4th Ashes Test England v Australia July 19-23 1930hrs @ Old Trafford

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot-2019-05-08-at-12.22.04.png

G'day Piers...
Meghan Markle to present the Ashes to Cummins at the Oval would be the icing on the cake.

MOTS will be interesting.

At the moment statistically all of Crawley, Broad and Stokes are well ahead of an Aussie alternative.

Khawaja is probably the best option for us, but Crawley has him covered by runs, average and scoring at triple the SR.

Funnily enough, if Marsh has a big game, he statistically would be our best option, despite not playing in the 2 wins.
Give it to Alex Carey 😉.

Realistically it wouldn’t even be that far off. The high quality of his keeping compared to Bairstow’s amateur efforts was genuinely one of the key differences in the ultimately decisive first two tests.

Pommie here who will not actually congratulate you but will say when it mattered you played the smarter stuff in first two tests.

I don't blame Stokes for the declaration but has to take some for bowling Root to Cummins at Edgbaston. I will not forgive Bairstow for those mistakes and Broad should know better than bowling no balls.

Words cannot describe how dumb following the short ball was at Lord's when in healthy position.

Facts are it's no good waking up in Ashes series when you are already 2-0 down and giving yourself a mountain to climb.

Anyway see you again in 2025 when you will of course beat us senseless down under again. One day we will find some quick bowlers who can stay fit in your conditions.
Much respect to you mate. Lets face it: Its been a tight series with both teams making many small errors under pressure and Australia has just had a fraction more resilience in the first 2 tests.

I wouldn't be surprised if you pipped us in Australia in 2025 but it at least should be a much more entertaining series here that we usually don't get due to their one-sided nature with how England have been playing. Hopefully Stokes and McCullum can learn a little and adjust a bit better (as I hope Cummins does) and the next series we see an evolved form of both styles when we see what will probably be the last Ashes for a number of players on both sides. I am actually looking forward to that series.

All the best in India (but none of the best for Thursday-Monday) :thumbsu:

Much respect to you mate. Lets face it: Its been a tight series with both teams making many small errors under pressure and Australia has just had a fraction more resilience in the first 2 tests.

I wouldn't be surprised if you pipped us in Australia in 2025 but it at least should be a much more entertaining series here that we usually don't get due to their one-sided nature with how England have been playing. Hopefully Stokes and McCullum can learn a little and adjust a bit better (as I hope Cummins does) and the next series we see an evolved form of both styles when we see what will probably be the last Ashes for a number of players on both sides. I am actually looking forward to that series.

All the best in India (but none of the best for Thursday-Monday) :thumbsu:
Not really bothered if you win this last test as I'm only thinking about 2025 now. Unfortunately we just don’t have the express pace options to ever trouble you in Oz and don’t see that changing. Wood will be two years older, Archer looks finished in test cricket and Stone & Mahmood are total sicknotes.

Many of your supporters also make a very valid point about maybe if England weren't such bunnies down under we could afford a few more drawn series

Absolutely bang on about not declaring early enough when you know there is bad weather for two days. Stokes and McCullum have much to learn before we meet again.

We were so dumb batting on past lunch on that third day,also far too cautious on that evening session of day 2 with you lot looking demoralised.

Last edited:
I think you make good points. You're probably in the wrong time and place to be doing it though. I'd make loads of changes to test cricket - longer days, strict penalties for slow overrates, no misuse of sub-fielders, no bringing out drinks for batsmen, ball changes after 60 overs, no super flat wickets, etc. We could have four-day tests over longer days and sell the package far better as a Thursday - Sunday event (like golf). But you're not going to get much change out of the punters on this thread at this time.
Absolutely this! The Poms bowled 83 overs on the first day (full day + the additional 30 mins at the end)!!! Don't go p***ing and moaning about the weather letting you down when you dawdle in the field and lose so much time. The Aussies aren't much better in this area to be fair, and the ICC has now moved from a wet-lettuce approach (fines and loss of WTC points) to whatever is even more limp wristed than wet-lettuce.

The sanctimony of some English players and supporters at the moment is truly wonderful to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pommie here who will not actually congratulate you but will say when it mattered you played the smarter stuff in first two tests.

I don't blame Stokes for the declaration but has to take some for bowling Root to Cummins at Edgbaston. I will not forgive Bairstow for those mistakes and Broad should know better than bowling no balls.

Words cannot describe how dumb following the short ball was at Lord's when in healthy position.

Facts are it's no good waking up in Ashes series when you are already 2-0 down and giving yourself a mountain to climb.

Anyway see you again in 2025 when you will of course beat us senseless down under again. One day we will find some quick bowlers who can stay fit in your conditions.

about time rain did the aussies a favour.

it cost us in our own backyard in sydney in 2021/22 of winning 5-0
and cost us in melbourne in the 20/20 world cup of making the semi final when the game v england was washed out.

I was going to watch some of the West Indies v India test but that match has been delayed by rain as well.

Not a great day for us genuine test cricket fans, a great day for all of the genuine rain fans here though.

Who wants to watch the cricket when you can watch the rain.
The Arbiter of True Test Cricket Fans has spoken.

Thinking about Root whinging about figuring out how to get more play in. I don't recall his comments when the Poms only bowled 83 overs on day 1, even with an extra half an hour played.
Self criticism would mean criticism of the cult's dear leader, which is most definitely not allowed.

No, it’s the worst it’s ever been.

I’m over here in the UK on holidays and it is quite frankly unbelievable.

I’ve never seen as much hatred for the Australians as this in the media.

Unfortunately they just can’t bring themselves to question Bazball, Stokes or McCallum.

They are more delusional than ever.
It's a cult, that's why.

England won the 2013 series 3-0. Even if both drawn matches had been won by Australia, we still would have lost the series, and England would have retained.

If you are talking about English fans being equally crazy nuffies prematurely celebrating a potential drawn series just like you are all doing now, sure, that was equally stupid.

But you can't claim they retained the ashes due to rain because, no, they would have retained without that rain anyway.

did you even watch the 2013 ashes?

English fans were carrying on like idiots after they drew the 3rd match which meant they kept the urn.

Remove this Banner Ad

4th Ashes Test England v Australia July 19-23 1930hrs @ Old Trafford

Back