Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

First game missed for the season and we really needed him today.

Was reported by JYD leg soreness and the fact that he went home for his cousins funeral was the reason for giving him a rest and being only in his 2nd season, a rest was needed to freshen up for the finals.

Round 22: Match Report

Round 22 Statistics: 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 12 possessions, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3 frees for, 1 frees against, 1 goals, 0 behinds

2008 Statistics: 142 kicks, 88 handballs, 230 possessions, 42 marks, 73 tackles, 21 frees for, 15 frees against, 32 goals, 13 behinds

Career Statistics: 202 kicks, 118 handballs, 320 possessions, 54 marks, 116 tackles, 30 Frees For, 18 Frees Against, 42 Goals, 16 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 21 from 22

Career Tally (Games): 34 from 47

My 2 Cents Worth:

Lets just say due to the frustration of last game, I didnt really analyse the game that much.

Matty will be good for the run this week and 1 thing that you can take out of this game is that Matty continued to have a dip and work hard despite the situation during the game. That should show to the club that this bloke is super keen and can hold his head up high

Round 22 Rating: 5/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.43/10 (114/210)

Career Average Rating: 4.97/10 (169/340)

Campbell wants second helping

EMERGING North Melbourne forward Matt Campbell hopes his finals debut will have a sequel after Saturday night's sudden-death match against the Sydney Swans.

Campbell's first taste of September action will also be his inaugural trip to the Harbour City, as a player and a tourist, and he plans to return with some good memories.

While understanding that no player is safe after a 76-point thrashing -- the Roos' result against Port Adelaide last weekend -- the 21-year-old is only waylaying some of his excitement.

"If everything goes to plan and I train well and the coach isn't too angry ... I get an opportunity," he said.

"Obviously last year I missed out on the finals, so I'm very excited and just looking forward to getting out there and having some fun I suppose."

After 11 games in 2007, Campbell has played 21 this season and kicked 32 goals as a key component of North Melbourne's well-rounded attack that has shared 128 across David Hale, Corey Jones, Lindsay Thomas and Nathan Thompson.

Hale leads the goalkicking with 35, after a recent spate of form that has produced 15 in three weeks.

It's where Campbell considers North may carry an edge over the Swans, especially if fellow power forward Thompson returns from an ankle injury and two weeks in the VFL.

"Last week against Brisbane they (the Lions) only had the two talls and I think Sydney loved that," he said. "They just zoned off the small blokes that help out (Daniel) Bradshaw and (Jonathan) Brown.

"I don't know what the go is with team selection this week. Maybe they (North Melbourne's coaching staff) might go with a tall and have a few smalls down there, but I'd say there'd be a fair balance in whatever they go with.

"When your big blokes are in form and they're marking, we have to find our ball somewhere else because we're not getting the fall of the ball.
"It's good when the other forwards are stepping up, you look at our leading goalkickers list and there's about three or four of us on 30 goals."

It's North Melbourne's first game at ANZ Stadium, with the side to train there on Friday afternoon, and Campbell says the focus on the Swans and the venue replaced the disappointment of the loss to Port Adelaide pretty quickly.

"I think once we had a look at the review [on Monday], we were pretty honest with each other, and once that happened we put it behind us," he said.

"Today's a new day, pretty much a new week, today's all about Sydney for the rest of the week until we play them. We're pretty keen to get up there.

"Last week we didn't really speak about the top four or anything. It was more about getting the win for Shannon Grant.
"We let Shannon Grant and his family down, and our supporters."

Elimination Final: Match Report

Elimination Final Statistics
:
8 kicks, 3 handballs, 11 possessions, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 0 frees for, 1 frees against, 0 goals, 1 behinds

2008 Statistics: 150 kicks, 91 handballs, 241 possessions, 46 marks, 76 tackles, 21 frees for, 16 frees against, 32 goals, 14 behinds

Career Statistics: 210 kicks, 121 handballs, 331 possessions, 58 marks, 120 tackles, 30 Frees For, 19 Frees Against, 42 Goals, 17 Behinds

2008 Tally (Games): 22 from 23 (including 1 final from 1)

Career Tally (Games): 35 from 48 (including 1 final from 4)

My 2 Cents Worth:

I think this was a massive learning experience for matty. Was controversially given a behind despite clearly being a goal.

