AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not. In fact, we're more likely to give 1 year extensions than most because we regularly have amongst the most OOC every year in the AFL. 2 years isn't a big deal and probably appropriate.
Devon smith says hi. Ham says hi. Zaka says hi. Keeping hurley instead of paying him out. Heppel. Phillips, next year. We have compensated with list decisions due to drugs scandal for years.

We keep/,offer players 1 year to many across the board. When have we burnt by letting someone go early. We are ultra conservative and will continue to over rate out players and list. Hence our top up free agents.

Like to know your thoughts on we have been shit for 21 years now

Devon smith says hi. Ham says hi. Zaka says hi. Keeping hurley instead of paying him out. Heppel. Phillips, next year. We have compensated with list decisions due to drugs scandal for years.

We keep/,offer players 1 year to many across the board. When have we burnt by letting someone go early. We are ultra conservative and will continue to over rate out players and list. Hence our top up free agents.

Like to know your thoughts on we have been s**t for 21 years now
Kind of points to a shit list if lots of out of contract players and no one poaching them .

Smith was a mistake.
Zaka got a 3 or 4 year deal when he was a free agent and averaging 25 touches and 5 marks a game on a wing and then retired.
Ham has gotten a couple of one year deals instead of taking pick 70 in a couple of relatively unseen drafts and will highly likely get cut at the end of the year
Paying Hurley out when? For what reason?
Heppell got a long deal in the prime of his career and is getting basically an AFL average wage next year amongst a very inexperienced squad (19 players currently 21 or under)
Phillips is a solid reserve ruck and again, we have a lot of young and inexperienced players in the squad and most likely will be playing reserves most of the year and helping our young KPP's down there as a sort of on field coach.

Also we haven't really "topped up" the last two years. We've brought in moneyball cheap players like Hind, Wright, Kelly or young guys like Caldwell.

But let's not facts get in the way of a good whinge

Smith was a mistake.
Zaka got a 3 or 4 year deal when he was a free agent and averaging 25 touches and 5 marks a game on a wing and then retired.
Ham has gotten a couple of one year deals instead of taking pick 70 in a couple of relatively unseen drafts and will highly likely get cut at the end of the year
Paying Hurley out when? For what reason?
Heppell got a long deal in the prime of his career and is getting basically an AFL average wage next year amongst a very inexperienced squad (19 players currently 21 or under)
Phillips is a solid reserve ruck and again, we have a lot of young and inexperienced players in the squad and most likely will be playing reserves most of the year and helping our young KPP's down there as a sort of on field coach.

Also we haven't really "topped up" the last two years. We've brought in moneyball cheap players like Hind, Wright, Kelly or young guys like Caldwell.

But let's not facts get in the way of a good whinge
Hurley this year. He was never going to play and impact the seniors. Free up a spot and have him as a coach.

Phillips will be 32. Has played how many AFL games over how many years?

Stewart, Francis, waterman, Heppel. At least 5-6 spots that are conservative. How much diversity / home run swings do we have on our list. No indigenous players, no freak African athletes, or hard nut battlers. I'd rather have a swing then give a 3 game a year player another year.

We over compensate with boring fringe players, we dont have 1 player who is the best at their position or in that conversation.

Hurley this year. He was never going to play and impact the seniors. Free up a spot and have him as a coach.

Phillips will be 32. Has played how many AFL games over how many years?

Stewart, Francis, waterman, Heppel. At least 5-6 spots that are conservative. How much diversity / home run swings do we have on our list. No indigenous players, no freak African athletes, or hard nut battlers. I'd rather have a swing then give a 3 game a year player another year.

We over compensate with boring fringe players, we dont have 1 player who is the best at their position or in that conversation.
And use pick 70 in a relatively unseen draft crop? Or grab Fejo jnr who can't get a game in our VFL side?

As I said, Phillips is a reserve ruck who will likely play reserves most of next year and has also had a visible impact on Draper's form this year.

Stewart has been best 22 when fit by and large, a good forward and okay defender. Francis got a 3 year deal off a good year for a highly rated 4th year player and has disappointed since and will probably be delisted this year. Waterman had a strong pre-season and got a second year after averaging a tad over 1 goal/game in a reasonably promising first year and will likely be delisted at the end of the year. Heppell we've been over.

No indigenous players? I guess you should tell that to Lord, Eyre, Brand and Wanganeen (as well as potentially 2 Davey's and Anthony Munkara at the end of the year) and as far as "freak athletes" we had Ross McQuillan (who retired because he was homesick) as a genuine speedster from Ireland, Cian McBride and Josh Eyre do sub 3 second 20 metre sprints as 197+ cm KPP's. We've bid on guys like Brandon Walker from Freo, Keidean Coleman from Brisbane (both are absolute gas and good young players). Hard nut battlers? What do you call Snelling, Guelfi, Durham, McDonagh (he was a bad choice but that's what he is)?

As I said, don;t let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

Smith's deal was too long IMO. Ham won't be around after this year. Zaka was our typical whipping boy, we always newd at least one. Hepps I am happy to have as depth and a leadership role around the club for next year, provided he realises most games may be VFL. Phillips deserved a 1 year contract for next year, but Bryant should be going past him as the 2nd ruck.

The Saga curse is nearly over isn't it? Or at the very least, having minimal impact on our list.

And use pick 70 in a relatively unseen draft crop? Or grab Fejo jnr who can't get a game in our VFL side?

As I said, Phillips is a reserve ruck who will likely play reserves most of next year and has also had a visible impact on Draper's form this year.

