Player Watch #42 Mykelti Lefau Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond will go into next season with 5 players down already. ACL's take a year to get over, so most won't be on the park round 1. Most will be ready early mid-season, but that is still significant.
should ask for a priority pick for abnormal injruies created by steven shocking

Terrible news, he’s been fantastic, improved every week. I was looking forward to seeing him alongside Lynch
That’s 4 ACLs we’ll carry into next year! How does that work from a list management perspective.
Young & Naismith; we'd have to delist

Last edited:

Dan McStay did his ACL late November and is just about ready to go
This can't be right, at least it's the biggest risk to reoccur between the 6-9 mth mark. I read he was hoping he'd be back for week 1 of the finals.

Which would put him at 10 mths. Still a risk though.

Lefau as a second or third tall in the forward line will be dangerous. He is also a player I can see getting better as the team up the field gets better. When he leads at the ball carrier he leads like an old forward and that can get the third defender in trouble.

I liken him to Daniel Bradshaw in that Lions team as the leading 3rd tall type alongside Lynch and Brown.

Lefau alongside Lynch and Balta is enticing.

yep. this lost any scope of credibility when you mentioned Lenny Hayes. he an absolute warrior. holds no standing when talking about thw average acl.. also curious...have you done one? if you haven't then you have no idea....
Yes, Lenny Hayes is a warrior. He finished the game off. Lefau did not. He walked the bench. I never said he was as tough as Hayes, nor did I doubt is toughness. There is obviously a range of ACL outcomes, from professional footballers who can continue playing or perhaps walking, and big footy posters who cannot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RICHMOND has committed to re-signing key forward Mykelti Lefau after he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament on Saturday night.

Lefau was added to the Tigers' rookie list at the end of the pre-season supplemental selection period in February, but now faces a long stint on the sidelines with his second knee reconstruction in two years.

The Tigers had been working on a two-year deal before the injury and are expected to lock in an extension in the coming weeks.

Mykelti Lefau is proving a dangerous target with a couple of strong efforts to earn two important goals for Richmond

Lefau was one of 10 players signed across the competition during the SSP and has been one of the most successful signings of the summer, kicking 14 goals from 10 appearances, including 3.2 against West Coast and four other games with two goals.

The New Zealander ruptured the ACL in his right knee at GMHBA Stadium – the opposite knee to the one he did in 2022 – and is the fifth Richmond player to suffer the season-ending injury this year. – Josh Gabelich

Yes, Lenny Hayes is a warrior. He finished the game off. Lefau did not. He walked the bench. I never said he was as tough as Hayes, nor did I doubt is toughness. There is obviously a range of ACL outcomes, from professional footballers who can continue playing or perhaps walking, and big footy posters who cannot.
that's the thing with acl injuries. they are still a bit of a mystery. they come from innocuous incidents are in my case out of the blue. and yes you are right there is a wide range of experiences post injury that can be vastly different from one patient to another however the one thing you absolutely cannot do is move laterally which for a player of this code makes it pretty limiting to play the game effectively. I would think continuing to rum without an acl would also damage other parts of the knee in the long run as well like cartilage. in Mt case I had a meniscus tear before the acl which possibly contributed to the acl going....

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #42 Mykelti Lefau Re-Signed 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back