Past #6: Shannon Grant - Sydney '95-'97 - traded to NM for W. Schwass - 243 games for NM (301 overall)

Was shagga unlucky to miss out on AAS.

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Carey_is_King:
Agree about Grant,and Makepeace. Jones looks good, but I will wait to see him on a dry day. I think Smith was stiff to be omitted, by the way.

I personallly think Dylan Smith was BOG in the VFL match, he went into all the hard ball gets despite the shocking conditions. Expect to see him back in the seniors next week (if they can find a spot)!

Originally posted by Cup_Half_Full:
good to see Cochrane and Makepeace finding a niche in the side. I think both of them are here to stay.

I figured it was going to be a long time before people started accepting these two as part of the permanent squad despite the fact they have both had regular inclusion for a while now. Hopefully that mindset is starting to turn around. Before the start of the game people seated around me were asking eachother, "Who is that wearing 45? Is that Young Corey Jones?"

Thankfully they learnt to distinguish both before the end of the game.

I won't apologise for calling Cochrane a waste of space for those first four years on the list.
It does look like he has turned the corner a little, and found himself a role, which is great for him and for the team. He has performed well this season and I will get off his back, but still, it shouldn't have taken this long to produce the goods. 1999-2000 were especially disappointing for a 21-22 year old player.

As for Cochrane, he has done some great tagging jobs but he does still need to get the footy.

Not many sides win flags with players who shadow an opposition player without getting too much of it themselves.

We can only hope that this side of his game develops, because he certainly is at this particular stage doing a great shut down job on some handy players.

But he does have to start getting the footy as well, because this is one area that has been letting us down this year - quantity of possession.

As for Makepeacce, the jury is still out but he is beginning to llok at home in defence which may be handy as it releases Pickett from playing on the dangerous small forwards that invariably take him apart.

Cochrane has played his best footy to date this year. He was pretty ordinary when selected last year. Makepeace had a good, first year and appears to have stepped up again although it's too early to know if he can do this regularly. Neither are world beaters but look like being of more value on our list than last year.

Originally posted by kymhodgemansmo:
As for Cochrane, he has done some great tagging jobs but he does still need to get the footy.

We can only hope that this side of his game develops, because he certainly is at this particular stage doing a great shut down job on some handy players.

But he does have to start getting the footy as well, because this is one area that has been letting us down this year - quantity of possession.

Don't forget, one of the current team started his career as a tagger. He'd never get many possessions, but then again, neither did his opponent. Gradually, he started getting the pill as well and did so well with the tagging/getting the ball dual role that the opposition had to tag this player. His name? Anthony Stevens.

I beg to differ with you on that one Shinners.

I remember Stevos first game against Collingwood in 1991 or 1989, I can't quite remember.

He was fantastic on the wing and won a hell of a lot of the footy in a surprise victory out at Waverley.

Stevo did start as a tagger, but he was not the type who would tag and get five touches, he would still get in the teens and since 1993 he has been our most prolific kick winner while still carrying out plenty of tagging roles.

I respect your optimism though, but I can't see Cachrane scaling the heights of a Stevens and the question mark over his ball winning ability remains.

From Stevo's first game, he has always shown that he knew how to win it.

Fair enough KHM,

I think one problem for Cochrane is that he's been at the club since he was 16. So now he's in his 5th or 6th year at Arden Street and there's probably more pressure on him to deliver as he's held a place on the list for so long. Maybe our attitude could have been different if he got drafted at 18 or 19.

Still, the key point is that while he was in the team late last year, there was still plenty of skeptisism about whether he really was good enough. In the last two weeks, he's held two pretty handy players in Schwass and Riccardi. Two good games don't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things (personally I don't think we really see the true ability of players until they get 40 to 60 games under their belt), but at least we know there is some ability there.

Cochrane has been fantastic this year, Denis has shown a lot of faith in him, and I know we are only 4 rounds in, but if he continues in his current form, he will get a game every week.

When we played Brisbane and Swans he got just as many possessions as Lappin and Schwatta (even though they were minimal). If he gets taken to the ball enough times, his possession rate will pick up. Should be interesting who he takes this week, I would expect putting him on either Riccuto or McLeod would be a good learning experience for him.

Well his work in the AFL Shop catalogue is outstanding.....quite the spunk, shame they put him on the 3rd last page. If they put those shiny blue eyes on the cover, then they could have sold the catalogue's instead of having to give them away!

----------------------------

Beer- helping ugly people have sex, since 1862

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cochrane is just not up to it I am sorry.

Two taging jobs do not a fotballer make.

He managed to singlehandedly cost the side eight goals las week.

First his awful miss from 15 metres out in the third quarter, only to see Richmond run the ball straight back over his head to deliver a goal to CHaffey.

