5 best wins and 5 worst losses by your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wins:
1) 2004 Grand Final vs Brisbane
2) 2004 Preliminary Final vs St Kilda
3) Round 19, 2013 vs Adelaide
4) 2014 Semi Final vs Fremantle
5) Round 8, 2012 vs North Melbourne

Losses:
1) 2007 Grand Final
2) Round 5, 2011 vs Gold Coast
3) Round 20, 2011 vs Collingwood
4) Round 21, 2011 vs Hawthorn
5) 2003 Qualifying Final vs Sydney

Didn't put the loss to GWS in 2012 because all the necessary changes that helped us turn around so quickly came from the result of that game.

Wins:

1. 2000 QF vs North. Possibly the most flawless game I've seen us play. Complete and utter destruction of the reigning premier.

2. Round 3, 2013 vs Fremantle. The media were going after Hird that entire week, and to top it off, Freo were strangling us in that first half (their pressure was as insane as it was in their prelim against Sydney). We then come back and win, somehow holding on after a Freo player (Mundy?) hit the post with a few seconds left.

3. Round 14, 2013 vs West Coast. We played like complete shit, but the emotion after the Jobe-AOD fiasco and the comeback was amazing. Also remember Carlisle pulling some goal out of his arse on the boundary line.

4. Round 11, 2007 vs West Coast. A week after going to Sydney and winning by a point, we comeback from 6 goals down to beat the Eagles. Fletcher belted the ball out of bounds with about 5 seconds left to hold off a last ditch Eagles push.

5. Round 19, 2006 vs Collingwood. Horrible year, but we ruined Collingwood's top 4 chances. Was a scrappy affair, and I thought Courtney Johns was going to become a superstar after this one :oops:

Honourable mention to the round 21, 2013 game against Carlton (Hird's last official premiership season game as coach).

Losses:

1. 1999 Preliminary final. No words..

2. Round 10, 2012 vs Melbourne. Idk wtf Dank gave us before this match, but it somehow affected the players ability to execute basic football skills. Horrible night.

3. Round 14, 2010 vs Adelaide. The game I lost faith in Knights. We were getting belted, and the camera pans to Knights laughing in the coaching box. Downright pathetic performance.

4. Round 16, 2010 vs West Coast. Lol

5. Round 5, 2014 vs St. Kilda. Rumours going around before this game that players were advised of impending show cause notices. Wasn't helped with Nick Riewoldt deciding to activate god mode and burning all of our players.

Best.

1. 2008 GF v Geelong (I don't think it'll probably get better for me then this...in fact when I get a chance I'd love to read the match day thread again)
2. 2014 GF v Sydney (flawless game)
3. 2013 PF v Geelong (probably the 'real' GF for this season if there is such a thing)
4. 2013 GF v Fremantle (not too many highlights in the game but like the 2013 PF the stakes in this game were enormous)
5. 2007 EF v Adelaide (after 6 years in the wilderness the sheer jubilation of winning that game was incredible...it was really the coming of age of Lance Franklin as a footballer really)

Worst.

1. 2001 PF v Essendon (not so much for the game but what was to come in 2002-2004...a slow decline into complete and utter irrelevance)
2. 2001 / 2002 Rd 10 and 2 v Brisbane Lions (successive 87pt and 102pt beltings...whilst we were supposed to be premiership challengers)
3. 2004 Rd 16 v Port Adelaide (we were belted and there was barely 10k at the game...a complete and utter rubbish display really)
4. 2012 GF v Sydney (probably should rank this higher but it was one of the best games I've ever watched...my pick as the best GF in the modern era)
5. 2011 PF v Collingwood (if for no other reason but the stakes of the match. We would have been slaughtered by Geelong in the GF but to lead a PF by 3 goals at 3/4 time and get rolled is a bitter pill to swallow)

Best
1. 2010 GF Replay Collingwood Vs St.Kilda
A great day.

2. 2010 Prelim. Collingwood Vs Geelong.
Best Crowd/Atmosphere. I knew we would win the GF after that even though we drew next week.

3. 1990 GF Collingwood Vs Essendon
A treasured VHS video in my house for many years. I was only 4yrs old in '90, so i watched this alot. Can almost recite the first half commentary.

4. 2002 Prelim Collingwood vs Adelaide
My first Live final that i ever went to and was also my birthday. Awesome crowd probably as good as 2010 prelim.

5. 1994 Collingwood Vs Carlton
First taste of the big rivalry when the old man took me to see this game. Daics did his lap of honor that game and micky mcguane
kicked the best goal i have ever seen.

Worst
1. 2002 GF Coll vs Bris
2. 2011 GF Coll Vs Gell
3. 2003 GF Coll Vs Bris
4. 2007 Prelim Coll Vs Gell
5. 1995 Coll Vs Rich

Nothing needs to be said about those games. They were all terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

5 best wins and 5 worst losses by your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back