Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 43. Matthew Campbell

Round 14: Match Report

Round 14 Statistics: 13 kicks, 5 handballs, 18 possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 frees for, 2 frees against, 3 goals, 2 behinds

2008 Statistics: 103 kicks, 51 handballs, 154 possessions, 31 marks, 56 tackles, 13 frees for, 11 frees against, 24 goals, 8 behinds

Career Statistics: 163 kicks, 81 handballs, 244 possessions, 43 marks, 99 tackles, 22 Frees For, 14 Frees Against, 34 Goals, 11 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 14 from 14

Career Tally (Games): 27 from 39

My 2 Cents Worth:

Took particular notice to mention his first half against the saints and is the focus of the majority of my analysis.

Was in the top 2 or 3 and could be argued he was the best player in the first half. The first half was the most damaging half and probably his best ever half his played for the nmfc.

Q1: Saw Campbell hit Hale lace out and then crumbed a goal from a riewoldt stuff up to kick 2 goals and really started off in a damaging fashion.

Q2: Campbell early on kicked a goal from 30 straight in front and then crumbed another goal to really give the side a boost.

He had 11 touches and 3 goals to half time and looked like he could finish the game with 20 touches and 5+ goals.

He had a quiet 2nd half compared to the first but to his credit still chased, tackled and moved up the field more to find the pill and set up I50's

Was definitely 1 of his best games for the club and his best game this year.

Round 14 Rating: 8/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.57/10 (78/140)

Career Average Rating: 4.93/10 (133/270)

Round 15: Match Report

Round 15 Statistics: 8 kicks, 5 handballs, 13 possessions, 1 marks, 2 tackles, 1 frees for, 2 frees against, 0 goals, 2 behinds

2008 Statistics: 111 kicks, 56 handballs, 167 possessions, 32 marks, 58 tackles, 14 frees for, 13 frees against, 24 goals, 10 behinds

Career Statistics: 171 kicks, 86 handballs, 257 possessions, 44 marks, 101 tackles, 23 Frees For, 16 Frees Against, 34 Goals, 13 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 15 from 15

Career Tally (Games): 28 from 40

My 2 Cents Worth:

Matty had a quiet 3 quarters where he missed an easy set shotand an open shot on goal in the 2nd quarter.

JYD I know you were experimenting but please never play flash in the backline. he is a forward/midfielder and that passage of play made flash look really silly.

However he had more midfield time in the last quarter and really provided alot of run and carry which is something that will be developed even more into the future.

Round 15 Rating: 4/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.47/10 (82/150)

Career Average Rating: 4.89/10 (137/280)

Round 16: Match Report

Round 16 Statistics: 7 kicks, 8 handballs, 15 possessions, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 frees for, 0 frees against, 1 goals, 1 behinds

2008 Statistics: 118 kicks, 64 handballs, 182 possessions, 34 marks, 60 tackles, 16 frees for, 13 frees against, 25 goals, 11 behinds

Career Statistics: 178 kicks, 94 handballs, 272 possessions, 46 marks, 103 tackles, 25 Frees For, 16 Frees Against, 35 Goals, 14 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 16 from 16

Career Tally (Games): 29 from 41

My 2 Cents Worth:

RUN RUN RUN & MORE RUN !!!

This is something that we were crying out for at the end of 06 was to increase our pace in the line up.

This was summed up with a record 3 rootube contenders in one week where he made didak look like a fool and setup the ross goal, setup a goal for goldstein and then blitzed the pack and setup another goal assist to give shagger an easy goal.

I love how he is an unselfish player who plays the percentages but also is able to be damaging offensive player and really made the collingwood lineup look slow and flash conscious which freed up other players.

He also managed to kick a composed goal in the 3rd and is really cementing himself in the 22 which is a gr8 sign for the boy from the alice.

i think it will start to occur even more that flash will get more minutes on the wing as an impact player where he can use the boundary on the wing to really blitz off opponents and play the percentages to really damage opposition mids.

I would still say that the saints game was his better game in terms of his goalkicking and getting more of the pill but in the context of the pies game playing on the big stage and giving north heaps of dash will be more remembered.

Round 16 Rating: 8/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.63/10 (90/160)

Career Average Rating: 5/10 (145/290)

Campbell shows he's no flash in the pan
Martin Boulton | July 23, 2008

A DAZZLING three-bounce run and handball to Shannon Grant in the closing stages against Collingwood was a highlight of North Melbourne's thrilling win last Friday night.