Then his tremendous delivery to the forward line when he ignored Sav when he was 30 metres in the clear only to pick out a nest of Tigers at the hotspot in the third term, who promptly rebounded for a Rogers goal.

Then we had his awful attempt at goal early in the last quarter when he simply stopped and awiated to get tackled when he almost could have strolled into goal only to centre it to five Tigers before they whisked it away for another goal.

And then that wonderful clanger where under no pressure at all he managed to kick the ball out on the full only to see Richardson pull ff another one of those bullshit goals he is so renowned for.

The guy is not a posession gatherer and we will never win a flag with him in our side.

It may be harsh, but he simply is not up to playing effectively at the elite level.

It is interesting that David King said during his chat on AFL.com that he thought Pratt, Harris and Petrie were the best young guys. Didn't mention Smith. Read the transcript and see what you think.

Originally posted by Shinboners

And similarly, an absolutely dirty game does not unmake a footballer either.

Shinners, it's not just one game, it's one in a series. I agree with KHM, he is simply not good enough. (Along with Makepeace, & Rawlings)

Check out this nice little write-up from the AFL site:

PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Shannon Grant - Kangaroos

IT’S a tactic that can do wonders or go horribly wrong, but Kangaroos’ coach Denis Pagan obviously knew he was on the right track when he dropped Shannon Grant from the team against Richmond in round six.

Because on the weekend Grant hit back with his best game of the year and arguably one his finest performances of his career.

The 1999 Norm Smith Medallist collected 39 disposals in the Kangaroos 49-point win over St Kilda at Manuka Oval in Canberra.

Grant was at his devastating best, particularly in the third quarter when he collected 16 possessions (six kicks and ten handballs), while his 11 clearances for the match were pivotal in the win.

His efforts helped the Kangaroos record their second successive win for the year and the third for the season. It also enabled the Roos to put their season back on track after winning just one match from the first six rounds.

It was a fine comeback by Grant, who less than a month a go, was sent back to play in the VFL with the Murray Kangaroos. It was also the first time he was dropped from the Kangaroos line-up. But he made sure that his appearance for Murray was a one-off by collecting 28 disposals against the Coburg Tigers.

Before he was dropped in round six, Grant averaged 12 kicks, four marks and six handballs a match, while he had four goals from five rounds. But on his return to the side, Grant has notched up a total of 56 disposals, 13 marks and 23 handballs, while he has kicked six goals in two games – including 3.5 against St Kilda.

Interestingly, Grant’s teammate Corey McKernan also hit back with four goals on the weekend after spending the previous week in the VFL.

Despite his recent axing from the side, Grant remains an integral part of the Kangaroos line-up and is one of the most important players at Arden Street.

2001 Profile

Had plenty of the ball again in 2000, but lacked the penetration of the previous season when he won the Norm Smith Medal and was third in the club best and fairest. Not in the top eight last year and his less than inspirational play mirrored the form of many of his teammates. Played every game, however, and has missed only one match in three seasons with the Roos. Played with Sydney against the Roos in the 1996 Grand Final before being swapped for Wayne Schwass.

Player honors: Norm Smith Medal 1999; Norwich Union AFL Rising Star nominee 1996; premiership side 1999; pre-season premiership side 1998.

Brownlow Medal: 2000 votes (4); career votes (23).

Previous AFL club: Sydney (1995-97: 58 games, 38 goals).

He also got a pretty big write up in today's HS - apparently he scored more points in whatever system they use than any other player this season (from any club):D

I dont know if I have said this in here before but here goes anyway. I have always thought that Shannon Grant would be a great great player, if only he would put his mind to it. I think that he and Belly held each other up when they played together (well not held each other up but depended on each other), and this year Shannon was just a little lost at the start of the season. Last year, the year before he used to frustrate the hell out of me, as you could see that there was more to him than he gave. If ever he got close enough to me I would let him know. He always looked like he didnt want to get hurt (and he used to be a sook when he did), now all of a sudden we can see just what he has to offer. Providing he doesnt do a Shane Crawford on us, he should just get better and better. I think Jess Sinclair can do the same. His biggest worry is getting injured, if he can get through a season injury free then he will regain his confidence and hopefully go on from there. Just wanted to say that as I really like Shannon and I want to see him do well, especially with the Kangas.

How much more can this guy do.? It is like he is playing the 99 Grand Final each week. He doesnt mind getting the jumper dirty or the hair messed up these days. I think he will give the B&F a shake if he keeps it up for the rest of the year.

What has impressed me most about Shannon this year is his hardness at the ball. I thought his chase and hip and shoulder on Rowan Smith during the second qtr which allowed Corey to kick a goal on the run was sensational and the turning point of the game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Shannon Grant - Sydney '95-'97 - traded to NM for W. Schwass - 243 games for NM (301 overall)

Back