Player Watch #42 Mykelti Lefau Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

"To make matters worse, what looked like being a rare injury-free night went downhill in the worst possible way with promising key forward Mykelti Lefau leaving the ground with a suspected ACL injury after landing awkwardly from a marking contest."

i hate this season.
Terrible season. In saying that it has been a pleasure to watch him in 2024. Hopefully comes back fitter and stronger next year.

Terrible news, he’s been fantastic, improved every week. I was looking forward to seeing him alongside Lynch
That’s 4 ACLs we’ll carry into next year! How does that work from a list management perspective.

Absolute rubbish. He's been playing Aussie rules for a decade and first played VFL 8 years ago.

ACLs are just plain bad luck 99% of the time.
He was a rugby player who played a bit of football at St.Kida on the peanut farm from memory. He kicked 25 gaols once because he could just run through players due to his size and athleticism. Played VFL but was not a marking forward, general player who also played midfield occasionally, certainly not a marking target. That takes practice, usually years of it.

To say he is a bit out of his league in the position he is playing is common sense.

If ACL's are such accidents, how can a club have 5 in one year, Brisbane 4, other clubs also, when they were relatively rare years ago.

He was a rugby player who played a bit of football at St.Kida on the peanut farm from memory. He kicked 25 gaols once because he could just run through players due to his size and athleticism. Played VFL but was not a marking forward, general player who also played midfield occasionally, certainly not a marking target. That takes practice, usually years of it.

To say he is a bit out of his league in the position he is playing is common sense.

If ACL's are such accidents, how can a club have 5 in one year, Brisbane 4, other clubs also, when they were relatively rare years ago.
3 players incl kelti had priors, the probability of doing an ACL again is quite high, thems are facts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok , unpopular opinion. tough unfortunate luck, but putting a new player in the position where he had to fly for everything and play the lone hand forward put unnecessary pressure on him, to just get to every contest and make a impact?
Nah, we are just farken cursed this year.
Back in my box
I have to say, you are not alone.

Whenever he flew I always had my heart in my mouth. That he was either going to hurt someone else or himself. That he was half going for the mark and half using his body as human battering ram. In a perfect world he would been concentrating on what he is brilliant at, marking on the lead and kicking goals and providing scary physical pressure, especially as a rookie AFL player.

Anyhow, maybe it's because of the way he is built and the fact that he is from a rugby background that I was deluding myself into thinking that, but it's still how I kind of felt as well.

They were never relatively rare. Back in the day careers would by ended by an ACL tear. In the past decade each club has averaged about 1 per season, give or take. More games, more players is obviously going to = more injuries. We've just been stiff. As have Lions.

Rotten luck... feel bad for the kid... he was fast becoming a fan favourite. Hindsights a wonderful thing but maybe we should've used that 3rd unused mid season draft pick for a forward as most of us were expecting....

I have to say, you are not alone.

Whenever he flew I always had my heart in my mouth. That he was either going to hurt someone else or himself. That he was half going for the mark and half using his body as human battering ram. In a perfect world he would been concentrating on what he is brilliant at, marking on the lead and kicking goals and providing scary physical pressure, especially as a rookie AFL player.

Anyhow, maybe it's because of the way he is built and the fact that he is from a rugby background that I was deluding myself into thinking that, but it's still how I kind of felt as well.
Thought same thing , way he played was to use his body as a battering ram , whether tackling or contesting every single pack that he had the remotest chance of taking a mark , sadly was prob a matter of time . I genuinely worry of the longevity of these big 100kg power forwards

They were never relatively rare. Back in the day careers would by ended by an ACL tear. In the past decade each club has averaged about 1 per season, give or take. More games, more players is obviously going to = more injuries. We've just been stiff. As have Lions.
Reckon we went a few years without one

Yeah this isn't unusual. Lenny Hayes did his ACL in the first quarter of a game and played out the rest of it. I believe it's tied to the level of damage to other parts of the knee. If it's literally just the ACL it doesn't necessarily impede standing or straight line movement.
yep. this lost any scope of credibility when you mentioned Lenny Hayes. he an absolute warrior. holds no standing when talking about thw average acl.. also curious...have you done one? if you haven't then you have no idea....

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #42 Mykelti Lefau Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back