Past #7: Adam Simpson - 306 games for NM (95-09; 5th AT) - NM captain (04-08) - current WCE head coach

who is better boomer or simmo and who would win the brownlow

• boomer

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • simmo

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo has always seemed to be our 3rd or 4th best midfielder, guess he might slip under the radar for most. But he does his job most of the time, at least he doesnt piss on cop shop windows or take drugs.

The kid is a gun.

Under-Rated.

His a Gun.

He is neither under rated nor over rated.:)
I think the majority rate him just about right.

Courageous. Hard at it. Doesn't take a backward step. Good mark. Reads the play well. Knows how to find the ball. Has performed consistently well for most of his career.

His downside is he isn't the best kick. Not a great pass.
Having said that he has had plenty of games where his disposal wasn't an issue.

Overall he is a quality player and is rated accordingly.:cool:

Courageous. Hard at it. Doesn't take a backward step. Good mark. Reads the play well. Knows how to find the ball. Has performed consistently well for most of his career.

There's your answer

Pretty well sums it up although I think his kicking has noticably deteriorated in the past couple of years. His passes in particular seem to go higher and wobble more than they used to.

However, one area where he is consistently under-rated is as a 3rd man up at stoppages. A lot of our set plays have been based around this and he is one of the best in the competition in this role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

over-rated? I've never heard anyone rate him...

Go to 'Search This Forum'....type in keyword "Simpson"....and prepare to be amazed, Magical Mystery Tour-style.

I'll admit, a few of the thread titles aren't too promising but, believe me, there's some furious Simmo rating going on inside of those suckers.

Or am I simply missing your finely-honed (and occasionally non-existent) use of sarcasm again ?

Gun.

Super courageous, great leap. Reads the play exquisitely and uses footy smarts to compensate for erratic disposal and a lack of pace.

Interestingly his disposal is better from traffic than when he has time and space. Maybe a reflection of his Pagan indoctrination or maybe the reason he was part of that.

Most importantly, strong character and leader who has helped the team to maintain its competitiveness between eras.

Don't underestimate him - people like Adam Simpson are the reason we are not Richmond.

Don't underestimate him - people like Adam Simpson are the reason we are not Richmond.

Agree with every word of your post, but I have highlight the best Simpson related line ever.

Simpson is a bit of an enigma to me.

He is probably the most understated captain in the AFL - quiet and unassuming. Great ball getter and statistically very strong. Seems very well rspected as a leader although he doesn't seem to have those qualities publicly - not a dynamic "follow me to war" person. But club folk I speak to are 100% supportive of Simmo and see him as a quality captain and club leader - I bow to their judgement.
However I just cannot overcome his poor disposal. Game after game he lets himself down with poor kicking and handball. it just irks me that your captain can lack those basic skills. I suppose when you have a set against a player for a particular weakness any example of that stands out like knackers on a dog so maybe I just see the bad side and overlook the good.

Simpson is a bit of an enigma to me.

He is probably the most understated captain in the AFL - quiet and unassuming. Great ball getter and statistically very strong. Seems very well rspected as a leader although he doesn't seem to have those qualities publicly - not a dynamic "follow me to war" person. But club folk I speak to are 100% supportive of Simmo and see him as a quality captain and club leader - I bow to their judgement.
However I just cannot overcome his poor disposal. Game after game he lets himself down with poor kicking and handball. it just irks me that your captain can lack those basic skills. I suppose when you have a set against a player for a particular weakness any example of that stands out like knackers on a dog so maybe I just see the bad side and overlook the good.

I agree with this. Simmo has got to be one of the most consistent footballers ever. Rarely has a bad game. Always up there in disposals and work rate. Does spray the odd kick, but if you look at the total number of effective kicks over his career, he would be up there with some pretty elite company.
Great Captain and unbelievable bloke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #7: Adam Simpson - 306 games for NM (95-09; 5th AT) - NM captain (04-08) - current WCE head coach

Back