After swooping on a loose ball, Matt "Flash" Campbell slipped past an opponent, raced towards goal and dished off a looping handball over another Magpie's head to the waiting Grant. Goal.

It was the moment the Kangaroos sealed victory over the Magpies and confirmed September action was still very much in their sights.

Despite an inconsistent year, the Roos' small men have produced moments of brilliance and could help cement a top-eight spot against Melbourne on Sunday.

Grant, who returned to the side last week after a club-imposed suspension, said successive wins had built "a really strong belief among the group" heading into the final six rounds.

"Over the last two or three weeks that consistency we've been able to build probably puts us in a good position to give it a decent tilt this year," he said.

"We got whacked between the eyes a few times last year, but that was last year and this year we've shown we can match it with the better sides in the competition."

Brent Harvey, who starred in the Roos' win on Friday night, said the introduction of new players had rejuvenated the side after last year's preliminary-final loss.

"Gavin Urquhart, Ben Ross, Matt Campbell and Lindsay Thomas have stepped up (and) I reckon we're a better team," Harvey said.

Campbell, who finished with 15 disposals against Collingwood, is relishing the chance to play a key role in just his second year at Arden Street.

Thomas (also in his second year) and Campbell have kicked 47 goals between them.

"Lindsay Thomas, 'Shagger' (Grant) and me have been working well together," Campbell said.

"We try to kick goals when the ball hits the ground and if we don't get our hands on it first, then we put pressure on and make it hard for teams to get it out."

If that's his job description, Campbell's employers should be pleased with his development.

The 21-year-old has played every game since coming off the rookie list last year, kicked 25 goals and laid 60 tackles — the third most at the club behind Daniel Harris and skipper Adam Simpson.

While his thrilling pace explains the nickname, it's his tackling that helps earn him a regular spot.

"Back home in Alice (Springs) I played a more attacking style, then at North Adelaide I started adapting to that forward pressure role," he said.

"It's been a really good challenge and I'm just enjoying each week, putting one game behind another."

Off-field, he says, teammate Eddie Sansbury helped him settle into life in Melbourne, while on-field Daniel Wells and Harvey have been a major influence.

"We get great leadership on-field, so I was never worried about that; it's more the off-field I was worried about, not knowing anybody in Melbourne."

He said Melbourne's "cold, very cold" weather was another challenge, but earning a regular senior spot and working towards the fnals had kept him focused.

With AAP

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/campbells-no-flash-in-the-pan/2008/07/22/1216492448314.html

In today's Age.

A DAZZLING three-bounce run and handball to Shannon Grant in the closing stages against Collingwood was a highlight of North Melbourne's thrilling win last Friday night.

After swooping on a loose ball, Matt "Flash" Campbell slipped past an opponent, raced towards goal and dished off a looping handball over another Magpie's head to the waiting Grant. Goal.

It was the moment the Kangaroos sealed victory over the Magpies and confirmed September action was still very much in their sights.

Despite an inconsistent year, the Roos' small men have produced moments of brilliance and could help cement a top-eight spot against Melbourne on Sunday.

Grant, who returned to the side last week after a club-imposed suspension, said successive wins had built "a really strong belief among the group" heading into the final six rounds.

"Over the last two or three weeks that consistency we've been able to build probably puts us in a good position to give it a decent tilt this year," he said.

"We got whacked between the eyes a few times last year, but that was last year and this year we've shown we can match it with the better sides in the competition."

Brent Harvey, who starred in the Roos' win on Friday night, said the introduction of new players had rejuvenated the side after last year's preliminary-final loss.

"Gavin Urquhart, Ben Ross, Matt Campbell and Lindsay Thomas have stepped up (and) I reckon we're a better team," Harvey said.

Campbell, who finished with 15 disposals against Collingwood, is relishing the chance to play a key role in just his second year at Arden Street.

Thomas (also in his second year) and Campbell have kicked 47 goals between them.

"Lindsay Thomas, 'Shagger' (Grant) and me have been working well together," Campbell said.

"We try to kick goals when the ball hits the ground and if we don't get our hands on it first, then we put pressure on and make it hard for teams to get it out."

If that's his job description, Campbell's employers should be pleased with his development.

