AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

One person's opinion is not final and certainly correct, but Emma Quayle thought Merrett was worth pick 15 (and that's around where Dodoro said he thought he was gonna go). You can disagree that he was worth that, but it's ridiculous to suggest that we picked him because of his brother rather than his talent.

You can argue about his merits all you want but the player votes from Merrett's TAC cup season gave him the highest votes per game of anyone else on his team, and that included players that were picked in the top 10 of the national draft from memory.

You can argue about his merits all you want but the player votes from Merrett's TAC cup season gave him the highest votes per game of anyone else on his team, and that included players that were picked in the top 10 of the national draft from memory.
One was pick 2

Yeah and? i don't have to rate every player the same way you do.

would be a pretty boring forum if we all had the same opinion.

Don't rate either sorry to bust your bubble , Others do and good on them they are aloud to have a opinion.

It's not so much that I disagree with you. I've seen Merrett play once, and Fantasia not at all.

I'm just saying that anyone who writes any player, be they pick 1 or pick 101, off on draft night is a ****ing moron.

seeing as my daughter is 10 , would make him a pedo - very Poor comment from you who's been around this forum for awhile

clearly in jest, I apologise

If we drafted Zach because his brother plays for us then I would have thought Aaron Heppell would have picked up before Zach, as his brother Dyson is much better than Jackson. :) Just proving your theory wrong.

Zach looks a terrific player to me. Got a lot to work with. On the Draft night thought we could have gone with Templeton with our second pick. Saw him play for the Saints looks like Hepps with little bit more speed. Orazio I guess was what we needed...A small forward.

Red and Black Preview, #27, Zac Merrett

Merrett joins his older brother Jackson at Essendon

Height: 179cms

Weight: 75kgs

Games: 0

Position: Midfield/Half Forward

Fantasy Relevance: No

Look Out For: Fantastic foot skills and composure, Burst of pace, Brotherly love

Brother of Jackson, the younger Merrett has only played one game in the red and black, but even so, there is considerable hype around the former Sandringham Dragon.

Zac is shorter than Jackson, but possesses many of the same qualities as his older brother. Like Jackson, he shows exceptional composure and decision making with ball in hand, but unlike Jackson, he possesses an absolute rocket left foot, and can also kick on his right.

Merrett impressed against the Gold Coast with his tackling and his kicking efficiency, both of which promise to be a feature of his game for years to come.

What to expect in 2014: He has emerged as a bit of a round 1 bolter after his good showing agains the Gold Coast, but despite that, expect him to be nursed through his first AFL season.

Look for Zac to make his senior debut at some stage in 2014, but for him to mainly develop his game at VFL level. Having not taken football that seriously until 2013, this year will probably be focussed on developing Zacโ€™s fitness base and core strength, as well as trying to teach him about zoning and pressing.

I remember when Port picked S Burgoyne and people thought they picked him because they already had Peter at the club, it didn't take long before they actually realized he was a much better player than peter.
I'm thinking the same might happen regarding both Merretts.

I'm adding 1 more certainty(the other two being death and taxes) in life, and that is Zac Merrett is destined to be a great player.

ps. I have no problems eating my hat, or anyone else's if Zac becomes middle of the road.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke is going to be an absolute ripper, so excited to see him making his senior debut which will probably be round 1 or soon after (even if it is as the sub). He just strikes me as a natural ball magnet and already displays great tackling in the forward line which will be pretty nice for a sub option and keep him in the side for a decent number of games.

I agree he will probably be better than his brother even though I like Jackson as well and think they will both be quality players for the EFC.

Myers said during the last match (vs Port) Zach was the best player Essendon picked up in the off season , could be a good chance for R1 with Winderlich going down. most likely sub though

zach_zpsf0f4a31b.gif

So with Kommer apparently battling knee tendonitis can we see Zac playing his role until Nick is fully ready to return?

Will give him some true AFL experience at the start of the season and show him what he has to work towards to cement a more permanent spot.

Lets not overrate him. If Kommer misses, Chappy, Merrett Sr, Dell'Olio, Hardingham all have far more runs on the board up forward, let alone tweaking it a bit and bringing Ashby or Gleeson in down back.

I'm not overrating him, I'm just saying that given his pressure acts in the forward line over these NAB cup games that he was a good option to play Kommer's role while he is absent from the team. Thereby giving him some much valued top level experience to show him what he is working toward and fuel a fire in him to get there permanently.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back