6000 new members or Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the armchair membership classify as a member but doesnt give you access to games?

(PS, Aussie Memberships, since they are technically game-based memberships (5 games per year, must be 200km away from Melbourne CBD) count towards the membership total, yes?

I know every type of membership helps the club's coffers but does anyone have definatve answers the questions above please?
We need to be clear on the most effective way to reach the targets we're aiming for.

Great idea Vlad, I,m going to get my nephew one for next season much to the displeasure of his father who is a staunch Essendon supporter but too bad eh.
Hahaa, yep I'm in exactly the same situation. I think I'll get one for both me niece and nephew.
I just wanna make sure that Aussie Roos count towards the membership total :)

Devo... the league ha stated many times in the past that teams that perform and have an attractive brand of football will get preferential draws in regard to Friday Nights... now it is the boards job to demand this continues...

and stop trying to rain on my parade... :D:D we need this to positivity to snowball...

All this positivity is great, but I think it's clouding a bigger issue. The 6000 extra memberships and increased attendences I think is achievable and some of the ideas suggested are great. This plan will stop the Gold Coast wagons from circling short-term, but as long as the AFL continues to push for a second QLD team, and no other team puts it's hand up, we will continue to be under pressure.
What happens in 2009 and beyond?? Not only do we have to increase membership by 6000 next season, but in order to stay competitive with the other Melbourne clubs and remain in Melbourne we will probably have to continue increasing our membership by 1000 each season.

Hahaa, yep I'm in exactly the same situation. I think I'll get one for both me niece and nephew.
I just wanna make sure that Aussie Roos count towards the membership total :)

Armchair memberships don't get counted but do give the Club additional revenue.

Aussie Roos would be counted, as would the GC packages, because they provide admittance to games.

All this positivity is great, but I think it's clouding a bigger issue. The 6000 extra memberships and increased attendences I think is achievable and some of the ideas suggested are great. This plan will stop the Gold Coast wagons from circling short-term, but as long as the AFL continues to push for a second QLD team, and no other team puts it's hand up, we will continue to be under pressure.
What happens in 2009 and beyond?? Not only do we have to increase membership by 6000 next season, but in order to stay competitive with the other Melbourne clubs and remain in Melbourne we will probably have to continue increasing our membership by 1000 each season.

With a breakthrough season, though, we can get into a virtuous cycle - like Hawthorn. (I hesitate to say Bulldogs too, because I'm not sure they've broken the back of their problems yet.)

If we can get an maintain a healthy membership base and attendances, then the actions we take to make extra money don't have the same stench of desperation, members, fans and sponsors (and players, and coaches) are more likely to stay around, and that means the next year is more likely to stay at least level, and so it goes on.

Re: An Ultimatim!

2Mill in the coffers next year

6000 more members in 2008 will keep us in melbourne - JB

(plus more attendance)

Don't get sucked in folks. Not that simplistic - and this smokescreen is akin to 'not believing everything you read'.

Do the maths.

6,000 x members @ $135 = $818,000

Still leaves us $1.2m short

But an extra 6K members next year will send a message. As will winning the ****ing flag.

Don't get sucked in folks. Not that simplistic - and this smokescreen is akin to 'not believing everything you read'.

Do the maths.

6,000 x members @ $135 = $818,000

Still leaves us $1.2m short

But an extra 6K members next year will send a message. As will winning the ****ing flag.

That's why he also said PLUS 5,000 people to every match.

at least we have a number... something we have not had in the past... hard to make something happen if you don't know what you are doing... as for the extra 1000 each year... that should happen if we have a positive attitude to being a successful Melbourne based club...

we are not in the same position as Fitzroy or the South Mebourne... neither of these clubs had 20000+ members...

I also recommend, no make that demand we send in auditors to the AFL to check the real figures. I honestly believe they've been fudging records all year to make life difficult for us.

Exhibit 1 - game vs Geelong @ TD

Attendance 48K+

AFL informed our club that only 6,500 North members attended (according to membership cards swiped on entry). Some directors have taken that figure at face value.

Bollocks.

Conspiracy Therory #1

With the AFL processing membership applications on our behalf, I can only wonder how many haven't been in the final tally.

Exhibit 1 - game vs Geelong @ TD

Attendance 48K+

AFL informed our club that only 6,500 North members attended (according to membership cards swiped on entry). Some directors have taken that figure at face value.

Bollocks.

that has to be bullsh1t there was a good amout of north fans there that day.

As there will be come grand final day.

Go you good things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why he also said PLUS 5,000 people to every match.

I assume the attendance thing has to do with Telstra Dome bonuses also.

