AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Before people jump down his throat tonight, he for a corkie early in the first quarter when he was running back with the flight and there was a dodgy free & 50m paid. After that he basically spent the first half in Dr Reid's care before being subbed at 1/2 time.

If he's fit, keep playing him. Get him AFL experience as much as possible. He seems to have some football smarts which we miss a lot in many of our younger players.

I can already imagine the story of his first 2 games, in his Youtube footage. How he came in as a keen, skinny 19 year old, who got hit, but got back up.
Then he turned into the man we know him as today (2022)

Yaco wasn't suggesting delisting him. It's about what is best for his best development long term. I tend to agree with yaco that he's better off in the VFL until he builds up more. He's now played one week, missed a week as emergency and then due to unfortunate incidents was virtually a non player this week. Given all this he will need to go back to VFL short term in any case to gain some match fitness and touch. After this short term approach will then need to work out what to do long term. Injuries may force our hand anyway.

Yaco wasn't suggesting delisting him. It's about what is best for his best development long term. I tend to agree with yaco that he's better off in the VFL until he builds up more. He's now played one week, missed a week as emergency and then due to unfortunate incidents was virtually a non player this week. Given all this he will need to go back to VFL short term in any case to gain some match fitness and touch. After this short term approach will then need to work out what to do long term. Injuries may force our hand anyway.
theres no way he stays in unfortunately, needs game time.

Langford is not ready - let him develop in the VFL.
at what age was Joe Daniher Drafted to the club? is he ready to play AFL? not really IMO, he needs to build his Body up to be strong or he's an easy push over, i agree with what leigh Matthews says about him. every young aged player gets there Jitters when there playing AFL. i tend to say keep playing Langford in the AFL seniors. , he'll come good, just look at Zach Merret, still 19 an a bloody good player. its a bit like Golf, you can play ya Great shots out on the Practice fairway but its hard to convert those onto the Course unless you keep playing an playing on the course till you get it right.

at what age was Joe Daniher Drafted to the club? is he ready to play AFL? not really IMO, he needs to build his Body up to be strong or he's an easy push over, i agree with what leigh Matthews says about him. every young aged player gets there Jitters when there playing AFL. i tend to say keep playing Langford in the AFL seniors. , he'll come good, just look at Zach Merret, still 19 an a bloody good player. its a bit like Golf, you can play ya Great shots out on the Practice fairway but its hard to convert those onto the Course unless you keep playing an playing on the course till you get it right.

Merrett belonged from day one - My view has always been that's its a bonus if players debut in year one.

Merrett belonged from day one - My view has always been that's its a bonus if players debut in year one.
have you actually played any sports yaself? , cause even matty Lloyd says he's a Great Kick whenever he's been around him. you try playing Footy infront of 50,000+ people an perform week by week. but we can sit here an argue over an over again but we arent the ones thats gonna make the call on this guy, its the club an we arent the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniher had a year developing with club prior to being drafted as opposed to Langford. Daniher didn't play much year one until 2nd half of season. Merrett being a midfielder can cope with one on ones vs midfielders strength wise better than Langford. Merrett also has a strong core for a little core which is evident when he stands up in the tackle.

Langford is a skinny first year player who will get rag dolled if he plays week in week out. This could kill his confidence. I think he will be better served playing VFL. Generally most clubs have younger developing defenders in VFL. Some of the standalone VFL clubs will have stronger older players but majority won't. AFL defenders are powerhouse gorillas.

Daniher had a year developing with club prior to being drafted as opposed to Langford. Daniher didn't play much year one until 2nd half of season. Merrett being a midfielder can cope with one on ones vs midfielders strength wise better than Langford. Merrett also has a strong core for a little core which is evident when he stands up in the tackle.

