List Mgmt. #4 Dustin Martin Contract Talk - 7 MORE YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I just disagree with you about Prestia being overpaid. I am allowed to have an opinion.

Push comes to shove even if we were as shit as north Melbourne I still wouldn't be happy paying one player 1.5m a year.

Not even Dustin Martin is worth that. If he thinks he is, more power to him, I hope he enjoys hanging around the bottom of the ladder, again, for a few more years.

So it is says you because it is just your opinion

The whole point of FA was to provide more freedom and cash for the AFLs middle tier but they farked it up but not balancing that with extra powers for the clubs and protection on contracts.

Scrap compo
Give teams 2 year team option on draftees after first 2 years
Reduce RFA to 4 years and UFA to 6
Allow teams to pay 10% outside cap after 6 years and increase by 5% every 2 years to a maximum of 25% but only for 3-4 players on the list.

That will give the clubs more power and protect them from losing stars, although like NBA a team should be able to trade for a player and get his cap exemption rights, and it will provide more movement and cash for the rest of the AFL players

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

- Automatic 2 year deals (on sliding scale according to draft position) for all national draft picks. One year deals for rookie draft picks.
- Team option after that for a 2 year extension. For rookies, team option for either 2nd rookie year or promotion and 3 year extension (2 years if 2 rookie years served).
- After 4 years, players become RFA, unless they have already signed an extension.
- Contracts for RFA can be any length but can't exceed the maximum (about 10% of the salary cap) in any year.
- Mother teams of RFAs can match rival offers to keep the player or force a trade.
- RFAs can opt out by accepting a single year deal to stay, after which they become UFA.
- Mother teams can go over the salary cap to retain their own players.
- Once UFA, the mother team can no longer match but still retains the ability to go over the cap with their offer

So, Dusty plays in front of 87k against...wait for it...Melbourne earlier in the year. he will play in front of 75k against...lol - wait for it - lol...St Kilda this weekend.
The same fixtures against Norf would get 25k, that's if the game isn't in Hobart where it will be half that.

lolnorf bench at Blundstone.

iceland.jpg

- Automatic 2 year deals (on sliding scale according to draft position) for all national draft picks. One year deals for rookie draft picks.
- Team option after that for a 2 year extension. For rookies, team option for either 2nd rookie year or promotion and 3 year extension (2 years if 2 rookie years served).
- After 4 years, players become RFA, unless they have already signed an extension.
- Contracts for RFA can be any length but can't exceed the maximum (about 10% of the salary cap) in any year.
- Mother teams of RFAs can match rival offers to keep the player or force a trade.
- RFAs can opt out by accepting a single year deal to stay, after which they become UFA.
- Once UFA, the mother team can no longer match but still retains the ability to go over the cap with their offer

so....

pretty much the nba

so....

pretty much the nba

Pretty much. You'd have to change things regarding draft picks as in the NBA only 1st rounders are guaranteed and there are only 2 rounds. I think we'd want to extend the same rights to all draftees. You've also got the rookie draft to take into account and the size of AFL lists compared to NBA rosters, the different usage of the 2nd tier/development comps, etc.

Their system has been fine tuned over several decades and it works, so yeah, I'd have been basing the AFL system on that.

Players can be traded in contract and stiff shit where they go. They can't all have it one way

Chief

if hes leaving hes not going because he thinks they will have bigger games, hes not leaving because he thinks they will play more finals, hes not leaving because he thinks they have a better list, hes not leaving because he thinks they will win a flag.

Hes leaving because they have a bigger cheque book from forced retiring a bunch of their players last year/this year.
It's a pisstake, chief.

Pretty much. You'd have to change things regarding draft picks as in the NBA only 1st rounders are guaranteed and there are only 2 rounds. I think we'd want to extend the same rights to all draftees. You've also got the rookie draft to take into account and the size of AFL lists compared to NBA rosters, the different usage of the 2nd tier/development comps, etc.

Their system has been fine tuned over several decades and it works, so yeah, I'd have been basing the AFL system on that.

im all for the nba system, its fantastic imo

there should be max contracts too like in the nba system

Players can be traded in contract and stiff shit where they go. They can't all have it one way

I don't really have a problem with the players retaining the right to decline a trade. They're not making US pro sports money and the AFL club environment is probably less suited to that more business-like approach.

Yep if anything happens to him before his contract is up and he has to retire, north still have to pay him for the remainder of his contract.
What have you got planned?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Newman suggested Rance take a paycut so they give Dusty more coin
Don't think Rance liked that.
Nor should he. Those blokes already took a haircut which is why we simply cannot get stupid about paying Martin too much.

I don't really have a problem with the players retaining the right to decline a trade. They're not making US pro sports money and the AFL club environment is probably less suited to that more business-like approach.

That might be true at the bottom end of the range but the average wage is pretty decent and you would live comfortably on it anywhere there's an AFL team

first line is if he leaves.

I just dont see the point in everyone bringing up how we play in front of big crowds, how we are on the cusp of some real success.

SInce in the event he does leave it wont be for any of those things, it will be for the benjamins.
No it's not . It's because of Marty Williamson and also playing at a club with a low profile. It's also come to light that he doesn't like many players at Richmond.

So, Dusty plays in front of 87k against...wait for it...Melbourne earlier in the year. he will play in front of 75k against...lol - wait for it - lol...St Kilda this weekend.
The same fixtures against Norf would get 25k, that's if the game isn't in Hobart where it will be half that.
Good chance he could play in front of 90,000 with North....................................................................over the whole season

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. #4 Dustin Martin Contract Talk - 7 MORE YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back