Don't we get X amount of dollars or rebate for X amount of attendees? This is why Tas's point of multiple membership holders re-entering utilising all available memberships is vitally important.:thumbsu:

As you can see, I'm a Hawks fan. But, please don't let North head to the GC. I know people sometimes claim you can never have a second team, but North are just that, had a soft spot from the Carey days (I'm not very old so this is my era of football :p) and would hate to see the club forced to relocate to Queensland.

In an effort to help somewhat, I will be buying myself, my brother his girlfriend and their son Kangaroo member ships (along with a hawks one for myself) and will attend every game played in Melbourne.

Hope we can help keep you here. :thumbsu:

That is what we have been waiting for.
It has taken a while but that was very well delivered in a big week on a big show.

Very well done (to JB and the chick who wrote the letter that lit a fire under him)

To be fair, it's the North faithful that should have the fire lit under them , not JB!

As you can see, I'm a Hawks fan. But, please don't let North head to the GC. I know people sometimes claim you can never have a second team, but North are just that, had a soft spot from the Carey days (I'm not very old so this is my era of football :p) and would hate to see the club forced to relocate to Queensland.

In an effort to help somewhat, I will be buying myself, my brother his girlfriend and their son Kangaroo member ships (along with a hawks one for myself) and will attend every game played in Melbourne.

Cheers. Hawthorn have to be an example we can take heart from - our Don Scott moment might be coming a decade later, but so was our most recent golden age, and we can have the same longterm impact if we can convert our90s fans into members and get them to games the way Hawthorn have done with their 80s supporters.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: Top top stuff. Thanks mate.

If all these extra memberships eventuate off the back of a flag as well (or at least a promising finals series) then we will be in top shape.

I need to get to more games though.

I assume the attendance thing has to do with Telstra Dome bonuses also.

Don't we get X amount of dollars or rebate for X amount of attendees? This is why Tas's point of multiple membership holders re-entering utilising all available memberships is vitally important.:thumbsu:

Indeed and since we were only a few k's off that figure this year, I'm sure the 5k per game extra calculation takes that into account.

Do the maths. 6,000 x members @ $135 = $818,000
Still leaves us $1.2m short. But an extra 6K members next year will send a message. As will winning the ****ing flag.

Hi Lidge.
I think the figures are;
6,000 additional members at average $150 = $900,000

Additional 5,000 paying attendances to our home games = 5,000 x 11 x $15 = $825,000 (I've assumed an average price of $15 with adult, concession, junior mix). Its irrelevant as to who they follow.

A flow on benefit would come from the reduction or removal of us not achieving the minimum crowd numbers at some games where it currently costs the club money.

From all the posts it sounds like 6,000 extra members and increase attendance of 5,000 a game is achievable.
I hate to rain on this parade, but as this goes against the AFL commission and their agenda of a second team in QLD within 5-10 years, do you think they might try and 'sabotage' our chances, by reducing the number of home games we play against the big Victorian clubs, making it more difficult for us to acheive the second half of this target?? Perhaps even moving those games to the Gold Coast, as they did for the Carlton game this year to inflat the GC figures and deflate our Victorian attendance figures.
Devo... the league ha stated many times in the past that teams that perform and have an attractive brand of football will get preferential draws in regard to Friday Nights... now it is the boards job to demand this continues...

and stop trying to rain on my parade... :D:D we need this to positivity to snowball...
Yes, but while they might give us some Friday night games, if they are games against Fremantle for example and we play big Vic clubs like Carlton at Carrara, then we're going to find it almost impossible to achieve the increased attendance.

The club needs to bully the AFL for once!

at least we have a number... something we have not had in the past... hard to make something happen if you don't know what you are doing... as for the extra 1000 each year... that should happen if we have a positive attitude to being a successful Melbourne based club...

we are not in the same position as Fitzroy or the South Mebourne... neither of these clubs had 20000+ members...

I agree, we have a target to aim for, but the impression I'm getting from reading some of these posts is we get the 6000 members, increase our average attendance and remaining in Melbourne is guaranteed. And that's not the case. We will always have to fight hard to get those new members, and we'll have to keep fighting hard year after year, like we have done for the last 138 years to remain in Melbourne.

I agree, we have a target to aim for, but the impression I'm getting from reading some of these posts is we get the 6000 members, increase our average attendance and remaining in Melbourne is guaranteed. And that's not the case. We will always have to fight hard to get those new members, and we'll have to keep fighting hard year after year, like we have done for the last 138 years to remain in Melbourne.

why is that not the case??? I do not accept liing from politicians fcuked if I will accept it from a board member... James said 6000 and 5000... I will worry about 2009 after 2008... lets just get the numbers we need for next year...:D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

6000 new members or Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back