Langford is a skinny first year player who will get rag dolled if he plays week in week out. This could kill his confidence. I think he will be better served playing VFL. Generally most clubs have younger developing defenders in VFL. Some of the standalone VFL clubs will have stronger older players but majority won't. AFL defenders are powerhouse gorillas.
look at Nakai Cockatoo who plays for Geelong, he only played 1 game in the VFL last year but still got picked up by Geelong. Daniher needs more Game time plus he needs to build his body up. Strength wise Daniher is no good either but they give him plenty of game time. his Kicking skills arent Great yet either.could Daniher Tackle the likes of Buddy Franklin? Hell No, he isnt strong enough, he needs to be on par with Kurt Tippett

look at Nakai Cockatoo who plays for Geelong, he only played 1 game in the VFL last year but still got picked up by Geelong. Daniher needs more Game time plus he needs to build his body up. Strength wise Daniher is no good either but they give him plenty of game time. his Kicking skills arent Great yet either.could Daniher Tackle the likes of Buddy Franklin? Hell No, he isnt strong enough, he needs to be on par with Kurt Tippett

Daniher is currently strong enough for afl but will get a lot better. How good was his pack mark this week?

Langford is currently not strong enough to play afl but could play the occasional match for experience. This is what will happen. He will play 6 or so matches for the year.

I am now convinced that you watch little footy - Cockatoo has been out of his depth in the AFL.

Daniher is currently strong enough for afl but will get a lot better. How good was his pack mark this week?

Langford is currently not strong enough to play afl but could play the occasional match for experience. This is what will happen. He will play 6 or so matches for the year.
he isnt strong enough for AFL IMO . maybe for VFL yeah but AFL no, but they play him in afl in hope he'll improve. + he's a Daniher, it'd be the same for Jake Long if he was on the senior list. the only reason Daniher played More Games last year was cause of Bomber an ya wonder why Hirdy didnt play him much when he was drafted.

There's nothing wrong with letting Langford marinate in the VFL. He's simply not physically ready despite already showing enough game to suggest he has a big future.

If you look at someone like Ellis-Yolmen as an example, crows took him in 2011 and despite having his share of injuries they just let him stew because he didn't have the body or the tank to be effective at AFL level yet (i'm pretty sure he was still playing SANFL reserves at some stage pretty recently), now he's built on that and come in and been super prolific.

Not saying Langford is a 4 year proposition, but there's no rush, at all, I'm more than happy to just get a glimpse of both he and Laverde in 2015.

Last edited:
he isnt strong enough for AFL IMO . maybe for VFL yeah but AFL no, but they play him in afl in hope he'll improve. + he's a Daniher, it'd be the same for Jake Long if he was on the senior list. the only reason Daniher played More Games last year was cause of Bomber an ya wonder why Hirdy didnt play him much when he was drafted.

This is seriously laughable.

Hird didn't play Daniher much because he was a first year player lacking the body and strength in his first year. Played his first match in r11 playing 5 matches for the season.

Thompson played Daniher more often as he was bigger in year 2 and gumbleton and Crameri had then left creating more opportunities. So he became a regular and was our best performed forward in the final.

In his 3rd season back under Hird he continues to be a regular getting stronger all the time.

Whether it was Hird or Thompson made no difference as it was a natural progression. And he isn't getting games because of his name its all on ability.

Langford will play a similar amount of games in year one compared to Daniher - 5 or 6 which will debunk your theory because of a famous surname.

Long is way off being afl ready. He won't play in 2015 unless there's an avalanche of injuries. His body is probably 2-3 years away hence why he was only taken as a rookie. However he does show positive signs for the long term.

1 month younger and Langford would be playing under 18s this season and that is exactly what it looks like in his 2 games to date, it would be pretty scary out there for him as he is not big physically or a naturally aggressive type of player.
I don't want Langford back in the team until next season.

Thats not what he meant.
My point is that fridays game should be ignored for judging if he is ready or not for AFL. In his first game he was probably our best leading forward and I think he deserves another crack. Having said that I think that if Chappy is right to go he'll lose his spot regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Back