Past #6: Shannon Grant - Sydney '95-'97 - traded to NM for W. Schwass - 243 games for NM (301 overall)

Was shagga unlucky to miss out on AAS.

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He set up a number of goals for others by putting his body in. I didn't think he had it in him to play such a role but he is proving to a lot of people (me included) that he is as hard as anyone.

Keep it up Shags.

Just a question for you guys that get to all the Melbourne games, since Grant's run of good form recently, has he been targetted by opposition teams for a bit more attention than he usually gets?

It seemed to me at the game that everytime there was a bit of niggle off the ball, Shannon was on the receiving end of it. There were 3 or 4 instances of it during the day, plus the high sheperd that a Port player laid on him which cost them a goal just when they were making a run at us early in the 3rd quarter. Is it something other teams have been doing as well, recognizing his good form and targetting him a bit more?

I think it's a combination of two things. Firstly, Grant has been getting into the packs and winning the contested ball, so naturally there will be some niggling going on. Secondly, the opposition has probably targeted him as he's been one of our best players in the last six weeks. Good players will always cop close attention and I'm pretty sure that Grant will take it as a compliment.

There is no doubt that our midfielders will have a couple of the key Melbourne midfielders in their sights for some special attention this Sunday.

While Shagga has showed vigour and aggression this year, perhaps his opponents are not yet convinced that he is over his "soft" tag, and thus try to single him out with the intention of winning some sort of mental battle.

It's not working. :D

SEASON: Was in big trouble early but since returning from the MK's, has been fantastic. A Syd may be a round the corner. Played his first consistent year around the middle and proved he could be anything.
FUTURE: At the end of last year I wasn't sure where Shannon should play. He seemed to be a glorified half forward flanker. But due to injuries, he was able to move into the centre and showed us all what he is capable of. Expect him to share midfield duties next year, rotating with an extended midfield lineup.
POSITION: Ruck rover/half forward

agree - Shannon's been fantastic and consistent after early difficulties - should be an untouchable in trading as a young, skilled midfielder who can also be thrown to either end of the ground. Great prospects for next year and a few years after that.

Top season for Shagga

Good comeback from being dropped and showed a lot of leadership qualities

Agreed, is now one of the leagues top midfielders and wil probably take out the Syd Barker

Cheers

Gonzo

Like most, I was surprised that he was dropped in the first place! It has been a great year for Shannon, and I would expect him to build upon it for next year. However, I would prefer to see him kick more goals as a midfielder.

Has been very good this year, and is likely to win our Best and Fairest. I rate his season up there with his 1999 season, and although not as flashy as he was back then, he has been ultra-consistent since his demotion to the VFL early in the season.

A key player, and was missed in the Rd 22 game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, not really. I mean, who would you remove from the side to slot Grant in?

Even though there are always too many on-ballers selected, each one that was named had at least as good a season as Grant, if not better.

The seasons of Voss, McLeod, Cousins, Ratten, S.Black, Buckley, Akermanis, N.Lappin, Koutoufides, Goodwin, Francou, Camporeale, J.Johnson, etc all speak for themselves, and some of those missed out too.

I really don't think any of our guys deserved All Australian selection this year, although Stevens would have gone close had he not been injured.

Putting out the feelers for 2002 already, EF? Remember when the Parrots appoint you, you need an assistant coach, and I DID win the fantasy footy thing... ;)

BTW, I'm pretty sure Shannon is secured to the Roos for another year or two at least.

Originally posted by Darky
Putting out the feelers for 2002 already, EF? Remember when the Parrots appoint you, you need an assistant coach, and I DID win the fantasy footy thing... ;)

BTW, I'm pretty sure Shannon is secured to the Roos for another year or two at least.

Darky, the reason EF is putting the feelers out, is because on Friday, Dennis Commeti reported that Shagga was in Perth with his manager Ron Joseph, but Shannon had reportedly said "it was only to visit his close mate Belly"
The response from Dennis was "why would you take your manager on a personal visit?"

Just kick starting the rumour mill again - I hope!

Originally posted by Shermanator
The response from Dennis was "why would you take your manager on a personal visit?"

hey if they thought Bell cost am heaps... Shannon would be worth Black... Pavlich or Brown... and their first two tradable picks...

Originally posted by Shermanator

Darky, the reason EF is putting the feelers out, is because on Friday, Dennis Commeti reported that Shagga was in Perth with his manager Ron Joseph, but Shannon had reportedly said "it was only to visit his close mate Belly"

Of course, Ron Joseph also went with Shagga up to Canberra in round 22....the media couldn't find an angle with that, could they? :rolleyes:

As for Ron in Perth, he was there with another client, Jeff Farmer, to kick start discussions with Freo or the Eagles.

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
Was going to write agree with all above then I read DarkRider's crap about being soft... he may have been soft in the past... but this year he showed he was no-longer going to be pushed around...

OOh yes, he certainly has become one of the team's "strong men" hasn't he. Don't make me laugh.

Originally posted by DarkRider

OOh yes, he certainly has become one of the team's "strong men" hasn't he. Don't make me laugh.

You don't have to be a Micky Martin or Glen Archer to be tough, DR. I agree with Rooboy (and others), he's certainly shown more 'bottle' this year.

I remember when he was first recruited by Sydney, Ron Barassi had big wraps on him and thought he was going to be something special.

He's been solid since coming to the roos, but hasn't become a member of the AFL's elite (despite winning a norm smith).

Grant's 2001 season in the midfield changed my perception of him and I think he is one season away from becoming one of the premier midfielders in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #6: Shannon Grant - Sydney '95-'97 - traded to NM for W. Schwass - 243 games for NM (301 overall)

Back