be purely based on what the club and some others said about his junior footy? Because he's done next to nothing at VFL level (for obvious reasons).
Yeah, he can ran fast, jump and boot the ball beautifully and can play well around the ball. But that's mostly from training but he did look alot better than other guys at training. Lots of potential.

I reckon it would be classy to give him a 2yr extension this week. Do the right thing when he most needs it. Seems like a great guy around the club and should be given that to prove himself. It's not like we aren't spoilt for choice for other delistings. I'd do it today and it would resonate very well with the players and supporter base IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it would be classy to give him a 2yr extension this week. Do the right thing when he most needs it. Seems like a great guy around the club and should be given that to prove himself. It's not like we aren't spoilt for choice for other delistings. I'd do it today and it would resonate very well with the players and supporter base IMO.
The Karate Kid Agree GIF

Makes sense TMB. I had a Bicep Tenodesis done on each shoulder the second time around to strengthen the whole mechanism of the shoulder joints and they worked a treat.
Hey Twinkletoes - can I ask who did your bicep tenodesis? Did you rupture/tear the bicep tendor and/or rotator cuff? Just asking as I might be up for the same procedure (no rupture, possible slight tear of sub-scapularis, persistent pain for 12 months)

Hey Twinkletoes - can I ask who did your bicep tenodesis? Did you rupture/tear the bicep tendor and/or rotator cuff? Just asking as I might be up for the same procedure (no rupture, possible slight tear of sub-scapularis, persistent pain for 12 months)

Greg Hoy at Melbourne Orthopaedic Group who does most of the AFL shoulder and arm stuff.

He suggested it straight up with my first reco as “regardless what I find once I have a look inside with keyhole surgery a bicep tenodesis will strengthen the joint. What I basically do is sever the bicep tendon then pull it apart into strands which I plait back together like hair then reattach using disolvable screws.”

When he had a look inside there was wear and tear plus arthritis which he cut out.

Later he did the same on the opposite shoulder. Unfortunately I snapped it off a week post op when I slipped on wet concrete and prematurely extended my arm from it’s sling. I was heading overseas the following day so I had that bicep hanging loose for a few weeks before he redid it upon my return. As it was the second go at that one he couldn’t reattach it to it’s natural insertion point near the collarbone so instead he had to reattach it at the top of my arm (humerus). It took awhile but with weights and rehab both are far stronger structurally than they were prior.

That was the only injury. Otherwise both shoulders were simply showing the signs of growing up a competitive swimmer and playing so much contact sport with regular weight training. I had suffered AC Joint injuries to both over the years as well though and each felt unstable at some point.

Good luck with yours. 👍

We need to be mindful of the effect any decision on Sausage will have on the whole group. Cut him and they will think that at the first sign of trouble that Club lets you go. So in my view he must be contracted again as a show of support and overall integrity. Talent almost an afterthought to the solidarity imperative.
That's total bullsh*t.

TT was legitimately employed by NM a number of months ago with the club doing everything for him.

Chom has been doing more rehab than Robert Downey Jnr... albeit of a different variety & we held him.

NM's 'integrity' can't be tested on this one - sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #33: Brayden 'Sausage' George - re-signed until end of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back