AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the worst goal sense and can never take a half chance that falls his way. Give me Davey over him
the lack of pressure other than a stray arm is what bothers me.

You can see Gresham could play higher up the ground, he could play as a crumbing small. Menzie lacks in both of these areas imho.

the lack of pressure other than a stray arm is what bothers me.

You can see Gresham could play higher up the ground, he could play as a crumbing small. Menzie lacks in both of these areas imho.
Is it the lack of pressure or a poor tackling style with Menzie ? seems he is a guy who gets stepped easily and is forever throwing out an arm .
He was pretty bad last night . He ****ed a few things up and also go some horrible bounces when he was in position A . Think he earned his recall based on his VFL game but it just was one of those games.
As far as playing up the ground. He was decent in the first game he was on the wing or at half back but poor in the second one. Not much of a sample size.

Is it the lack of pressure or a poor tackling style with Menzie ? seems he is a guy who gets stepped easily and is forever throwing out an arm .
He was pretty bad last night . He ****ed a few things up and also go some horrible bounces when he was in position A . Think he earned his recall based on his VFL game but it just was one of those games.
Menzie as a total average 1.4 tackles a game. that is across each game not as a fwd 50 stat. This is my concern. I want blokes to actually lay tackles and stick not just the new age "pressure rating" we get from Alwyn Davey either.

Menzie as a total average 1.4 tackles a game. that is across each game not as a fwd 50 stat. This is my concern. I want blokes to actually lay tackles and stick not just the new age "pressure rating" we get from Alwyn Davey either.
That's why I questioned if it is more technique . You can go back to near the start of this thread and find where I have said his pressure and tackling numbers need to be better. I have several hobby horses. Better forward pressure is one :)

Last year I was a bit of a fan and he played good in the reserves last week but he looks startled at the highest level this year. Geelong got that Lawson guy from Swan Districts and he immediately looked composed from his first match. And that is the worry with Jye, good players look fairly composed from early on. At least one of the Daveys will kick a goal or two from half chances and have that strut they belong at the top level.

Another Dodo special (the extension)

Lucky he didn't give him 3 more years.
Did not realize Dodoro was coaching the side .
Another opinion based on zero information on who is now making the decisions.
Free tip. If Scott did not want him. He would not be going around next year.
Flame the right bloke :thumbsu:

Last year I was a bit of a fan and he played good in the reserves last week but he looks startled at the highest level this year. Geelong got that Lawson guy from Swan Districts and he immediately looked composed from his first match. And that is the worry with Jye, good players look fairly composed from early on. At least one of the Daveys will kick a goal or two from half chances and have that strut they belong at the top level.
D'Ambrosio, Nic Martin other examples of guys stepping straight up to the level. Menzie last night looked an absolute battler in every single football action or decision he needed to make, applied no pressure and had was not a tackle or scoring threat. He has no speed or goal sense. Last year i would've described him as a hard at it player, he looked shit scared to be anywhere near the ball last night. Did not want to know about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D'Ambrosio, Nic Martin other examples of guys stepping straight up to the level. Menzie last night looked an absolute battler in every single football action or decision he needed to make, applied no pressure and had was not a tackle or scoring threat. He has no speed or goal sense. Last year i would've described him as a hard at it player, he looked shit scared to be anywhere near the ball last night. Did not want to know about it.
I really want to give him a mulligan and go again and think due to the poor results of all three, maybe, just maybe he will be given a second opportunity on Saturday night.

Out of curiosity, does the 1 year = rookie list or does he need to be upgraded to the main list?

When he ran onto that ball last man heading toward the goal with a break on his opponent you just felt nothing would come of it. He just seems to get immediately closed down. Last year I was impressed by how clean his hands were and haven't seen that this year. Someone posted on Blitz his times in the Carlton match - he hit the highest speed (33km per hr) and his running is elite (he ran over 15km and from memory had highest average speed and up there in repeat sprints) but at senior level it isn't translating to anything - no separation, no ability to run down opponents.

Did not realize Dodoro was coaching the side .
Another opinion based on zero information on who is now making the decisions.
Free tip. If Scott did not want him. He would not be going around next year.
Flame the right bloke :thumbsu:
Scott told our list manager in charge of contracts and trades to sign him up for another year with 6 rounds to go?

Why did the great Dodo not tell him it will be done in the offseason like most are? Are we worried about someone stealing Jye ****ing Menzie?

When he ran onto that ball last man heading toward the goal with a break on his opponent you just felt nothing would come of it. He just seems to get immediately closed down. Last year I was impressed by how clean his hands were and haven't seen that this year. Someone posted on Blitz his times in the Carlton match - he hit the highest speed (33km per hr) and his running is elite (he ran over 15km and from memory had highest average speed and up there in repeat sprints) but at senior level it isn't translating to anything - no separation, no ability to run down opponents.
Could be a mental thing. Confidence shot at the moment

Scott told our list manager in charge of contracts and trades to sign him up for another year with 6 rounds to go?

Why did the great Dodo not tell him it will be done in the offseason like most are? Are we worried about someone stealing Jye ****ing Menzie?
Well yes Scott told them he is a required player so sign him up . That is exactly what happened.

He has some nice attributes but nothing that stands out and I don't know what his best position is, and I'm not sure the coaches do either.

That said I don't mind them giving him another year. There's a few ahead of him that need to go and we I doubt we would find someone better with a 5th round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back