5th ODI: South Africa vs Australia @ Johannesburg, Sunday 12th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
eddiesmith said:
He ********ed up earlier, cricket is very much a mental game, Lewis confidence was completely shot, and Hackens dropped catch then getting spanked by Gibbs the following over didnt help. He made a mistake bringing him back, but he never should have bowled 7 overs with the field up in the first place

Everyone has catches dropped off them. Go back to your mark and do it again. A bowler that drops his head isnt worth a pinch of crap, and Im definitely not saying Lewis did. Ponting gave him every chance to do what he does best. It didnt work. So what. Im sure Lewis was quite happy to bowl when asked by his captain.

What you must understand Ed is if Lewis bowls best at the death and you believe he shouldnt have been bowling then maybe he is not up to it.

skipper kelly said:
Everyone has catches dropped off them. Go back to your mark and do it again. A bowler that drops his head isnt worth a pinch of crap, and Im definitely not saying Lewis did. Ponting gave him every chance to do what he does best. It didnt work. So what. Im sure Lewis was quite happy to bowl when asked by his captain.

What you must understand Ed is if Lewis bowls best at the death and you believe he shouldnt have been bowling then maybe he is not up to it.
No, he shouldnt have been bowling earlier

Anyone would tell you he should start bowling after the 25th over or around there, instead he started in about the 8th over, bowled through the 1st powerplay, then was taken off, brought back on for the 2nd powerplay, it seems Ponting always wants to bowl him when the field is up, he bowls better with the field back, you bowl him too much early and the batsman get on top of him, then he is no use later in the innings

94_Eagles said:
How can the bowling side perform if he keeps No. 1 strike bowler Lee on the boundary while bowling out the most expensive bowler? It's clearly Punters fault.

Well when you select Lewis instead of Hoggy there was always going to be a problem!

Re: Half time odds: Australia 1.01 South Africa 110

davidgoes4wce said:
I would have definetly lumped on Australia for sure, but luckily I was at work.

But I had a friend who told me who put 7k on Aussies at a ridiculous 1.02, crazy. He is crying today :eek:

I trust you have heard about the bloke with Centrebet who had $20,000 to
$200 on Aust at half time at $1.01....!!!

Absolute priveledge to watch this match.

My local stayed open till 3am on Monday morning just so we could watch it!! Great stuff.

Please Brett Lee.... bowl a bouncer or something!!!

eddiesmith said:
Why bowl your most expensive bowler out? And even if he thought he could come back, surely after the 1st or even 2nd over of the final spell he should have realised he was wrong
I'd go further then that. When all bowlers except Bracken were copping a pasting, why not throw the ball to Marytn or even Ponting himself for an over or two each somewhere between the 20th and 35-40 over mark?

At worst they'll get caned like the more regular bowlers, BUT at least he'd have had more flexibility in the last ten to choose amongst the regular bowlers, without having to bowl out one or more that's getting hit particularly badly.
And at best, the change either slows the scoring down OR the South African's don't respect the bowlers and they get an unexpected wicket.

Keeping on doing what's failed is poor captaincy.

94_Eagles said:
How can the bowling side perform if he keeps No. 1 strike bowler Lee on the boundary while bowling out the most expensive bowler? It's clearly Punters fault.

Your delusional.

First of all Ponting makes one of the greatest one-day tons in history, then his bowlers play like f****** j grade hacks, and you blame Ponting for the loss?

Lewis was in the side primarily on the basis of his supposed nous 'at the death'. That's his forte.....apparently

I've heard the argument in the past 24 hours that 'poor' Mick was thrown to the wolves in just his 7th game, that he's only a rookie, and that he looked mentally spent etc etc.

This line just doesn't hold water IMHO. If Mick Lewis was 22 and represented the future of the Australian bolwing attack then fair enough. If he'd copped a pasting then maybe the captain would shield him from a drubbing that might set his progress back years.

But sorry, even as the proud Victorian as I am, Mick Lewis does not fit that category. He's in the side as he's supposed to be a seasoned pro, and at 31, a hardened mentally tough character.

If he's mentally spent following this mauling then it suggests he wasn't up to it in the first place. He wont be the first or the last cricketer to be tried at the top level and found wanting, even if he has been a tirlfe unlucky.

If 30/31 year olds have to be molly coddled into the international arena, then the selectors may as well just bite the bullet, accept mediocre results for a few years, and rebuild with youth.

Perhaps Ponting could have shuffled the bolwers and shielded Lewis, but at least now we know a year out from the the World Cup - he's not quite up to it.

Now let's hope he now takes ten for the Penguins, and bowls his state side to a famous victory.

We win.

Thank you Australia, thank you Smith baggers, thank you everyone.

Smith was right, Australia are chokers :)

F/D said:
"Lewis needs to be taken out for Hogg"

Um...he took 2 wickets and conceded like 38 runs :)

Too many mistakes from Gunnar.
So was it a mistake when I suggested Hogg be included at the expense of Lewis?

Or was this just another example of you prematurely claiming vindication?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
So was it a mistake when I suggested Hogg be included at the expense of Lewis?

