Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

He was good.
On behalf of the whole bigfooty North board I would like you to start a thread regarding your decision to drop Majak Daw for this week we are all awaiting your precis.

Clearly you were. Lachie was immense
As Scotty W pointed out Lachie had a poor first qtr but worked his way into the game. A couple of nice grabs and spoils stood out. Was solid after quarter time but immense? That's just overstating his performance.

It will be interesting how Scott sets up against the West Coast. The West Coast's tall forwards are a concern. Does Grima come in and Hansen remain back? Is it dangerous to sacrifice a midfielder for this set up considering we will be playing on a big ground like Subiaco?

When Grima is fit Lachie still goes back out for mine.

Beating up on the worst forward line in the comp is hardly conclusive. If he plays next week against West Coke it will give us a better indication of what he can offer down back.

The dogs were very good at hitting leading targets and on several occasions Lachie was able to stay on the arse of his man and get a fist in for a spoil. He was about the only defender to do this all day.

Hansen would be our tallest defender by about 5cm. We really need a decent tall spoiler down there because we give away too many marks inside fifty in my opinion.

People have to remember that Lachy hasn't played in a month or so and came straight back into the seniors. You've got to admit he takes a good mark - just needs to fix some of his offensive play.

The dogs were very good at hitting leading targets and on several occasions Lachie was able to stay on the arse of his man and get a fist in for a spoil. He was about the only defender to do this all day.

Hansen would be our tallest defender by about 5cm. We really need a decent tall spoiler down there because we give away too many marks inside fifty in my opinion.

People have to remember that Lachy hasn't played in a month or so and came straight back into the seniors. You've got to admit he takes a good mark - just needs to fix some of his offensive play.

He took 8 marks in defence chasing his own ball, 3 contested.

That is a good game from a KPD.

Majak takes 8 marks, 2 contested, after getting the ball shunted down his throat all afternoon and he is the messiah.

The double standards of some around here are mindboggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is the best at the club in coming across as the third man and taking the mark. Unfortunately this isn't Goldy's strong suit and I reckon it is extremely valuable (rate McEvoy very highly for this reason). Was also very good at getting the hand in front for the spoil without infringing - other defenders struggle here from time to time. Decision making was a bit iffy at times but thought he was decent at ground level. To be honest he just looks a natural back there.

Very good game from Lachie yesterday.

I think the big question is, is can we fit Hunter S, Narnie and Lachie in the back 6?

Lachie offers plenty of flexibility from a team perspective. It's an interesting quandary for the selection panel.

Looked a lot more comfortable jumping for his marks, backing himself to come third man up and take the grab. He is an infinately better player when he backs his ability. It is why i liked him as a fwd, he backs himself to mark it.

Prior to that too often down back he would be unsure whether to go for a mark or mind his man. And end up in no mans land or not fully commiting.

Majak takes 8 marks, 2 contested, after getting the ball shunted down his throat all afternoon and he is the messiah.

But can Hansen ruck? :stern look

One good game in the backline for Hansen doesn't mean he's going to be consistent down there I think we need to see more of what he could do, personally i'd rather Grima.
And I think we should give McMahon more credit he is a key defender and is at the same level scotty and spud are, even plays better than the two of them at times.

He played well back, as he generally has. Made one major mistake that I remember, in the last quarter so may have been related to injury issues - enough for the guy behind me to start roaring as if Lachie had been stuffing up all night. Some people just can't see the good. I loved the spoils and marks. Dogs forward line might be poor but it was important the balls coming in regularly and beautifully from Murphy and Griffin weren't getting rewarded. They had 45 inside 50s for 22 scoring shots, and that says our defenders did their jobs.

It's tricky, but it still feels as though he is a best 22 quality player and his flexibility to play solid games forward or back is an asset.

If Lachie was playing forward yesterday there is no doubt you would have blamed the delivery or coaches use of him.

Why is it Scott is able to maximise the out put of all the tall forwards bar Lachie - who he specifically instructs to avoid the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Lachlan Hansen - pick 3 '06 - 151 NM games - NM life member - thanks Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back