Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, tied for 19th in the AFL for goal assists. Behind only LT and Boomer from North.
I don't think we can have both in the team, and Black is far more settled.

Don't let us know the facts that get in the way of the story that Black has been shite and deserved to be dropped this year (and Wood put in his place ...). Next you'll tell me that Adams doesn't fumble, that Petrie performs in big games, and that Brad Scott doesn't have favourites ...

He kicked 3, but his man, Mcdonald kicked 2. That sort of sums up his game IMO.

He looked great offensively but either couldn't, or didn't know how to stop his man (that i don't think has kicked many goals before) from almost undoing all his good work.

Black is a much better bet on Saturday night. But is Wood a better bet than Adams, Jacobs, Mullett etc.

That is another question.

Ok, cheers TBL, also wondering what his movement & positioning was like, did he look like a 'natural forward' and have a bit of confirdence about him?

Ok, cheers TBL, also wondering what his movement & positioning was like, did he look like a 'natural forward' and have a bit of confirdence about him?

Yes to all the above. Very penetrating kick.

I don't buy this Wood will "get exposed" defensively stuff.

We have multiple players who are poor defensively but their strengths outweigh this. Boomer, Wells , Dal Santo are all very poor defensive players and would be close to first picked each week.

I would rather play an attacking player like Wood who looks dangerous on the wing and around the fwd line (on his one AFL game and all the VFL vision), than some of the midfield plodders we select each week.

We have multiple players who are poor defensively but their strengths outweigh this. Boomer, Wells , Dal Santo are all very poor defensive players and would be close to first picked each week.

I would rather play an attacking player like Wood who looks dangerous on the wing and around the fwd line (on his one AFL game and all the VFL vision), than some of the midfield plodders we select each week.

Are you speaking about accountability for a man or specifically defensive skills like tackling, smothering etc?

Wood was exposed defensively Saturday night against Melbourne. His player kicked 2 goals on him.

I hope you are not suggesting that the players you listed are the midfield plodders.

Wood was maning someone else on the 1st goal and Black was late to get to McDonald. Wood may have been covering someone else man and no one covered his.

The second he was goal side and the ball went over him from the opposite pocket.

I was watching both McDonald goals closely enough (I was barely watching the ball last Satrurday), so this post is correct & correct.

Wood actually pushed up quite well on the 1st McDonald goal... Enough to cover another player (which is good team play). The ball went over his head, where Black was too concerned about his direct opponent & slow to get to McDonald.

Wood did similar on the 2nd McDonald goal, but learnt from the initial mistake by staying a bit closer to his man. Unfortunately, he just didn't push back hard enough in his spoil attempt.

I actually think this is his main deficiency right now; It's not the running or defensive positioning, but more his body work. Let's be honest; even his VFL games have shown he's more a finesse player than someone looking for body contact.

where wood went wrong
is that he played a bit bruise free and did a bit of ball watching
which is perfectly understandable however he didn't demand selection and wont be selected

as for black, he is not really going for marks above his head, he basically competes with his opponent but he leaves it for Drew and Browny in the air
Seems to have some touch back even tho the goalkicking is a bit dismal at present

Personally wld be happy to see both in but we will go for experience Sat
as we already have Lmac BB and Turner as !st Yr players, that's enuf

where wood went wrong
is that he played a bit bruise free and did a bit of ball watching
which is perfectly understandable however he didn't demand selection and wont be selected

as for black, he is not really going for marks above his head, he basically competes with his opponent but he leaves it for Drew and Browny in the air
Seems to have some touch back even tho the goalkicking is a bit dismal at present

Personally wld be happy to see both in but we will go for experience Sat
as we already have Lmac BB and Turner as !st Yr players, that's enuf

This is the problem in debuting him in a game that meant nothing where the vast majority of the team just wanted to get the win in the bank and move on to focus on the following week.

If he'd played a few weeks during the year including some games where we played a full squad with everyone out for the win we'd actually be able to see how he went.

Based on a nothing game, where most of the team went at half rat power is no way to judge what the kid is capable of. Its not fair on him and puts us at risk of having him not perform biting us in the arse.

Its what will get him left out of the side this week.

Wood has been given a taste and will now spend the summer priming himself for what will hopefully be a strong 2015 season at AFL level.

Wood was exposed defensively Saturday night against Melbourne. His player kicked 2 goals on him.

I hope you are not suggesting that the players you listed are the midfield plodders.

I'm not convinced that was the case. On TV you can't always pick up what is going on behind the scenes but I read he and Black had defenders switching so arguably both could be equally accountable. That may be wrong just what I read.