Was a game where he went quiet for periods but the thing you get from Matty is he runs and runs and will always put in a good effort.

Round 22 Rating: 5/10

2008 Average Rating: 5.41/10 (119/220)

Career Average Rating: 4.97/10 (174/350)

Campbell takes plenty for Grant-ed

THOUGH North Melbourne champion Shannon Grant's career ended far sooner than his teammates would have hoped, trust his legacy to live on through at least one of the club's younger players.

Grant announced his retirement in the lead-up to his 300th game, against Port Adelaide in round 22, with a heavy defeat to the Power sending the Roos north to tackle the Sydney Swans in last weekend's elimination final.
For a side that strung six straight wins from rounds 15 to 20, and looked likely to retain fourth spot and a double chance in the finals, the send-off was far from fitting as the Swans booked a semi-final date with a 35-point win.

North Melbourne now looks to 2009, without Grant as a player and, as small forward Matt Campbell suggested last week, a significant void to fill.
Confirmation of Grant's departure was a surprise for Campbell, who has worked closely with the 31-year-old since joining the Roos at the end of 2006.

"It was probably a little bit of a shock that two years I've been here now and he's giving it away now," he said.
"Maybe he thinks, or the coaching staff thinks, that we're ready to take over his role. It would be good if he does hang around in some kind of role and help us out a lot more, because I reckon we've still got a lot more to learn off him."

Grant's tutelage of Campbell and another emerging indigenous player, Lindsay Thomas, has been well-documented and senior coach Dean Laidley recently acknowledged the work the veteran also did with the Calder Cannons and the under-18 Vic Metro side this year.
"He's probably got life after footy now and I'm sure his phone's going to be running hot with people wanting Shannon Grant to be involved in their football club or to coach them or to develop them, because he's got a great eye for that sort of thing," Laidley said.
Following the loss to the Power, Campbell expressed his regret of the result with Grant in mind.

"It was obviously disappointing for someone who's given or helped me so much, to not repay him on probably the biggest day of his career," he said.
"Because we play the same role, every training session we're pretty much around each other, every meeting we go to we're in the same meeting.
"[I'm] just trying to pretty much learn what he does, not so much on the field but off the field. I've been around his house that many times now and seeing how he conducts himself with his family and his kids, it just shows how professional he is.

"I suppose you can learn something out of that, maybe one day when I get to that stage."
Campbell played 22 of North Melbourne's 23 games this season, and shared third place with Thomas in the club's goalkicking with 32.

Maybe matty will get shaggers number for 2009.

Flash got his first brownlow vote last night for his R18 effort against the lions. if he was to get 1 vote, i wouldnt of thought it was this game as he only had 9 touches and 2 goals.

Had an impact in the 2nd half but by no means deserved a vote for this game.

Career Votes: 1

2008 Votes: 1

G,day Roos supporters.
I was talking to Matt Campbells Father Roy Arbon in Alice Springs this morning and I commented how it was good to se him play for Australia in the Inter rules thingy.
I was actually surprised to see him selected but they did go for pace and he is very quick.
What do you North people actually think of him as a player?I believe he has done better than expectations.

He is one of my favorite players. Chases hard, is lightning quick, tackles, kicks goals, works hard, does all the team things and has super skills as well. His defensive work in the forward fifty is crucial for the success of the side.

He has come a long way in a relatively short period of time, and has surprised me a little. If he continues to improve he will clearly be one of the elite small forwards in the league... and very fast!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the football department were serious about trading for high picks, they would've used Cambpell or Thomas, by offering the 3 guys they did was only a motivational exercise, whether that is succesful or not only time will tell.

If the football department were serious about trading for high picks, they would've used Cambpell or Thomas, by offering the 3 guys they did was only a motivational exercise, whether that is succesful or not only time will tell.

We don't really know who we offered. Just because it hasn't been made public doesn't mean they weren't floated.

Campbell is one of our success stories of the last 3-4 drafts IMO. He is already our most consistent crumber and his pressure is priceless. If he can keep it going without dropping off (he hasn't yet proved himself over several seasons) and can get fit enough for some midfield rotation, he'd be an absolute gun.

