List Mgmt. #4 Dustin Martin Contract Talk - 7 MORE YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure which of those is the bad one since the main board is practically the bay when it comes to all things Richmond
Haha I came back to this board because the other joint was really shitting me and now this is going to go pear shaped on way or the other.
Might have to retire!

I went to a function a long time ago, early in the beginning of Telstra Dome which was what? 2000ish??
Anyway he was at the table we were on and he was just really really switched on, polite, smart and respectful. Spoke really really well.
Doesn't even seem like the same person.
A few years in the industry clearly affected him. He's not alone in this respect, but he thinks he's a rock star.

Sterge and I have agreed to merge them once the decision is made and will either move them to the main board or the Bay depending on the result.

Will there be an autopsy thread on the Dusty threads?

It will never be over.

Balmey summed it all up pretty well on SEN this morning.

PAY SOMEONE TOO MUCH AND YOU'LL FAIL: BALME
BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Richmond football manager Neil Balme says overpaying players sets a club up to fail.

It’s been reported North Melbourne has pushed every chip in to lure Dustin Martin with a seven-year deal at $1.5 million a season. The deal is said to be significantly more than Richmond is willing to pay the Brownlow Medal favourite.

“We want to pay everyone as much as we possibly can but you can’t pay anyone too much and you can’t pay anyone too little,” Balme told SEN’s Hungry for Sport.

“You’ve got to keep working to make sure everyone gets a fair crack at it because that’s what building a team is about. That’s what builds trust from the players to the club and the club to the players. That’s when teams do their best.

“But if you get it wrong and pay someone too much, or pay people too little, then you’ll fail.”

Despite suggestions Martin was on the verge of re-signing at Tigerland some weeks ago, no signature has been forthcoming. Given rival clubs have not pulled out of the race suggests they believe the star playmaker is still very much on the market.

Balme would not be drawn on whether the Tigers most recent offer was final, but intimated no individual was bigger than the club.

“You take things into account, just as you take the rest of the club into account,” he said.

“Every decision will be made for all of our club and all of our players.

“We preach fairness and commitment, everyone in supporting each other and we demand great performance from each other and accept weaknesses…all of that happens but it can only happen if it happens everywhere, from the pay scale to the game to whatever it is.”

The long time footy boss also questioned the logic and wisdom of free agency.

“If Dustin chooses to go somewhere else because the AFL has introduced free agency then so be it,” he said.

“We said at the outset that free agency was going to be very inflationary and its going to give the guy who is getting a bucket load of dough a bucket load more.

“I don’t understand the logic of that because where are the players going to go if they are not getting more money. Their not going to go and play rugby...it makes no sense to me.

“The lesser players are getting less which doesn’t make any sense to me either because that first notion of team first and buying in and every player is as important as the next one when the ball is at their feet is diminished when these inflationary things happen.”

Because most of your fellow inmates have used that opening to start a trollfest

If genuine, fa compo is a joke, but rfc aint an afl love child so we know we are ****** if he walks

If not, **** off campaigner
I've been very salty about the compo process since it was invoked, the Frawley thing capped it off. Not sure if any other sport in the world has it, it should be scrapped and it's just another chance for the league to be corrupted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure other Oppo supporters could be ****** reading through 900+ pages of Tiges and Kangas jibberish.

They might if they don't value their time or are Bulldogs supporters.

To be truthful, if Dusty gets $1.2m or $1.3m, I am pretty uncomfortable with him getting $500,000-$600,000 more than Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin etc.

The cap is 12.5 mill isn't it ? We will be getting rid of some players at end of year which will free up cash so I'm sure the others will be looked after still

BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Richmond football manager Neil Balme says overpaying players sets a club up to fail.

It’s been reported North Melbourne has pushed every chip in to lure Dustin Martin with a seven-year deal at $1.5 million a season. The deal is said to be significantly more than Richmond is willing to pay the Brownlow Medal favourite.

“We want to pay everyone as much as we possibly can but you can’t pay anyone too much and you can’t pay anyone too little,” Balme told SEN’s Hungry for Sport.

“You’ve got to keep working to make sure everyone gets a fair crack at it because that’s what building a team is about. That’s what builds trust from the players to the club and the club to the players. That’s when teams do their best.

“But if you get it wrong and pay someone too much, or pay people too little, then you’ll fail.”

Despite suggestions Martin was on the verge of re-signing at Tigerland some weeks ago, no signature has been forthcoming. Given rival clubs have not pulled out of the race suggests they believe the star playmaker is still very much on the market.

Balme would not be drawn on whether the Tigers most recent offer was final, but intimated no individual was bigger than the club.

“You take things into account, just as you take the rest of the club into account,” he said.

“We preach fairness and commitment, everyone in supporting each other and we demand great performance from each other and accept weaknesses…all of that happens but it can only happen if it happens everywhere, from the pay scale to the game to whatever it is.”

“If Dustin chooses to go somewhere else because the AFL has introduced free agency then so be it,” he said.

“We said at the outset that free agency was going to be very inflationary and its going to give the guy who is getting a bucket load of dough a bucket load more.

“I don’t understand the logic of that because where are the players going to go if they are not getting more money. Their not going to go and play rugby...it makes no sense to me.

“The lesser players are getting less which doesn’t make any sense to me either because that first notion of team first and buying in and every player is as important as the next one when the ball is at their feet is diminished when these inflationary things happen.”
Makes sense. While it gives the players more freedom of movement and makes things more interesting, it benefits the better players, who are already on great salaries, much more than your lower tier players.

BY SEN 2 HOURS AGO

Bit of a gun is old Balmey. Whether it is or not he is selling either outcome as a win win for RFC. Dusty stays and shows commitment and that he has bought into the team first theory; galvanizing the squad. Or he leaves, thus leaving behind a group of players who have bought in the team first theory and all that has happened is we have weeded out a player who is not on board;thus galvanizing the squad.
Good guy to have at the helm.

The cap is 12.5 mill isn't it ? We will be getting rid of some players at end of year which will free up cash so I'm sure the others will be looked after still

I'm with Goldy. He's a gun. One of the best in the comp, having a ripper season. But he's one player. I'd rather go down the Sydney and Adelaide route, pay a stack of midfielders good cash (not extreme cash), and stick together as a team. Hawks did the same, Gary left Geelong while they all stuck around etc etc. Look after the entire team, not 1 bloke. $1m, plus endorsements, memorabilia etc (he won't get anywhere near that from NM, their 11 supporters will only buy up so much shit) should be easily enough to set up your life. And you're not in a basket-case club playing in front of 4 families in Antarctic conditions at the foot of Mt Wellington.

Sterge and I have agreed to merge them once the decision is made and will either move them to the main board or the Bay depending on the result.
I'd say it's a Hot Topic!

It's almost as much fun as the * drug cheating saga.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bit of a gun is old Balmey. Whether it is or not he is selling either outcome as a win win for RFC. Dusty stays and shows commitment and that he has bought into the team first theory; galvanizing the squad. Or he leaves, thus leaving behind a group of players who have bought in the team first theory and all that has happened is we have weeded out a player who is not on board;thus galvanizing the squad.
Good guy to have at the helm.
Hypothetical, however imagine if you will Martin + one of the late first rounders goes for Brown and Norf's first. Richmond use Norf's first round for Kelly to GWS.

Martin + late first rounder for Brown & Kelly - would people take that deal?

Sounds a bit that way.

Or he could be sending a message to Martin.

It's reassuring knowing that we have Balmey handling all this stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. #4 Dustin Martin Contract Talk - 7 MORE YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back