The 21-year-old has played every game since coming off the rookie list last year, kicked 25 goals and laid 60 tackles — the third most at the club behind Daniel Harris and skipper Adam Simpson.

While his thrilling pace explains the nickname, it's his tackling that helps earn him a regular spot.

"Back home in Alice (Springs) I played a more attacking style, then at North Adelaide I started adapting to that forward pressure role," he said.

"It's been a really good challenge and I'm just enjoying each week, putting one game behind another."

Off-field, he says, teammate Eddie Sansbury helped him settle into life in Melbourne, while on-field Daniel Wells and Harvey have been a major influence.

"We get great leadership on-field, so I was never worried about that; it's more the off-field I was worried about, not knowing anybody in Melbourne."

He said Melbourne's "cold, very cold" weather was another challenge, but earning a regular senior spot and working towards the fnals had kept him focused.

In today's Age.

He is fast becoming one of my favourite players. The last game vs Collingwood was huge. Just seems to keep on running like the Energizer bunny, hope he can keep it up.

Round 17: Match Report

Round 17 Statistics: 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 10 possessions, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 1 frees for, 0 frees against, 1 goals, 0 behinds

2008 Statistics: 124 kicks, 68 handballs, 192 possessions, 36 marks, 63 tackles, 17 frees for, 13 frees against, 26 goals, 11 behinds

Career Statistics: 184 kicks, 98 handballs, 282 possessions, 48 marks, 106 tackles, 26 Frees For, 16 Frees Against, 36 Goals, 14 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 17 from 17

Career Tally (Games): 30 from 42

My 2 Cents Worth:

Matty played a very workmanlike game on the weekend which consolidated his matchwinning performance in R16.

He played like a man that wanted to do his job, play the percentages and show the odd bit of flair in a game that desperately needed it.

He outclassed jones (melb) to kick a running goal but besides that stuck to his guns and gave a good account of himself and laid some good tackles which resulted in goals.

Round 16 Rating: 5.5/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.62/10 (95.5/170)

Career Average Rating: 5.02/10 (150.5/300)

Round 18: Match Report

Round 18 Statistics: 5 kicks, 4 handballs, 9 possessions, 1 marks, 2 tackles, 1 frees for, 0 frees against, 2 goals, 1 behinds

2008 Statistics: 129 kicks, 72 handballs, 201 possessions, 37 marks, 65 tackles, 18 frees for, 13 frees against, 28 goals, 12 behinds

Career Statistics: 189 kicks, 102 handballs, 291 possessions, 49 marks, 108 tackles, 27 Frees For, 16 Frees Against, 38 Goals, 15 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 18 from 18

Career Tally (Games): 31 from 43

My 2 Cents Worth:

I dont think matty will remember this game for years to come but it was a game where it was in the balance and he stepped up for 2 vital goals in the 3rd quarter.

After a relatively quiet 1st half, his 3rd quarter was where he made his biggest impact.

He firstly applied forward pressure and tackled adcock to get the free kick and the goal then his second came from a grima bullet :D

1 thing that got boomer pissed off was when he got the free but matty took the advantage and was forced onto a difficult angle and gave away a set shot on goal but this will be something matty will learn over time.

Round 18 Rating: 4/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.53/10 (99.5/180)

Career Average Rating: 4.98/10 (154.5/310)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Medhurst and Steve Johnson the 2 small forwards.

They should both be HFF but we know that they stick mids on the flanks so they can pick 10 of them.

Matty prob the 3rd best...I'd take Matty's season over Rioli's season any day of the week...he's been superb.

Cool Rooboy in WA, I wonder if the club can get 50 members who like and love watching flash...I wonder...Join up all Matt Campbell admirers after today game sign him up and he is our leading goal kicker this season.

Been a fan since he played in South Australia when a bloke told me about him early on in 06.

used to follow him regularly when he played at the roosters.

also since R1 last year every time matty scores we do the chant

FLASH ARGH !!! like in flash gordon.

Been a fan since he played in South Australia when a bloke told me about him early on in 06.

used to follow him regularly when he played at the roosters.

also since R1 last year every time matty scores we do the chant

FLASH ARGH !!! like in flash gordon.

I've been joining in with that recently.

Nice wager won by one of your lot in the first quarter. Was quite amusing the emotional rollercoaster going on with whoever it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back