Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am very happy with the Turtle's effort today and Petrie was much better. I was happier when he wasn't drifting down into defense though but some of his tap outs were very good.

Drew Petire's ruck work especially in the third quarter was sensational. Ended up with 19 H/O's, top of all the ruckmen. And I bet a lot of them were spoon fed to Harris, Simpson or Harvey. I was ecstatic with that one tap during our 6 goal burst, where Petrie knocked it against the motion of the bounce into the hands of Harvey. Great vision.

Also during the second quarter I was waiting for them to mention Drew's tackling which was awesome. Then they showed he had 7, the next was 2. This is only minutes into the second quarter.

Turtle really demonstrated his worth to the club today. What he is capable of. Those numbers are very impressive, and he just looks much more confident lining up. I was most nervous about the one 20m out on a 45 degree angle. His 3rd goal. But too easy he slotted it. Would of probably sprayed it in 2004.

Positive signs.

I must admit, I thought he was washed up, finished, thought it was just a waste playing him in the seniors.

But now I think I've seen a change in attitude. His chase and tackle from behind against the demonds last week certainly got my attention. That was something that I have never seen from him before.

Laids is playing him a little further up field now and his play looks less one dimensional and more team oriented.

It looks promising.

As you said - looks promising. Has been solid & worked harder the last 3 weeks, but I'm sure no one needs reminding, that he's had a few years worth of opportunities to strut his stuff, and it's taken an ultimatum from the coach to get this out of him.

Happy (very) for the new & improved Turtle to keep this form going, but have been let down enough too many times to be sold him this time around.

Might have to revisit this one in another month's time.

Harding was a good player for us when he did ZERO hard running around the ground and ZERO 1%er because he kicked goals. If he can snag a few goals, present AND do the 1%ers and hard running then he will be even more valuabe than he ever was when he first played because he never did any of that stuff.

He seems to be fully over his OP, he looked really quick. Tigers have some zippy players but they just couldn't find anyone that could go with him. The extra weight he has put on has really allowed him to be more physical and he hasn't really dropped his pace.

Having him be able to play there means Harvey can play in the middle and his 30 possession game in the middle is worth more than the handful of possessions and a few dives that we would get out of him in the pocket.

His kicking last year was around 70% accuracy (yes that does exclude the ones that go out of bounds) but he worked on his kicking and it has improved to a reasonable level now, he kicked some nice goals today. If only Petrie worked on his kicking and marking we would start to look really dangerous.

Seen it before from Harding though. He needs to be consistent.

Great game today and showed how vital it is for us to have some key small forwards. Leigh, Motlop and Grant proved too much for the Tigers to handle up there and worked really well with Thompson.

We have seemed to have lacked small forwards crumbing to the taller forwards this season.

Tas said:
If only Petrie worked on his kicking and marking we would start to look really dangerous.

Just a matter of interest Tas, if, oops, a big IF, Petrie improved overnight and he started getting his game adjusted to a AFL level that demands being the Dangerous player that you imply, can North possibily PINCH the flag this season ? I have no doubt we can and it's all about playing as a team without compromises. Thoughts ?

Come on Briedis, surely he has played three solid games in row now.... isn't that consistent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hard_ball_get said:
I think Harding's form improvement yesterday can be easily explained - he watched SHarvey kick seven goals for Port and saw his spot in the side seriously under threat.

Fair call hard ball get. I thought the same thing. Maybe Laidley's right about S Harvey & L Harding being better prospects than A Davey? Apparently in 6-7 years time, the proof will be in the pudding.
I've liked Hardings last 2 games. He is a much better set shot for goal than on the run - that's for sure. I've been a huge critic of Hardings, BUT I hope he proves me wrong - he must finish the season of well & play some good finals footy.

His attitude was top shelf. I sensed a slightly changed footballer when he tackled Mal Michael a few weeks ago.

Very good yesterday. We have all been a little burnt by Leigh before hence the delay in any real confidence about him being 'back', but it is all positive ATM.

