Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:

Imo he's shown he has the ability and has strung a few nice blocks of good footy together throughout his career when he gets an extended, injury-free run and builds his confidence up.
The problem has always been that it always takes him just that little bit too long to build into that form, and he can look shocking during that time. He's also one of these guys that seems to get an injury just after he's found some really form and the process start again. Very much like Sam Reid through most of his career.

Just can't trust his body, but if he could get that right he could be the perfect depth KD on an AFL list. If he finishes the season well and gets no injuries, definitely like to sign him up for another if he gets no better offers elsewhere.

In th circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if we give him a three year deal.

Huge tests v Lions and Cats coming up.

one year on base payments with incentives

What’s his job security like?
Considering trading him into my side to leave as a bench option for the rest of the season in supercoach. Need him to be a part of your best 22 for the rest of the season. Who’s to come back that can take his spot?

What’s his job security like?
Considering trading him into my side to leave as a bench option for the rest of the season in supercoach. Need him to be a part of your best 22 for the rest of the season. Who’s to come back that can take his spot?

It's on the cards that Tom McCartin may return the week after this one. Even so, Melican may hold his spot.

I'd prefer him over Francis atm

Me too. Except they play kind of different roles - I think Francis is the better interceptor and Melican is better one on one. Tom McCartin is probably better at both but played the more lockdown role while Paddy was the interceptor.

It regularly takes defenders a while before they hit some form. Richards was 26/27 (same as Melican now) before he solidified his position in the team.

It's currently his position to lose. If he continues this form he'll get another contract at the Swans soon enough

It regularly takes defenders a while before they hit some form. Richards was 26/27 (same as Melican now) before he solidified his position in the team.

It's currently his position to lose. If he continues this form he'll get another contract at the Swans soon enough
Hopefully we stock up on kpfs and delist this guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lose key defender because? and bring in key forwards. We'll look silly when Blakey is being asked to be our key defender again

typo KPD.

Melican might be the dumbest KPD I have seen.

I don't agree. I think when he's in form he's assured and reads the play very well.

people with decent footy IQ can always read the play, it is their ability to execute that varies. It is obvious at the game he requires direction.

He was reportedly encouraged to look around but I’m guessing other Clubs don’t rate him.

There is an outside chance the Cats may have some interest if Ratogolea moves.

people with decent footy IQ can always read the play, it is their ability to execute that varies. It is obvious at the game he requires direction.

He was reportedly encouraged to look around but I’m guessing other Clubs don’t rate him.

Not sure I agree with you here, Horrie. Pretty sure I heard one of the commentators after the game talking about how Melican was one of the players who was organising the backline during the game. I think he is no worse than others and just needs a sustained go at it and you may change your tune.

I remember when so many on here complained about him one day when Hogan took him apart for GWS. Apparently he was slow, couldn't stay on his man, etc and therefore should have his papers stamped. However, when you looked at what happened, the GWS forwards all blocked for Hogan and gave him a metre start over Melican and our backs did nothing to help. I think a lot of the angst about Melican comes from around that time. Sure, he isn't the best KPD in the game, but there are only 2 or 3 of those in the entire country and the rest of the teams have to make do with what they have. I think he does a pretty decent job against the most talented, gifted big forwards in the entire country - forwards who can make any KPD look a fool on their day.

I thought he didn't have decent footy IQ?

I thought he didn't have decent footy IQ?
Reminds me a bit of Towers. Has the tools but when the gun goes off he's not sure what to do. Cunningham used to be like that too on the wing. It's why he gets caught out. He's not sure when and where to go. It's only milliseconds but it makes a big difference CF Rampe. In the 2021 EF he froze. It's a decision making problem.

Reminds me a bit of Towers. Has the tools but when the gun goes off he's not sure what to do. Cunningham used to be like that too on the wing. It's why he gets caught out. He's not sure when and where to go. It's only milliseconds but it makes a big difference CF Rampe. In the 2021 EF he froze. It's a decision making problem.

exactly.

Should learn from Blakey as I get the strong impression he doesn't know what he is going to do with the ball either and just goes "heck it" and does the first thing that comes to mind.

Should learn from Blakey as I get the strong impression he doesn't know what he is going to do with the ball either and just goes "* it" and does the first thing that comes to mind.
Blakey has things to learn too. I certainly don't want our defensive-minded defenders (as they should be), trying to burst through congestion or take players on, with pace they don't have, and responsibilities they do have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back