Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - signs 1yr extension - Roo til end 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He has more talent and upside than both of Drury and Laz combined. Not saying he is a top prospect, far from it, but a 1 year deal sounds about right.
Have no issue they were let go, don’t rate either of them. But Coop should be joining them, I’m not sure where anyone sees “high upside”, he’s far too slow to be a small forward in the modern game and doesn’t really have scope to move into the midfield at this level.

Let’s not sugar coat it, he’s got an extra year because of who his old man is.

He has more talent and upside than both of Drury and Laz combined. Not saying he is a top prospect, far from it, but a 1 year deal sounds about right.

How is he more talented? Physically he has the same limitations as the other two and is less professional.

As far as I'm concerned we will be going into 2025 with Cooper Harvey and CCJ not being up to it, Taylor Goad a long way off being ready and George being injured for the year and that's just for starters.
Somehow, still better than years previously though

It may have escaped some people but each week, we, as do all clubs, are only allowed to send 23 players out to contest a game. Which means in a perfect no-injuries world, with our extra 2 spots, 21 players are missing out.

So if for arguments sake, after another 12 months on the list, Cooper doesn't make it, is that all that much of a problem? Its not as if he is taking a spot that we might have otherwise filled, with say a top 30/40 draftee, because we don't have a pick in that range.

Every year, every club, has one or more players on their list, who never makes it, never even plays a game. Have a look at this years list of retirements and delistings. There are names on there, as there are every year, who are in that boat, who get delisted and the vast majority of us have never even heard of them.

Every one of those no name, no game, delisted footballers, is the ultimate definition of a list clogger.

On balance of probability, if something doesn't change over the next 12 months, Cooper will get his chance to participate in that list. The ball is absolutely in his court.

But if not him, who else should we have there?

Last edited:
He does have some raw skills that neither Blake or Laz have shown.

Wasn't a fan of us re-signing him but in the scheme of things, he uses the ball well, can find the goals and just maybe the upside of him pulling his finger out could give us an excellent piece up forward who turns his career around and becomes a defence first forward.

His upside is double the other two, I am in the wait and see camp now. If we don't hear he has worked his arse off and completely changed his body shape then we know where we are at.

If he has who knows ....

Cooper is 20 still figuring out his place in the world. Not only does he have his old man's genes, but he has his jeans as well. Or at least access to them.

Our recent track record is dire, 30+ recruits the past eight years that have added very little. I know we need higher standards but right now I think there are worse gambles we could take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may have escaped some people but each week, we, as do all clubs, are only allowed to send 23 players out to contest a game. Which means in a perfect no-injuries world, with our extra 2 spots, 21 players are missing out.

So if for arguments sake, after another 12 months on the list, Cooper doesn't make it, is that all that much of a problem? Its not as if he is taking a spot that we might have otherwise filled, with say a top 30/40 draftee, because we don't have a pick in that range.

Every year, every club, has one of more players on their list, who never makes it, never even plays a game. Have a look at this years list of retirements and delistings. There are names on there, as there are every year, who are in that boat, who get delisted and the vast majority of us have never even heard of them.

Every one of those no name, no game, delisted footballers, is the ultimate definition of a list clogger.

On balance of probability, if something doesn't change over the next 12 months, Cooper will get his chance to participate in that list. The ball is absolutely in his court.

But if not him, who else should we have there?

The interesting thing about it, to me, is that it suggests we are probably not splitting Pick 2. As far as I understand, we will take Stevens with pick 62, and we only have 2 spots left with Harvey resigned. Maybe it's just because there were no good offers (something people here forget sometimes, imo), but if there were, I would much rather have split the pick for two KPPs in the 10-15 range.

Dicey areas, don't mind it overall. Only because it's Boomer's kid.

Has the innate goal sense and ability in 1v1 contests. Players like that can be handy in modern transition football, even if they're not 6'3 or lightning quick. In order to make it he would have to become incredibly hard running and be efficient with the opportunities he gets. Not a lot of room for error in his game.

So who we delisting to have our mandatory 3 draft picks
Pay out Stevo. Fine with Cooper getting anothe year as he's got some talent, but needs to grab the opportunity.
Sometimes it takes players some time to figure out the work required, if he doesn't then he's gone end of 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #37: Cooper Harvey - signs 1yr extension - Roo til end 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back