Devil Fish said:
Fair call hard ball get. I thought the same thing. Maybe Laidley's right about S Harvey & L Harding being better prospects than A Davey? Apparently in 6-7 years time, the proof will be in the pudding.
I've liked Hardings last 2 games. He is a much better set shot for goal than on the run - that's for sure. I've been a huge critic of Hardings, BUT I hope he proves me wrong - he must finish the season of well & play some good finals footy.

Why not play them both next week? Harding has obviously been told to run up the ground a bit more in the last couple of weeks. Forget about the goals he has kicked, what is more impressive is that he is getting 16 & 15 touches, some inside 50s and applying some chasing and defensive pressure. B Harvey is better value to the team running and cutting through traffic in the middle. There are some arguments re playing Grant up the field a bit more as well as he ,like B Harvey, uses the ball well. Do you think Thommo would like Boomer, Shagga, Wells and Harris kicking him the ball?

S Harvey for the pocket. We need someone to mop up the crumbs when Thommo runs underneath the footy. S Harvey could be the next Milne, give him a sniff of a goal and he might actually put in some effort. OK, a big call to have Harding and S Harvey in the same team but I see Harding as a guy with pace who can do some damage as he is also a decent mark and seemingly a better set shot. S Harvey is much more of a rover.

Grant and B Harvey will get goals and touches no matter where you play them, so play them up the ground where they can use the ball more. If Laidley can make Harding continue to work at half forward/wing what could we possibly lose by giving S Harvey a few games in the pocket? Picoane is not exactly providing any run or grunt or goals or big body presence or anything and would better off without him against Freo.

Harding was great yesterday and I was one of those who thought Harding is finished and would've been delisted at the end of the year. Has played 3 good games, but I'm not fully convinced. He is still in our best 22 at the moment. Needs one more good game, because he looks like he is a confidence player.

Woodson said:
Just a matter of interest Tas, if, oops, a big IF, Petrie improved overnight and he started getting his game adjusted to a AFL level that demands being the Dangerous player that you imply, can North possibily PINCH the flag this season ? I have no doubt we can and it's all about playing as a team without compromises. Thoughts ?

IF Petrie became a real dangerous forward option... IF Motlop is able to get into form late in the year (still a big ask)... IF Harding can continue to work hard like he has.... IF we can get a competitive third tall.... then we would be a very dangerous side.

I think if LeCras can be competitive third tallish that can take some contested marks and convert from limited opportunities then that would help, or if McIntosh can come in and play a bit of ruck and bit across the half forward line to create some tall options then we will move the ball much faster up the ground with tall marking options along the half forward line.

A conditional prediction... If he keeps playing like this, then he definitely has a place in the side and will add value. Like a few players it has been frustrating that he hasn't been playing to his undoubted potential up till now. Great work Leigh!

His pace up the ground is good, he is and always has been a valuable goal-kicker (despite being fraught with danger), and he has added a 1%er dimension that is very, very pleasing. In fact, he is showing a bit of leadership in this area. :eek: (The stuff that Corey Jones was showing earlier in the season.)

If he plays a couple more games like that he will do more than just hold his place in the side .. he will be considered a threat that must be countered by opposition clubs if they want to beat us

Harding when on song is very dangerous but as dean says he needs to keep going with the small stuff so that he has a place in the side when (as a small forward) he doesn't get opportunities in a given game so that when he does get opportunities he is there to take advantage of them

Think about the context Sharvey has a blinder in the magoos, last chances running out - he had too kick some goals sometime - he has timed it to perfection

I think Harding has finally realized that there is more to football than just burning off your opponent and kicking a goal.

He has enormous talent.

It’s ridiculous how good his field kicking is when you compare it to his yips in front of goal.

From what I saw on Sunday, Leigh is also a very smart footballer. He made some good decisions under pressure and was able to carry them off. Good work by Leigh, hope he can keep it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back