Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:
I've sprayed Melican for years but he was outstanding tonight and has had a solid year overall.

If we bring in McKay it might push him back in the depth chart but he can definitely be best 22 based on tonight, especially with Rampe likely to need a few rests.

I've sprayed Melican for years but he was outstanding tonight and has had a solid year overall.

If we bring in McKay it might push him back in the depth chart but he can definitely be best 22 based on tonight, especially with Rampe likely to need a few rests.
I have a feeling we have valued McKay at less than he values himself. We'll see.

Was superb tonight along with McCartin. They seem to have a good synergy between them. Played well earlier in the year before the injury too. Hopefully he gets a full season injury free next year as he showed he really has what it takes tonight.
Pre-season of 2021, following McCartin & Melican playing the last five games of 2020 together and looking really solid, the club was pumping up their potential partnership. I recall both gave interviews where they spoke about working together. First practice match vs GWS, Melican was BOG. Did his hamstring a week later and the rest is history. But I think that duo is what Horse & co have been aiming for for a long time now.

It all hinges on that hamstring...

Reports Lewis Melican has signed a one-year deal for 2024

Get the feeling he’ll get a big contract extension should he stay fit for most of 2024. Great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't been Lewis's greatest fan over time but I would be seriously delighted if this was the outcome. He certainly has the physical attributes so if the rest catches up that bit it will be excellent.

I haven't been Lewis's greatest fan over time but I would be seriously delighted if this was the outcome. He certainly has the physical attributes so if the rest catches up that bit it will be excellent.

Same. Best of luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Clarko commenting after we beat Hawthorn a few years back about how good Melican was and how the Swans keep identifying players like him.

I think the only thing that has held back Melican since then is injuries. Fingers crossed he can stay fit. He is a solid defender and can make a good clean pass out of defence, low and fast.

Though I would still prefer one more big backman on our list. If we don’t sign McKay, I could see one of Reid, Bullet or Amartey being primed for defence next year.

Surprised its just a one year extension. Wonder if that was driven by the club or Lewis.
Why surprised? He just finished a lengthy contract in which he struggled to get into and stay in seniors. If it had ended last year he may have been delisted. Maybe 2 years on lower salary given our KPD issues, but 1 is fair.

Melican sure aint no pelican as a tall defender. His 2017 is still tattooed into my head, I was so impressed that I thought he would surely cement a KPD spot in our 22 for years to come. But alas, the injuries.

His biggest weakness remains his speed off the mark when trying to stick to a KPF on the lead, with his spoiling fist sometimes finishing just a foot or so short of the marking contest. But overall he is definitely good enough - if he can stay fit.

Why surprised? He just finished a lengthy contract in which he struggled to get into and stay in seniors. If it had ended last year he may have been delisted. Maybe 2 years on lower salary given our KPD issues, but 1 is fair.
I'm just surprised he didn't have any other clubs interested enough that he could warrant a 2 year contract. He's been good outside of his injury issues.

I'm just surprised he didn't have any other clubs interested enough that he could warrant a 2 year contract. He's been good outside of his injury issues.
Yes he has but unfortunately, his injuries have been a constant issue.
I'd like to think if he manages a full season, he'll get a big extension next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back