Player Watch #43 Lewis Melican - All Aboard the Melicopter...aka The Melican Brief

Remove this Banner Ad

mZtLLjGh.jpg

Lewis Melican

Player Profile

Lewis Melican is a young key defender with enormous promise. The Victorian was rookie-listed by the Sydney Swans in November 2014 and enjoyed a breakthrough 2017 season en route to winning the club’s Rising Star award. He kept St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt to just 10 possessions and one goal in Round 18 to claim an AFL Rising Star nomination. Melican has battled a number of injuries in his time in red and white but didn’t suffer any setbacks in 2019. Draft history: 2015 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 52.

Lewis Melican

DOB: 04 November 1996
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: Birregurra (Vic)/Geelong U18

Last edited:
If we miss out on McKay and have Melican instead, I'm cool with that. I care more about getting Grundy than McKay. I like Melican. His best is pretty good. I'm hoping he can be another slow burn Reg and become cherished internally and by Swans fans over the back half of his career. His disposal is improving too.

1 for him
3 for Amartey

Both injury prone and shown glimpses

Perfect example of the difference in importance between Forwards and Defenders

1 for him
3 for Amartey

Both injury prone and shown glimpses

Perfect example of the difference in importance between Forwards and Defenders
Not really a full explanation, though there is a bias in general.

Melican is 3 years older and has just finished a 3 year deal (extended in 2020), after his first extension was also 3 years (extended in 2017). The 2nd extension his injury concerns were known, but we didn't have an abundance of KPDs and we had seen some good footy.

With Amartey, post-Buddy and Reid, we're just locking in someone who has played some good games, in a position where we're light on established players/depth. Arguably we need a 5th KPF this draft, unless we see Ladhams and a kept Gould as good enough to support Buller (at first) so we've got injury backup and reserves structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really was brilliant early in the game.

From a personal perspective he is turning into a bit of a Heath Grundy. I wondered what the club saw in him, but he developed into being a wonderful defender over his career, and I'm starting to see the same with Melican.

Great to see him feeling confident in his body. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed his body allows him to fulfil the potential that has always been there.

stats probably won't show it but i thought that was just about his best game
he seemed so steady and sure, and showed a touch of class to find warner for that important late goal
but in defence, definitely, he stood tall beside mccartin and they dominated collingwood's forwards

Lewis really earning his spot. Has stopped giving away stupid frees and seems to be anticipating much better. Great to see. Hope he keeps it up and stays healthy.

Really was brilliant early in the game.

From a personal perspective he is turning into a bit of a Heath Grundy. I wondered what the club saw in him, but he developed into being a wonderful defender over his career, and I'm starting to see the same with Melican.

Completely agree. Had a number of brain fades tonight up there with Grundy.

Other than one really crappy moment where he tried to switch the kick and it went to a Collingwood player he had a fantastic game today.
I think Jordon was more to blame for that. The Melican kick was ok but Jordon was flat footed and waited for it to come to him rather than moving to meet it.

Deadset so ****ing proud. Love him and just want him to get a good run at footy without injury setbacks. I also love how the boys get around him so much for all of his efforts. They're as invested in Lewis MeliCAN as we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back