Of course I am not suggesting those listed players are plodders? I am saying they are excellent players despite defensive deficiency, so I don't know why Wood (like Greenwood previously) is so harshly marked standards wise when various 1s players get away with it every week.

In terms of plodders I would keep Wood in before our depth midfields who offer little different to those in front of them.

Are you speaking about accountability for a man or specifically defensive skills like tackling, smothering etc?

Both form what I've read re' VFL reports. But I'd argue Adams has given nothing defensively all year, Bastinac likewise, and both haven't provided much else at times. Boomer goes half hearted defensively and has done his entire career. Wells used to be a defensive beast in early years, in later years he also doesn't put in like he used to.

As ^^ it seems under Scott our VFL players are harsher marked than the incumbents in terms of identifying and addressing faults. It is almost hypocritical. I know you were one to be baffled/amazed by the way Greenwood was omitted continually despite his strengths, as was I - and I am saying Wood falls into this basket both in terms of not being given a game for so long, and if he were to be dropped for being weak defensively.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced that was the case. ON TV you can't pick up what is going on behind the scenes but I read he and Black where switching defenders so arguably both were equally accountable. That may eb wrong.

Of course I am not suggesting those players are plodders. I am saying they are excellent players despite midfield deficiency, so I don't know why Wood (like Greenwood previously) is so harshly marked standards wise when various 1s players get away with it every week.

As I said earlier
Based on a nothing game, where most of the team went at half rat power is no way to judge what the kid is capable of. Its not fair on him and puts us at risk of having him not perform biting us in the arse.

Its what will get him left out of the side this week.

The kid did very little wrong, but we are conservative, it is how the coaching staff play it. I can't see him getting a gig this week, its not our MO.

We will have almost a full list to choose from, there are going to be some unlucky guys on Thursday.

I expect that Wood will kick the shit out of 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both form what I've read re' VFL reports. But I'd argue Adams has given nothing defensively all year, Bastinac likewise, and both haven't provided much else at times. Boomer goes half hearted defensively and has done his entire career. Wells used to be a defensive beast in early years, in later years he also doesn't put in like he used to.

As ^^ it seems under Scott our VFL players are harsher marked than the incumbents in terms of identifying and addressing faults. It is almost hypocritical. I know you were one to be baffled/amazed by the way Greenwood was omitted continually despite his strengths, as was I - and I am saying Wood falls into this basket both in terms of not being given a game for so long, and if he were to be dropped for being weak defensively.

Agree with all that, I was referring specifically to Wells but you captured it well. He started off a really naturally desperate defensive player but it has trailed off over his career unfortunately.

Agree with all that, I was referring specifically to Wells but you captured it well. He started off a really naturally desperate defensive player but it has trailed off over his career unfortunately.

Ah, just noticed your bold on Wells in the reply. Apologies.

Yep I remember when drafted he prowled like a tiger and opposition within radius were always under the pump - in fact his defensive side was probably more advanced than his offensive work. That has really dropped off from his game, maybe just a mindset thing now he has developed other skills.

don't see as much live as most of you, but given the injury to grima, could black play as a tall defender, has he got that in him? particularly the way his kicking has been of late, alah john longmire
No! Tippett a much better option, hasn't been beaten one on one at any level all season, plus spud to come back in. Now is no time for that sort of tinkering. Grima sounds like he will play, Hansen is the concern.

How Wood gets dropped instead of Black is a mystery to me. Black done absolutely nothing last week so much the same as every other week this year.

Thought he was good in that last Q last night...unlucky to not get that sliding free kick in the dying minutes....but at least he is presenting and running.

Would like to see some more goals, but I think I am getting how he is being used now.

He doesn't seem to be playing anywhere near the goals most of the time - he has little hope of kicking goals but is clearly part of the plan. Hard to judge without knowing much about what he is asked to do other than the fact that he hasn't been dropped so must be keeping the club happy.

Running hard, linking up the back to the forward line and he must be hard to match up on 50-80 meters from goal for a player his size.

I would like to see him kick goals but .......

played up the ground and provided an option a lot. Got on his bike more this week compared to the last month. Liked his game, just needs to start getting more dangerous close to goals.

Some of his long kicks to the danger zone resulted in a few goals, however, we bombed it in far too much against Essendon, once we stopped crabbing it up and moved the ball a lot quicker we had some space to hit up a leading target.

Some of his long kicks to the danger zone resulted in a few goals, however, we bombed it in far too much against Essendon, once we stopped crabbing it up and moved the ball a lot quicker we had some space to hit up a leading target.

we created space in the 2nd half which allowed us to use the pill better going forward.

Essendon and Geelong are probably the two worst teams you can bomb into the forward 50 to, both have quality back lines capable of high numbers of intercept marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back