$400, 000 or the 4 points - What would you rather have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

celtic_pride

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 12, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
B.Celtics, FC Barcelona, Leeds Utd
I think in the wash-up of last night's dissapointing loss, I think one thing we have forgotten is that the club 'actually' gave away our home ground advantage up to the Gold Coast, to a venue we have not played at for nearly 20 years, and considering Freo's horrible record at Ethiad Stadium (where this game would have been played normally) there is no doubt that moving the game up to Gold Coast most likely cost us the game.
Now bearing in mind the pathetic returns clubs have been getting financially wise from Ethiad Stadium, one can understand the board's decision to sell the home game, but i think it has cost us a valuable win ...

At the end of the day, would you prefer the club to pocket the 400 K we will have made from this home game played in the Gold Coast, or would you have prefered us for this game to be played in Melbourne and an almost certain win ?

In this instance I feel the club's financial considerations have cost us the 4 points, and it could prove to be fatal with regards to our finals chances at the end of the season ..

We know Freo absolutely suck in Melbourne so why wouldn't we want to play them there, the decision confuses me greatly.
I think that that was the first time Freo have ever won in Qld just so you know

If this thread was created before the match, it would hold some credibility. As it stands, of course people are going to vote 'the 4 points' because it means a different game, and thus a different result.

In our minds its easy to think that different result is a Carlton victory, however we'll never know. We were expected to win last night, so whats to say that different result would not have meant a 30+ point win to Freo? That question cannot be answered, and as such this thread really is a pointless exercise.

It is not as simple as 'would you prefer more money or the win'. What you are really asking is, were you happy to sell this game or not.

I cannot remember too many complaints from posters before the match, or at any stage since finding out. I myself did not complain, as such the only truthful answer I guess I can vote for is that I prefer the $400k, because this is really just representing that I was happy for us to play there, not that I wanted to lose.

Anyone who says differently should point to where they strongly rejected Carlton selling this game, otherwise you really are only being a hypocrite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You back your team to win wherever you play. If we're blaming the loss to Fremantle on the ground (a neutral venue) then we have bigger issues than the crap we dished up last night. If we need the home ground advantage to beat Fremantle than we are not a top 8 team. I'm putting it down as a bad night playing against a team that played better than us. Simple as that.

Well now we are royally screwed. Our decision to sell that game up to the Gold Coast means we will have traveled 3 times in 5 rounds. We play Adelaide at AAMI an Rd 9 and Brisbane at the GABBA in Rd 11.

Having had just 1 win in our past 5 games and with these games still to come, I'd just about say that's our season over.

They know were coming my arse......we are an absolute laughing stock.

We know Freo absolutely suck in Melbourne so why wouldn't we want to play them there, the decision confuses me greatly.

Maybe the administration didn't want to sacrifice the opportunity of 400K just for the sake of our sooky-la-la playing group that get home sick too easily.

Moving the game was the right move. It sounded great at the time. Fremantle were bottom 4 last year, they've never won in Queensland, all the support would be for Carlton, etc..

Hindisght thinking :rolleyes:

When the fixture list came out, we should have been able to beat Freo anywhere but because we lost, lets blame it on neutral territory.

The way we played last night we would've lost in Melbourne, Subi or Gold Coast.

What a copout and a half.

Hindisght thinking :rolleyes:

When the fixture list came out, we should have been able to beat Freo anywhere but because we lost, lets blame it on neutral territory.

The way we played last night we would've lost in Melbourne, Subi or Gold Coast.

What a copout and a half.

Exactly.

You only beat us by 9 pts at the Dome last year so there was no guarantee you would beat us there this year.

We played better last night, that is all

Seriously CP, can you shut up and stop whinging for once?

We lost. We lost badly. Get over it. What's done is done. Say something positive for a change.

FFS...

Do you know what's Freo's record at Etihad stadium, esp taking into account our recenty good form (in the past two or so years) at the stadium ?

The club's board and admin made a decision to chase the all-mighty dollar seems to have cost us an valuable win and frankly if you choose to put your head in the sand about how rapidly our season is falling apart, (with a very soft injury list I might add) then that's your choice ...

I at least I'm a realist.

Why wouldn't we play a Victorian team on the Gold Coast?

It'd make so much more sense to play Melbourne/North up there than to play Freo because atleast against a Victorian club it'd be neutral either way. Playing an interstate club means we forgo the home ground advantage.
You want to rethink that one b4f? :p

No difference between playing a Vic team or Freo in Queensland. Neutral both ways.

You want to rethink that one b4f? :p

No difference between playing a Vic team or Freo in Queensland. Neutral both ways.

Think of it this way. We have a home game against Melbourne and Fremantle regardless. We play Melbourne at the TD and Freo on the Gold Coast. Both games neutral.

Other scenario would be we play Freo at the Dome and Melbourne on the GC. Home ground advantage in one, neutral game the other.

Surely the second scenario would be better than the first?

I think in the wash-up of last night's dissapointing loss, I think one thing we have forgotten is that the club 'actually' gave away our home ground advantage up to the Gold Coast, to a venue we have not played at for nearly 20 years, and considering Freo's horrible record at Ethiad Stadium (where this game would have been played normally) there is no doubt that moving the game up to Gold Coast most likely cost us the game.
Now bearing in mind the pathetic returns clubs have been getting financially wise from Ethiad Stadium, one can understand the board's decision to sell the home game, but i think it has cost us a valuable win ...

At the end of the day, would you prefer the club to pocket the 400 K we will have made from this home game played in the Gold Coast, or would you have prefered us for this game to be played in Melbourne and an almost certain win ?

In this instance I feel the club's financial considerations have cost us the 4 points, and it could prove to be fatal with regards to our finals chances at the end of the season ..

We could've had both if all of our players stood up, instead of the usual suspects all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

$400, 000 or the 4 points - What would you rather have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back