Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:
Should learn from Blakey as I get the strong impression he doesn't know what he is going to do with the ball either and just goes "* it" and does the first thing that comes to mind.
As Blakey learns his decision making improves. He is getting choosier when to attack and when to be conservative. What I like is that he makes up his mind quickly which to do. For sure sometimes he hits that gap with no clue what's on the other side but full freedom in his mind to play what's in front of him. Love it. Jones tried it but screwed it up more often than not.

Suspect he is out injured this week. Copped a knee to a quad and was struggling to get off the ground.

By no means his worst game but is a plain VFL footballer and it showed. Tough ask on taller talented opponents but he lacked answers. Opponents with a quick movement and a jink catch him out.

Thought he was really impressive once again. Just getting a hand to so many contests and looking very sturdy when it's his time to stand up for a big mark or spoil.
Did get caught out of position a bit, but wasn't our worst KPD and I find it hard to criticise our defence too much atm with what the rest of the team are making them deal with.

If tonight's game was meant to make it easy to decide who of Melican or Francis to make way for Tom McCartin next week it didn't work.
Both played OK games against poor opposition. Melican stumbled into Allen's back to give up WC first goal. Francis got caught one on two vs Darling and ended up nowhere. Also a goal. Other than those they were both solid.
If it was my choice I'd keep Francis because of his ability to intercept, but who knows.
Might drop them both and bring back Fox!!!

If tonight's game was meant to make it easy to decide who of Melican or Francis to make way for Tom McCartin next week it didn't work.
Both played OK games against poor opposition. Melican stumbled into Allen's back to give up WC first goal. Francis got caught one on two vs Darling and ended up nowhere. Also a goal. Other than those they were both solid.
If it was my choice I'd keep Francis because of his ability to intercept, but who knows.
Might drop them both and bring back Fox!!!

I agree that Francis might get the nod because he is more of an interceptor and TMac is well placed to cover the more lockdown role that Lewis has been playing.

I think I have delisted him multiple times in this thread . So hypocritical of me , but I would sign him for a year despite the injury and just let him get the body right. Showed enough , worth a punt especially given our tall defender depth. I also presume Gould is done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably becomes the most critical player on our list if Tommy Mac misses first week of finals.

Went ok in the VFL today. Absolutely needs to perform against Melbourne to gain a bit of confidence - as he’s likely to get Max King in finals week 1.

Reportedly re-signed for 2 years.
Back in the first team the same week.
Meli - can.
Fantastic news. I'm really glad we were able to keep him. I really hope he gets a good run at it and cements his spot down back.

Fantastic news. I'm really glad we were able to keep him. I really hope he gets a good run at it and cements his spot down back.
He was regaining his old form earlier this year. Hope it continues. Prior to his knee injury of two years back I had him on AA trajectory.
Francis and Arnold also competitive in reserve if needed.

And if it means we don't need to spend $750k on a big Norf lump then all the better.
I hope we go after O'Sullivan in the draft as a developing player for when Rampe can no longer command a spot. I mean, fits a need, appears a big athletic specimen, high calibre talent and is a Swans fan - that's the type we want to throw in for big time IMHO.

Was superb tonight along with McCartin. They seem to have a good synergy between them. Played well earlier in the year before the injury too. Hopefully he gets a full season injury free next year as he showed he really has what it takes tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back