Or was this just another example of you prematurely claiming vindication?
You get my PM?

Solve it and deal with your issues, I am not a doctor.

F/D said:
You get my PM?

Solve it and deal with your issues, I am not a doctor.
In the very first post in this thread, I said that Hogg should play instead of Lewis.

You thought that was a real joke, didn't you?

You pointed to Lewis' last match and said it was a ridiculous idea to leave him out. I was such a fool for making that suggestion, wasn't I?

Who was vindicated on that one?

Gunnar Longshanks said:
In the very first post in this thread, I said that Hogg should play instead of Lewis.

You thought that was a real joke, didn't you?

You pointed to Lewis' last match and said it was a ridiculous idea to leave him out. I was such a fool for making that suggestion, wasn't I?

Who was vindicated on that one?
I said that taking Lewis out after a good performance was not a good idea. Any bowler who gets 2/35 in a ODI deserves another shot. Yes, you were the fool. And frankly...I dont care really we won and you lost.

Katich :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F/D said:
I said that taking Lewis out after a good performance was not a good idea. Any bowler who gets 2/35 in a ODI deserves another shot. Yes, you were the fool.
Prior to Lewis returning the most expensive figures in the history of ODI cricket, I suggested he be left out.

But you thought that was a ridiculous idea, and mocked me for suggesting it.

How can you claim any kind of vindication from this scenario?

You were wrong. I was right.

To claim otherwise is laughable.

Your denial is only deepening the satisfaction I'm gleaning from this.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Prior to Lewis returning the most expensive figures in the history of ODI cricket, I suggested he be left out.

But you thought that was a ridiculous idea, and mocked me for suggesting it.

How can you claim any kind of vindication from this scenario?

You were wrong. I was right.

To claim otherwise is laughable.

Your denial is only deepening the satisfaction I'm gleaning from this.
Jesus Christ Gunnar, you win, you can brag about this, frankly I dont care.

The funny thing is you write a PM to me about it, why? are you that desperate for a win on your behalf?

Speaking for BF cricket board, you own me Gunnar, you completely own me.

YOU WIN

But Australia lost :)

F/D said:
Speaking for BF cricket board, you own me Gunnar, you completely own me.

YOU WIN
I knew that already, but it's nice for you to finally admit it.
F/D said:
But Australia lost :)
Thanks Captain Obvious.

The reality is that, at the moment, every ODI series is about the WC.

Until then, these kind of results are pretty insignificant.

I won't be losing too much sleep over a depleted Australian side losing a 5-match series. In fact, I started a thread claiming that a loss might actually a good thing for our WC prospects.

But I realise you don't have a lot to brag about, so I obviously expect you to make the most of this one shining light.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
I knew that already, but it's nice for you to finally admit it.
Thanks Captain Obvious.

The reality is that, at the moment, every ODI series is about the WC.

Until then, these kind of results are pretty insignificant.

I won't be losing too much sleep over a depleted Australian side losing a 5-match series. In fact, I started a thread claiming that a loss might actually a good thing for our WC prospects.

But I realise you don't have a lot to brag about, so I obviously expect you to make the most of this one shining light.
Wanna bet Ponting wants to win this series V South Africa as much as any other team bar England?

Ponting hates Smith with a passion and vice versa, to call it nothing is BS.

F/D said:
Wanna bet Ponting wants to win this series V South Africa as much as any other team bar England?
The Test series is important, because it's the last real hit-out we'll get before the Ashes.

12 months out from the WC, all ODI cricket is about that tournament.

F/D said:
Ponting hates Smith with a passion and vice versa, to call it nothing is BS.
How do you know that?

Besides, it doesn't really matter what the two captains think of each other. It's about where the teams are at, and how they're developing heading towards the WC.

If Ponting and Stephen Fleming hated each other, Australia vs NZ wouldn't automatically become a massive seres. The relationship between Ponting and Smith doesn't make this series any more meaningful.

This 5-match series didn't count for much. But you don't get many opportunities to brag about your team, so I expect you to make the most of it.

Is it just me or have Australian been pathetic at defending huge scroes lately, we lost to NZ to when they chased down a huge total, or did we just win, anyway our bowling is a major concern and hoopefully leiws, clark etc never play for aus again and we see the likes of tait, cullen, dizzy and others who actually warrant selection given a go, even kaspa.

Power21 said:
Is it just me or have Australian been pathetic at defending huge scroes lately, we lost to NZ to when they chased down a huge total, or did we just win, anyway our bowling is a major concern and hoopefully leiws, clark etc never play for aus again and we see the likes of tait, cullen, dizzy and others who actually warrant selection given a go, even kaspa.
Biased much?? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

What havve Dizzy and Cullen done to deserve selection in your mind other than playing for SA?

Really sorry for bringing up an old thread, but read from page 24 when Australias innings was about to close. SO many of you made arses of yourselfs hahahaha. (drumm in particular)

A fantastic read, and an even better game

Gosh Drummond was so emphatic in his predictions. And did the Blues get those extra memberships? The bit about the choking was funny too. But people were right about Lewis predicting his record-breaking figures well before Punter kept throwing him the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back