Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell is currently a game breaker off the rookie list and Rioli was highly rated like # 12.

Thomas has won a few games off his own boot a pick # 53?

It would be more reasonable to pick a closer draft pick, like Urquhart at # 21.

Oh look, we win on all 3 counts.

Your ****ing kidding right?

Some of the bullshit, one-eyed crap that gets bandied around this forum is laughable.

Cyril will be a superstar of the competition.

Matty will be a solid, if not very good player for North, but never reach elite status.

Having said that, right now, Matty is arguably the best forward pocket going around.

LOL

Just watch. Bookmark the shit out of this thread; but Matty Campbell will be become a devil in the midfield in 2 years or so. Speed, time and precision disposal.

LOL

Just watch. Bookmark the shit out of this thread; but Matty Campbell will be become a devil in the midfield in 2 years or so. Speed, time and precision disposal.

He does have the champ of that role now showing him how it's done in harvey.. Could have some ridiculous skills in the middle. Him and Lachy need to be sent to Kentucky Fried, and become the new kentucky kids.

Rioli has a lot of hype, it is much harder for Campbell to be as good as he is in his second year. Trust me, in 2009 clubs will have seen Rioli and will do their homework on him and get better matchups on him.

Campbell has had an incredible 2008 so far.

Rioli has a lot of hype, it is much harder for Campbell to be as good as he is in his second year. Trust me, in 2009 clubs will have seen Rioli and will do their homework on him and get better matchups on him.

Campbell has had an incredible 2008 so far.
I dont think clubs would have looked at Campbell as a threat this year.

He has exceeded expectations I reckon.

Thing about Campbell is it is doubtful his pace will ever be matched for a long time, so he will always have that over everyone and can use it to his advantage. It is one magic trick that cannot be beaten.

Look, if we had Rioli and the Hawks had Cambell, we'd be saying that Rioli was much better that Cambell.. no doubt. The truth is they are both tremendous young players that any team would be happy to have on their list. This thread should be created in 2018. Then, we will be able to make proper educated comparissons.

Look, if we had Rioli and the Hawks had Cambell, we'd be saying that Rioli was much better that Cambell.. no doubt. The truth is they are both tremendous young players that any team would be happy to have on their list. This thread should be created in 2018. Then, we will be able to make proper educated comparissons.

Exactly this is a spot on post, both players are great for there clubs and if it was in reverse we would be saying the same things.

On a pure talent benefit to the club basis if you asked me if I would do a straight swap, i would probably say yes - but I certainly wouldn't do it in a heart beat. In no way is it a foregone conclusion that Rioli will be better than Campbell. Matty obviously has the speed and awesome goal kicking ability, but if he can push into the midfield he can be very, very special.. He is a great thinker with his field kicking, knows exactly where to kick to a leading forward. plenty of similarities between a young Boomer and a young Campbell - and we have boomer to guide him every step of the way.

And if we did the swap of Campbell for Rioli right now, our finals chances for 2008 would take a hit.

He does have the champ of that role now showing him how it's done in harvey.. Could have some ridiculous skills in the middle. Him and Lachy need to be sent to Kentucky Fried, and become the new kentucky kids.
I'm not one to argue with the naive, or "ill-informed" to be PC, however, I can't let this slide.

Elite category would consist of what, 10-15 in the league? Read my letters;

Matthew Campbell will NOT be an elite player in the AFL. Ever. Period. Full Stop. Whatever you want to end the sentence with.

Like I said, he will be a very good, maybe even great player for North, but never elite.

Round 20: Match Report

Round 20 Statistics
:
1 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 possessions, 1 marks, 1 tackles, 0 frees for, 0 frees against, 0 goals, 0 behinds

2008 Statistics: 136 kicks, 82 handballs, 218 possessions, 38 marks, 71 tackles, 18 frees for, 14 frees against, 31 goals, 13 behinds

Career Statistics: 196 kicks, 112 handballs, 308 possessions, 50 marks, 114 tackles, 27 Frees For, 17 Frees Against, 41 Goals, 16 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 20 from 20

Career Tally (Games): 33 from 45

My 2 Cents Worth:

Probably up there as being his quietest game for the season. Only real highlight was his goal assist to jonesy in the 2nd quarter.

There was talk of an injury but there is no sign of injury on any injury lists around town.

Round 18 Rating: 2/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.45/10 (109/200)

Career Average Rating: 4.97/10 (164/330)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC correctly he had tightness near his buttock, which he also had against WB and they decided to leave him off the field for the last Q and a half as a precaution.

IIRC correctly he had tightness near his buttock, which he also had against WB and they decided to leave him off the field for the last Q and a half as a precaution.

Sweet thanks 4 that, I noticed he was off for a period of time but with no real news about it wasnt sure of the extent of the injury.

No story here according to our injury list

Nathan Thompson (ankle) - test
Jesse Smith (hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
Leigh Adams (knee) - season
Nathan Grima (knee) - season

According to Doc Larkins on MMM after the game last Sunday he has tightness at the top of his hammy...so it's not injured as such...but with someone as explosive as Matty probably best not to risk him if it's tight/sore.

Hang on a sec, wasn't he possibly heading up to the NT during this week for his cousin's funeral? If so, that would explain his absence and the associated innuendo.

T'toes

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back