Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

you know its all well and good to have black and petrie doing really good stuff for the team, but at the end of the day both have had miserable seasons doing the thing they are paid for, and thats kicking goals.

Wood kicked 3 goals in his first game. Black kicked 0 in that same game.
And Black's best games this season have been against Sydney and Hawthorn, at least we know he can turn it on against the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you know its all well and good to have black and petrie doing really good stuff for the team, but at the end of the day both have had miserable seasons doing the thing they are paid for, and thats kicking goals.

Wood kicked 3 goals in his first game. Black kicked 0 in that same game.
That's kind of a random criticism.

edit: Me English not goody good.

edit: Well, it's not good that a forward isn't kicking goals but one game isn't the sample size we want to use to justify booting out a player.

Last edited:
There is room for both.

Will Wood be exposed going the other way?
While his many adoring fans would have enjoyed his debut (it wasn't a bad one), he did look in No Man's Land a bit defensively a few times, and let's not forget his man kicked a couple too.

And Black's best games this season have been against Sydney and Hawthorn, at least we know he can turn it on against the best

Yes, those were his two best games of the season. Look, i am well aware that he has to play. But the decision not to play wood earlier this year was wrong. It would have given us a viable option heading into to finals to use. we all know what black is capable of, but really this year just wasnt his, and whilst we had a fit, in form option, he should have played. We now carry a forward line with a first year player, and two key forwards having their worst seasons in recent memory.

They'd be seriously keen to get at least one of them kicking some goals saturday or we will be fighting against ourselves as well as the bombers.

Yes, those were his two best games of the season. Look, i am well aware that he has to play. But the decision not to play wood earlier this year was wrong. It would have given us a viable option heading into to finals to use. we all know what black is capable of, but really this year just wasnt his, and whilst we had a fit, in form option, he should have played. We now carry a forward line with a first year player, and two key forwards having their worst seasons in recent memory.

They'd be seriously keen to get at least one of them kicking some goals saturday or we will be fighting against ourselves as well as the bombers.
Mate I'm with you Wood should have been in team 11 weeks ago, confusing why he wasn't. But now I am not sure his second game should be a final, we can't be too inexperienced this week as it looks like Turner will play.

That's kind of a random criticism.

edit: Me English not goody good.

edit: Well, it's not good that a forward isn't kicking goals but one game isn't the sample size we want to use to justify booting out a player.
Correct. there are plenty other games black has performed abysmally that i should have added. i said it to juryduty. He will play. The decision not to play wood so we could at least have another option heading into finals was wrong. Now we have one option, and his year has been a disaster.

Mate I'm with you Wood should have been in team 11 weeks ago, confusing why he wasn't. But now I am not sure his second game should be a final, we can't be too inexperienced this week as it looks like Turner will play.

Wood shouldnt play. It would be a mistake. we just have to will that forward line to produce something.

Black has been poor all year and been quite disappointing. In saying that playing forward has not been easy this season with our gameplan and lack of quality disposal.

Wood showed impressive signs. I do think he has the makings of a quality AFL player and is exciting.

Black won't get dropped after carrying him so long (ala Adams), so it really comes down to whether we keep Wood - knowing how Brad selects I would say he will miss the final to fit in his favourites.

Going into next season I would definitely think both would be playing 1s.

Last edited:
Brad Scott just said in his press conference that Black does great stuff for the team that does not show up on the stats sheet. He is playing this week.
The question is will Wood join him?

Very hard to get a goal when up the ground so often, ever thought it is part of team strategy that we don't know about, his score assist this season has been impressive.

Yes, Black will play.

Wood showed on the weekend and in the VFL that he can be very handy, and flexible. He plays well as a forward if Black is up the ground, and he can play on the wing and kick it beautifully into the F50. On the downside, it's not a great recommendation that a game against Melbourne shows up your defensive deficiencies, and they might decide he doesn't yet have the fitness to play out a tough finals game - we'd be especially stuffed if we got other injuries during the game if anyone can't run our four quarters.

It would be exciting if they could squeeze Wood into the team as well - might depend on who is fit to play and how the opposition looks like shaping up. Probably an emergency.

Not discounting his good debut, but I'd be very surprised if it's even a thought that Wood plays.

As many have said, that may have been different if he had been played earlier in the year, as he should have.

If the answer is Black Wood, then Twinkletoes is very happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can both play so as long as we can squeeze in Currie, Petrie, Brown and Maj on one leg as well (with Curran named as an emergency).

No time for silliness. Black will play and I doubt there's room for Wood in the side. He may have kicked 3 but his opponent kicked two goals through poor defensive lapses.

There is room for both.

Will Wood be exposed going the other way?
There's certainly room for both, just not yet for Wood - he would definitely be burned defensively against *. But next year giddy up!

Last edited:
Doesn't have the fitness? Wood laps Black and the other forwards in the time trials.....

If Scott does pick Black then I'll tell you one thing - regardless of what people think in terms of 'other stuff' Black does he hasn't by any measure performed to the standards expected this season and there have been a few occasions where dropping him would've been justified - anyway, if Scott does pick Black then Black needs to understand the coach has shown immense faith in him this season and there is no better way or place to repay that faith than in a massive game which means a lot to a lot of people, not least of which the coach!

Black will be selected and I hope he understands the coach has shown a lot of faith in him and he owes something to that faith shown. Supporters have also shown tremendous faith in him - and his reduced output this season can all be forgotten with a big performance, in a winning game on Saturday Night.

C'mon Aaron! Time to perform mate.

Black is playing. Not maybe, might or won't! As much as a huge majority of us NM people and members don't think he has earned the privilege, he will line up END OF STORY
yep and Black has a great opportunity to wipe this season clean and make it a meaningful not just from the clubs perspective but from his.
no dropped chest marks, no poor conversion, no disappearing - time to stand up Aaron. it really is.

Still awaiting an genuine review of Woods game, unfortunately I had to miss it, would be appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back