His obvious limitations which I thought would prevent him from making it are easily covered by his strengths - goal sense, speed, hard work and tackling and most importantly for our side - reliable kicking for goal.

He's a good player, kicks goals, pressures the opposition and has chopped out players in the middle of the ground on occassions. Probably just outside our top 10 players, but he is only 22.

come on, Q. His better then that. It was only his second season & he already has become a very important player for us.

come on, Q. His better then that. It was only his second season & he already has become a very important player for us.
Wells Smith McIntosh Hale Firrito Simpson Harvey Pratt Rawlings and Petrie are all better than Campbell. Dont get me wrong, I love the ****, he is a great player and seems like a top bloke (Here we go..) but he isnt in our top 10 best players..yet.

Wells Smith McIntosh Hale Firrito Simpson Harvey Pratt Rawlings and Petrie are all better than Campbell. Dont get me wrong, I love the ****, he is a great player and seems like a top bloke (Here we go..) but he isnt in our top 10 best players..yet.

Don't consider Rawlings in our top 10. He doesn't make that big of an impact, IMO. I think he is more a love child of Dean Laidley so thats why he seems to poll well in the B&F.

BTW, Campbell's very much like Wellsy in the way he goes about it, off field. Very shy, like Wellsy but very smart.

Wellsy's a good bloke to copy, off field. Very good role model.

Yeah, Rawlings has slipped from my rankings, but 2 Best and Fairests and his work agaisnt opponents for years now has to rank him higher than Campbell who has had one good year. If Rawlings sticks to tagging, he is definitely in my top 10 and top 3 important players on the ground, when he shuts down a Judd to 18 possessions, he is just about in my votes already.

Yeah, Rawlings has slipped from my rankings, but 2 Best and Fairests and his work agaisnt opponents for years now has to rank him higher than Campbell who has had one good year. If Rawlings sticks to tagging, he is definitely in my top 10 and top 3 important players on the ground, when he shuts down a Judd to 18 possessions, he is just about in my votes already.

Yeah, i agree, when he is strictly tagging. But he didn't do much of that in 2008.

Yet he still finished in the top 3 of the B&F. Somethings clearly wrong with that.

What impresses me most of Matt Campbell is that he never gives up and his tackling pressure is BLOODY awesome. He is not a major ball winner but he will have 5 kicks and all off them will set up a goal most of the time. His signature move is the ball going over his head in the pocket then he runs around and takes the players on with his pace and kicks the goal. He is my favourite player. He is so tiny but he can still take down players like Will Minson to the ground and get holding the ball. He had the most tackles at the club and was leading the goalkicking tally before he got injuried and missed a few weeks in the later half of the season. He has done very well this season. The future of the NMFC midfield.

Matt has to continue to run as hard to get the loose ball/create options as he does when he's chasing.

He improved heaps from '07 to '08. He's still got plenty of improvement in him.

Strangely, I don't want him to copy Wellsy, even though I'm a huge Wells fan. I want Matty to develop a selfish, arrogant streak.

Don't consider Rawlings in our top 10. He doesn't make that big of an impact, IMO. I think he is more a love child of Dean Laidley so thats why he seems to poll well in the B&F.

BTW, Campbell's very much like Wellsy in the way he goes about it, off field. Very shy, like Wellsy but very smart.

Wellsy's a good bloke to copy, off field. Very good role model.

You do realise that Dean isnt the only one who votes on the Syd Barker.

When Rawlings is tagging he makes an impact because usually his man doesnt.

Campbell is a freak. 32 goals and 70 tackles from a midget in his second year of footy. He should have been in the AA team. Isnt that right Vossy?

Matt has to continue to run as hard to get the loose ball/create options as he does when he's chasing.

He improved heaps from '07 to '08. He's still got plenty of improvement in him.

Strangely, I don't want him to copy Wellsy, even though I'm a huge Wells fan. I want Matty to develop a selfish, arrogant streak.

I dont want Matty to be either. He is the most team oriented player we have in the side IMHO. I would like him to be confident in his ability but not to the point where arrogance is making him think he is better than what he is or make him think that he is allowed to go outside the team rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #33: Matty Campbell - delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back