4th Ashes Test England v Australia July 19-23 1930hrs @ Old Trafford

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Start play at 9:30am or 10:00am to reduce risk of bad light impacting play.

Have a reserve day, like they used to decades ago.

Those are two very simple solutions to mitigate the impact of 95% of weather interruptions.

Near on two days of rain is not common and not something that needs to be catered for.
There has never been a 'reserve day' in Test Cricket. There were 'rest Days'. They generally didn't play on Sundays...

In hindsight, I reckon Marnus was almost a certainty to get a 100 in the 2nd dig - he was as annoyed/upset as anyone ive seen about getting out after doing all the hard work in the 1st inning that he was prepared to do anything to get that 100. It was a hell of an inning and credit to Marsh as well, pulled his head in and batted for time.

Incredible. How does this test prove they're the better side? FFS we took 8 batters and 3 genuine bowlers in to ensure we could get the draw. We played to the forecast and succeeded. If it was 2-1 England and we knew we'd need 20 wickets inside 3 days we wouldn't have played that team.

How many overs after lunch/rain delay did England take with Bairstow and Anderson batting? That probably was key. Australia were absolutely spent and demoralised. Easily had a bowl then

Was only 8, felt like more though because we were trying to slow the game down and the ball was going everywhere. And fully agree, under the old adage of 'do what the opposition least want you to do' we wouldn't have wanted to go in and bat then.

With the benefit of hindsight the time to declare was when Brook got out. Once they committed to batting on it was to get Bairstow his ton to gee him up and get the crowd going so they cost themselves about 90 minutes for the benefit of runs that never became a factor and Bairstow didn't get the ton anyway.

Retention of the Ashes would've been the priority, especially when you're away.
After that would be the series.

Surely you can see that retaining the ashes is worthy of celebration, regardless of how it's been achieved.

Surely I don't. The objective is to win a test series, not to draw one.

Just because there is widespread idiocy from people who couldn't give a sh*t about 'retaining' any other trophy have been conditioned to think it has meaning for some reason, doesn't mean everyone has to apply the same arbitrary and inconsistent logic to it.

A draw is better than a loss. And that can be a minor consolation after a series. But you certainly don't celebrate a guaranteed one while still chasing the win.

We still talk about Hussein winning the toss and bowling at the Gabba more than 20 years later and about Punter doing the same at Edgbaston.

For all the talk about Stokes being a transformational leader and captain he's now made 2 decisions that are on that level in the space of 2 and a half weeks.

Was only 8, felt like more though because we were trying to slow the game down and the ball was going everywhere. And fully agree, under the old adage of 'do what the opposition least want you to do' we wouldn't have wanted to go in and bat then.

With the benefit of hindsight the time to declare was when Brook got out. Once they committed to batting on it was to get Bairstow his ton to gee him up and get the crowd going so they cost themselves about 90 minutes for the benefit of runs that never became a factor and Bairstow didn't get the ton anyway.

i dont know if 150 odd was a large enough lead, australias batting line up was stacked and pretty much all of them atleast made a start all it would require was someone to go on (in this case it was labs) and suddenly england would not only need to bowl us out, but also bat again probably on a rain affected day.

really england squandered their chance to win when they didnt roll through labs and marsh, their only chance of winning was to bowl australia out in a session, they failed to do that.

Just because there is widespread idiocy from people who couldn't give a sh*t about 'retaining' any other trophy have been conditioned to think it has meaning for some reason, doesn't mean everyone has to apply the same arbitrary and inconsistent logic to it.

A draw is better than a loss. And that can be a minor consolation after a series. But you certainly don't celebrate a guaranteed one while still chasing the win.
The over the top celebrations after retaining was the mistake they made in 2019...You would think they'd be desperate to get an outright win & nothing less this time around.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have I slipped into a parallel dimension where winning test series away from home has suddenly become easier? Obviously a won series is better than a drawn one but an away series where we have been in every test (except for this test where a draw was always pretty likely). Even drawing an away series is hard, therefore people are happy when we achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Broad not walking in that Ashes was disgrace
I honestly didn't have a problem with it. It's the umpires job to call something out and the ICC to have sufficient technology to overturn bad calls. Australians have long had a history of not walking so what's good for the goose was good for the gander.

However, for him to pontificate about the 'spirit of cricket' to decry another dismissal that was within the rules (Bairstow) then that's just nothing short of hypocritical and I find it difficult to take his opinion seriously.

League?

League is only played in a few regional areas by meatheads and people who couldn’t get into private school.

Kinda like Australia really.

If it was ‘a bit like Australia’ rugby league would be easily the second biggest domestic sport on a $2 billion broadcast deal while rugby union is broadcast on Stan.

I'm of the opinion, once a decision has been made, take the umpire's call out of it.
If the ball is hitting you're out, end of.

I know people bang on about the accuracy of ball tracking etc but I still think it's the best way to go.
Getting 2 decisions on one ball because of the umpires call doesn't work for me.

I know others don't agree.

With you totally, once there is a review the umpires decisions needs to be ignored and then that review is asking for a technology decision no matter what the accuracy is. Soft calls don't get the right call they get a call that agrees with an umpire. Its just terrible.

i dont know if 150 odd was a large enough lead, australias batting line up was stacked and pretty much all of them atleast made a start all it would require was someone to go on (in this case it was labs) and suddenly england would not only need to bowl us out, but also bat again probably on a rain affected day.

really england squandered their chance to win when they didnt roll through labs and marsh, their only chance of winning was to bowl australia out in a session, they failed to do that.

Think you always err on the side of more time than more runs in a situation like that, even if it means you have to go back in and get 50 or 60 in very quick time.

And that's any situation where you are chasing a result and needing to bowl a side out quickly, let alone with weather around.

We are, but it was dying a slow death anyway.
The day my old uni league club went past the rugby club for player numbers was telling
Let's face it, any sport that New Zealand can be world champion at probably isn't worth taking that seriously.

For a mob that claimed bazball was more about entertainment and not about winning or results …. They sure are whinging about this result ….listening to them all you’d think Australia hasn’t won a single test ….. it will be interesting to see how Bazball goes on Aussie pitches and grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

4th Ashes Test England v Australia July 19-23 1930hrs @ Old Trafford

Back