Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not ruining the vibes when you're being objective about his performances. Nobody can tell me he's been near his best where he was a few years ago and a lot of his performances center around contract years being even more inconsistent.

Now that it's done, its fair for the fans and the club to expect more. Because he's an 'almost' player now for long enough. Same with LDU.

I love both of these guys as players, but they're not getting the best out of themselves. Especially when a 19 year old kid is out there proving that point week in and week out that yes, there are levels to this. Being AFL grade doesn't net you premierships, and that's all I give a **** about.
Like disco_cowboy, I'm not sure the evidence points to Zurhaar's inconsistency, or that he his best years are behind him. I'd argue this season is - when looking at overall performance - his best yet; averaging 1.5 goals a game, a bit less than his best, but with more disposals, goal assists, I50s and tackles than his highest goal kicking years (2021 and 2022).

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 5.51.06 PM.png

He deleted because he was getting abused by duckheads on insta due to grubs like Cornes in the media calling him a hypocrite and stirring up shit for not signing after bagging JHF.
Did I ever mention here that I can't stand Cornes?

Cannot stand him at all.

Number One Party GIF by Ben L

Like disco_cowboy, I'm not sure the evidence points to Zurhaar's inconsistency, or that he his best years are behind him. I'd argue this season is - when looking at overall performance - his best yet; averaging 1.5 goals a game, a bit less than his best, but with more disposals, goal assists, I50s and tackles than his highest goal kicking years (2021 and 2022).

View attachment 2063933
Great point and agree. He has a few more games to make 2024 at least a statistically best season of his career. I think also importantly, he has been healthy and has only missed one game so far this season.

IMO he has the potential to be like a De Goey/Stringer hybrid (but more likeable). When on, an absolute nightmare to play on - powerful, physical, strong, skilful. As many have pointed out though, its the lack of consistency that has prevented Cam from getting to that level.

His 2019 and 2024 have been his most complete and consistent so far - it's not bad, but we all know he can do far more. Last season, he added ball winning as a string to his bow, and this year he has raised his tackles and goal assists back to 2019 levels. His goal-kicking is slightly down but combined goals/GA is at equal career-best 2.2.

He kicked 34 goals/15 games in 2022, and 31 goals/14 games in 2021, averaging 2.2 goals/game in those periods. That's pretty awesome. On the flipside, he had 0 goals/4 consecutive games and 0 goals/6 consecutive games in those years, respectively. Those periods are also well-documented and forms part of the criticism that Cam only shows up for periods of a season.

I think with his future secure, at 26 with 100+ games under his belt, and with a genuine expectation to play finals soon, we will see Cam enter his peak. Assuming good health, he has the potential to put together basically a 2018 Jordan De Goey season, which is AA-level. And like De Goey, he is an even more dangerous proposition when the stakes are highest - in the finals.

Here's hoping! The stage is set!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in the old days, the nasty 'enforcer' type players are in the backline think of archer, martyn, pike etc. These days, they are in the forward line to attack the opp's defenders and apply aggression, pressure and physical prescence.

zurhaar gets the 5 years because he has that prescence.

in the old days, the nasty 'enforcer' type players are in the backline think of archer, martyn, pike etc. These days, they are in the forward line to attack the opp's defenders and apply aggression, pressure and physical prescence.

zurhaar gets the 5 years because he has that prescence.
There’s no such thing as nasty enforcer types in modern football.

Sorry for being being a bit of a Debbie downer.

But he deleted his instagram, remained tight lipped almost as if he resented the club since before the Good Friday game and constantly heard north needed to improve.

All to hear ‘I love this club’.

I mean LDU wasn’t doing this shit.

Didn’t he delete the account because of threats to his safety, Debbie?

This Richmond game is big for Cam. He has held the club and fans at ransom a little with the uncertainty, calling into question the commitment of his teammates, all the while kangaroo hopping through his mediocre form pre-bye.

He needs to come out firing and backup the faith the team has shown in him. It would be a terrible look for him to have another disappointing game in our final Melbourne based home game of the season.

In saying this, I’m expecting 22 possessions, 6 marks and 3.2 from Cam today.

Pleased he's signed. He's been pretty good post bye. Hopefully a weight is off his shoulders and we get the good bull consistently .
he could go next level if we can tighten up on our inside 50's

Didn’t he delete the account because of threats to his safety, Debbie?
Well, he kept his bullshit cooking one going pretty strong.

I’m not a cam hater. A few years ago, I thought he was captain material, but he and his manager did in fact tell us they wanted to see improvement. Yet we’ve seen sweet f all. We’re giving solid 5 year deals to our senior core who like to switch off once they’ve gotten them. I hope cam does a better job.

This Richmond game is big for Cam. He has held the club and fans at ransom a little with the uncertainty, calling into question the commitment of his teammates, all the while kangaroo hopping through his mediocre form pre-bye.

He needs to come out firing and backup the faith the team has shown in him. It would be a terrible look for him to have another disappointing game in our final Melbourne based home game of the season.

In saying this, I’m expecting 22 possessions, 6 marks and 3.2 from Cam today.
Ransom 🤨
Bit dramatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #44: Cameron Zurhaar - has re-signed until the end of 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

Back