Stewart has been best 22 when fit by and large, a good forward and okay defender. Francis got a 3 year deal off a good year for a highly rated 4th year player and has disappointed since and will probably be delisted this year. Waterman had a strong pre-season and got a second year after averaging a tad over 1 goal/game in a reasonably promising first year and will likely be delisted at the end of the year. Heppell we've been over.

No indigenous players? I guess you should tell that to Lord, Eyre, Brand and Wanganeen (as well as potentially 2 Davey's and Anthony Munkara at the end of the year) and as far as "freak athletes" we had Ross McQuillan (who retired because he was homesick) as a genuine speedster from Ireland, Cian McBride and Josh Eyre do sub 3 second 20 metre sprints as 197+ cm KPP's. We've bid on guys like Brandon Walker from Freo, Keidean Coleman from Brisbane (both are absolute gas and good young players). Hard nut battlers? What do you call Snelling, Guelfi, Durham, McDonagh (he was a bad choice but that's what he is)?

mate, people will whinge that the sky is blue. Can't make everyone happy

i’m happy!

Are we rating our vfl list that isn't going to play finals and most of these players should be on list in a year or two.

Or our vfl team filled with all these great prospects just been unlucky like our AFL team.

Mozzie/tippa/McKenna actual AFL players for diverse backgrounds all finished up prematurely.

The actual 22 that runs out each week is extremely boring and similar. I admire you optimism, I prefer results and actual best 22 when assessing the list and how we are travelling. Lots of excuses of why we gave generous contracts but I like to here why both our AFL and vfl teams are below average.

Are we rating our vfl list that isn't going to play finals and most of these players should be on list in a year or two.

Or our vfl team filled with all these great prospects just been unlucky like our AFL team.

Mozzie/tippa/McKenna actual AFL players for diverse backgrounds all finished up prematurely.

The actual 22 that runs out each week is extremely boring and similar. I admire you optimism, I prefer results and actual best 22 when assessing the list and how we are travelling. Lots of excuses of why we gave generous contracts but I like to here why both our AFL and vfl teams are below average.
Chill out for a bit turbo

What is the average age of our list? Compare that to other sides.

Tex looked sharp in the practice match.

I haven't heard much about his pre-season. The challenge for him will be surviving the work to build a professional fitness base to then play enough to develop.

The player that played against GC seems to me to be surprisingly close to the mark.

He is Gavin's son, so of course I want to see him succeed. But I don't think it's as much a matter of the heart overriding the head. The boy can play and he does it with an underlying grit that is a bit of an unusual combination with the flair he has (in a good way).

Last edited:
Tex looked sharp in the practice match.

I haven't heard much about his pre-season. The challenge for him will be surviving the work to build a professional fitness base to then play enough to develop.

The player that played against GC seems to me to be surprisingly close to the mark.

He is Gavin's son, so of course I want to see him succeed. But I don't think it's as much a matter of the heart overriding the head. The boy can play and he does it with an underlying grit that is a bit of an unusual combination with the flair he has (in a good way).
looked bigger too. I didn't recognise him when he first came on, but seems strong enough now to enter AFL discussions.

Definitely see signs of grit....shame he missed that monty to cap off a really good display

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Heard Tex had quite a good VFL game with
Lot's of pressure acts and 6-8 tackles.

Would love to see him make it with the Davey boys and Munkara.

Going early here but I think Wanganeen will end up the best of them.

I think BrunoV said something similar in a thread about A.Davey and I think it will apply to J.Davey and Wanganeen as well, you expect the flair but you admire the grit.

Munkara, well he just kicked the first 7 pointer in the history of the sport, wouldn't be surprised if he just starts levitating during a game.

VFL player review

Tex Wanganeen​

15 disposals, seven marks, six tackles
"Wanganeen had a really strong work rate and got rewarded for his defensive work with six tackles, leading patterns and forward play. He set up many goals."

Going early here but I think Wanganeen will end up the best of them.

I think BrunoV said something similar in a thread about A.Davey and I think it will apply to J.Davey and Wanganeen as well, you expect the flair but you admire the grit.

Munkara, well he just kicked the first 7 pointer in the history of the sport, wouldn't be surprised if he just starts levitating during a game.
Tex very well could. I think that was the addition trait Gav had: that grit.

Gavin obviously was just an amazingly gifted and skilled player, but that grit really just put him on the elite level.

I agree with seeing that in Tex this early on and sure as hell hope he makes it.

He was very hard at it as far as his pressure and tackling efforts. Worked up to the wings and back. Good first up game.

He was very hard at it as far as his pressure and tackling efforts. Worked up to the wings and back. Good first up game.

I reckon it's a better sign at this stage that he can play a high half forward role, which it seemed to me that he did, and fit so well into the play, than it is for him to be an effective crumbing player.

I'm so surprised by him. The work rate, the aggression and his game sense. He was basically a cat b rookie, he wasn't a footy player.

I am not sure he is less talented than Alwyn Jr. He's just starting from a very different point and a long way behind.

Hurt his ankle in the VFL but played out the game

Tex Wanganeen​

Seven disposals, three tackles, two marks

Tex hurt his ankle early so it was a good effort to get through the game. It held him up a little bit, but he did well to play out the whole game. A couple of times he looked really exciting for us.

Tex Wanganeen

Six disposals, two marks, three tackles

Tex didn't get a lot of the ball but worked hard, not getting used on occasions. He has been play forward and has been actively looking to work out more ways he can impact more contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #40: Tex Wanganeen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back