AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Request for new thread title - Jye Menzie - Singular. There is no S
you’ve got your Menzies, you’ve got your Shields, you’ve got your Heppells - they’re all important to the team

I've said it a few times and every time I watch him only solidifies it more - has zero footballing strengths. Bog average at everything (at best). Quite perplexing that he's on an AFL list let alone getting a game. He'd want to suddenly emerge next season with something worthwhile about his game to have any hope of a 3rd season you'd think (/hope).

Kinda reminds me of Snelling. Not sure what he's good at or why he gets games but he tries his best.
I thought Snelling had one or two really impactful seasons. Definitely had limitations in his game but thought he also had his strengths

Kinda reminds me of Snelling. Not sure what he's good at or why he gets games but he tries his best.

Snelling was good at the VFL (or other state league) level, but not quite at AFL level. Menzie does some nice things at VFL level and certainly has ability, but seems to be struggling to take that next step up.

He's quite good 1-on-1 for a small player, strong body, at state league was a regular goal kicker and looked decent down back at AFL level when he got thrown back there.

Snelling was good at the VFL (or other state league) level, but not quite at AFL level. Menzie does some nice things at VFL level and certainly has ability, but seems to be struggling to take that next step up.

He's quite good 1-on-1 for a small player, strong body, at state league was a regular goal kicker and looked decent down back at AFL level when he got thrown back there.
He really does show genuine glimpses, especially knock ons etc, to players in a better position. Has had a number of score involvements that don't register a stat (I don't think??) Has also had some bad luck, with the bounce of the ball, as well as that ridiculous deliberate behind free kick against. Desperately needs a break out game, to give him some confidence at AFL level. He's one that I'd be happy to see play the rest of the year, lock him down in one position though.

He really does show genuine glimpses, especially knock ons etc, to players in a better position. Has had a number of score involvements that don't register a stat (I don't think??) Has also had some bad luck, with the bounce of the ball, as well as that ridiculous deliberate behind free kick against. Desperately needs a break out game, to give him some confidence at AFL level. He's one that I'd be happy to see play the rest of the year, lock him down in one position though.

I think he's got reasonable football IQ, sometimes you have guys that are solid at VFL level where their physical limitations aren't a problem, but then struggle to make the step up. Sometimes it works the opposite way; I'd say Davey Jnr looks no worse at AFL level than VFL level because he has a genuine leg speed advantage over AFL players still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzie has been patchy this year but anyone would think he did not go at a goal a game last year .
‘Patchy’ would suggest he’s having some good moments. I can only think of one game where I’d give him a pass mark this year and that was when he had a bit of a run off HB and that was nothing amazing. He got goals last year by being in the right place at the right time but, and I’ve said it ad nauseum, he doesn’t make things happen, he isn’t fast, and he applies minimal forward pressure. For the most part he looks lost.

Battler by nature gives a Battler performance

Coaching staff:

Surprised Meme GIF

He wears 47 for a reason. He is Brayden Ham with a chest. He is not senior standard.

Perhaps the only player in the league who visibly looks afraid of contact and physicality. The number of times he’s out the back winning the foot race for a loose ball only to look back in genuine fear, fumble, give a half assed attempt at a tackle and then fall over is alarming. And we just gave him another year. What the ****.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back