AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

No forward planning for life after Tippa. You can't wait till someone is cooked before you look at replacements.
I mean that's not true. We drafted Snelling, Mosquito, Cahill and Johnson as small forwards at a minimum before he was cooked. They didn't work out as we hoped due to various circumstances (injury/no good etc) but we were looking for them.

I think he is being crucified on here. He wasn't that bad he's just not confident in his ability to play to the game plan
I reckon If he gets paid the fee kick for on the shoulder in the making contest in the first five minutes and he kicks it he gets some confidence back and this discussion is totally different. He's still a kid
Coaches must rate him a little

I think he is being crucified on here. He wasn't that bad he's just not confident in his ability to play to the game plan
I reckon If he gets paid the fee kick for on the shoulder in the making contest in the first five minutes and he kicks it he gets some confidence back and this discussion is totally different. He's still a kid
Coaches must rate him a little
They rate the fact he will always give you 120% . If Jayden Davey gave as much effort every week he would e playing now .
Personally I am not as bent out of shape as some. He has had a shocker this year and has simply made too many mistakes but he is cheap and only got 1 year . I doubt he is a lock in any of their plans going forward .

I’m speculating here but I wonder whether he could also be part of a bigger issue in that there could possibly be players who are looking at Jye’s output in said role and questioning why they aren’t getting game.

I reckon Nick Hind for all his faults could mount a pretty solid case. Apparently Archie Perkins now wants to play more as a forward after his experiment as a midfielder (rather than sitting on opposition mids).

If Archie can recapture his form he is a better option for the high half forward role I reckon.
hind has the speed to apply actual pressure and not perceived pressured. he has also demonstrated good ground ball skills and some nous around goals

hind has the speed to apply actual pressure and not perceived pressured. he has also demonstrated good ground ball skills and some nous around goals
It would be nice if he applied some modicum of pressure then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean that's not true. We drafted Snelling, Mosquito, Cahill and Johnson as small forwards at a minimum before he was cooked. They didn't work out as we hoped due to various circumstances (injury/no good etc) but we were looking for them.

Obviously we don't rate small forwards as much as we should.
To me its an under rated position that most teams have at least one or two good ones.

Menzie MID SEASON PICK (2nd Round)
Snelling MID SEASON PICK (1st Round)
Mosquito LATE SECOND ROUNDER
Cahill LATE NATIONAL DRAFT PICK (Pick 50+)
Johnson LATE NATIONAL DRAFT PICK (Pick 60+)

To me its an under rated position that most teams have at least one or two good ones.

We've had so many other holes to fill that we haven't really been able to prioritise it.

In Kako we might have gotten lucky, a genuinely highly rated Small Forward that we'll get at a value price. If between Kako and the two Davey's we can find one or two genuine AFL players that'll be some very nice luck falling our way. A bit like Collingwood getting lucky with Moore, Daicos and Daicos.

You're just as likely to find the best post pick 40 as you are earlier. I mean, let's look at the last 10 AA small forwards:

Toby Greene pick 11
Charlie Cameron RD
Tyson Stengle RD
Shai Bolton pick 29
Tom Papley RD
Liam Ryan pick 26
Michael Walters pick 53
Luke Breust RD
Robbie Gray pick 55
Eddie Betts PSD

That's not including Dylan Moore, one of three in contention this year for the AA small forward slot with Greene and Stengle as a pick 67. I don't think it's that we're not prioritising them, I think it's that you're just as likely to get a good one later as you are earlier.

You're just as likely to find the best post pick 40 as you are earlier. I mean, let's look at the last 10 AA small forwards:

Toby Greene pick 11
Charlie Cameron RD
Tyson Stengle RD
Shai Bolton pick 29
Tom Papley RD
Liam Ryan pick 26
Michael Walters pick 53
Luke Breust RD
Robbie Gray pick 55
Eddie Betts PSD

That's not including Dylan Moore, one of three in contention this year for the AA small forward slot with Greene and Stengle as a pick 67. I don't think it's that we're not prioritising them, I think it's that you're just as likely to get a good one later as you are earlier.
Thats a fair point but at the same time when you have lacked a good small forwards apart from Tippa (Over the last 20 years?) maybe you need to try and find one earlier in the draft instead of hoping for the best.
I guess its just one of the positions that has let us down for a long time now.
Who would our top 5 small forwards be over the last 20 years?

Thats a fair point but at the same time when you have lacked a good small forwards apart from Tippa (Over the last 20 years?) maybe you need to try and find one earlier in the draft instead of hoping for the best.
It depends, best for us or best overall?

For us it'd be Walla, Raz, Davey, Monfries, Chapman
Best overall if including before us Chapman, Williams, then repeat the first three

Post-Bewick?

Tippa
Fantasia
Davey Sr
Guelfi
Gresham

Special mention… Reimers for destroying a naive Gold Coast and sneaky Jetta for giving us a BF username to cringe at.

It depends, best for us or best overall?

For us it'd be Walla, Raz, Davey, Monfries, Chapman
Best overall if including before us Chapman, Williams, then repeat the first three
Monfries was never that true small forward we are craving. Chappy gave us one decent season but it included 9 goals in his first three games followed by 13 in his next 17 games.

Post-Bewick?

Tippa
Fantasia
Davey Sr
Guelfi
Gresham

Special mention… Reimers for destroying a naive Gold Coast and sneaky Jetta for giving us a BF username to cringe at.

Yep post Berwick...such an under rated player.

That list to me says it all.
Tippa was a gun and if he was a bit more consistent would of been All Australian.
Think he might have been in AA form the year he completely dropped off.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie - Signs on for 2025 - 18/7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back