AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets not overrate him. If Kommer misses, Chappy, Merrett Sr, Dell'Olio, Hardingham all have far more runs on the board up forward, let alone tweaking it a bit and bringing Ashby or Gleeson in down back.

Merrett has already shown a lot more than Dell'Olio

Yep, totally agree.

Zac has been the highlight of the NAB games for me, but he's one to keep in the back pocket for a couple of years' time. Maybe the odd sub game later in the year after he's played some full length games in the VFL.

I'm a huge fan of Zac, but I reckon Dell will have a much greater impact in Rd 1.
I've stuck by Dell until now, but i'm losing faith. He looks out of his depth even when he is going at it 100% Z Merrett already looks more comfortable at this level. Wouldn't expect either to play round one unless it is Z Merrett as sub. For all that Colyer also looks like he is struggling, he will be picked ahead of Dell every time.

Think we are too advanced as a team to be gifting games - he'll earn games or play VFL.

I suspect he could play quite a bit. Using last years team as a starting point, Chapman in for Crameri leaving Kommer and Howlett most vulnerable. Howlett looking good so Zac competing with Kommer and Leroy for a spot.

I think he's a big chance....strong( has a little Daniel Kerr about him physically, small but powerful) gutsy ( anyone else notice that mark where he went back with flight against PA - did not flinch) and classy ( weights kicks to advantage, rare in our team). Always in the contest, looks like he's hungry and competitive.

Not sure he'll get the nod first up but predicting he'll be playing regularly by end of year

Think we are too advanced as a team to be gifting games - he'll earn games or play VFL.

I suspect he could play quite a bit. Using last years team as a starting point, Chapman in for Crameri leaving Kommer and Howlett most vulnerable. Howlett looking good so Zac competing with Kommer and Leroy for a spot.

I think he's a big chance....strong( has a little Daniel Kerr about him physically, small but powerful) gutsy ( anyone else notice that mark where he went back with flight against PA - did not flinch) and classy ( weights kicks to advantage, rare in our team). Always in the contest, looks like he's hungry and competitive.

Not sure he'll get the nod first up but predicting he'll be playing regularly by end of year

I think because we are advancing well is just the reason we need to keep youngsters circulating through the seniors. Its what Geelong and Hawks have done for the past 5 years. Lets you develop youth whilst still being on top.

Think it was third, just after he was subbed on. Pretty sure it was actually called out as courageous in coverage.

The footage was poor so it wasn't really worth gifdom but I found it and yeah no fear. Just wants the footy.

Edit: Bugger it. Did it anyway. I like the kid.

zachmark_zps2df77839.gif

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think because we are advancing well is just the reason we need to keep youngsters circulating through the seniors. Its what Geelong and Hawks have done for the past 5 years. Lets you develop youth whilst still being on top.
All for youth but not sure Geelong or Hawthorn have been gifting games.....their drafting and development are exceptionally good and their kids have demanded games.

We're hopefully pushing for top 4 and not far off premiership contention, I want getting a game to be an achievement earned every single time. This creates competition which will either see a kid go past someone into our best 22 or they create pressure that forces a Kommer or Howlett to take their game up a notch to retain their spot - in either the scenario the team is better off.

The footage was poor so it wasn't really worth gifdom but I found it and yeah no fear. Just wants the footy.

Edit: Bugger it. Did it anyway. I like the kid.

zachmark_zps2df77839.gif
In the end there isn't really anything coming the other way but he has no way of knowing that....doesn't hesitate, doesn't flinch - absolutely unconditional.....very good sign.

Also interesting that the guy he stuck in the tackle was Impey - earlier in the coverage on Foxtel they showed Impey's athletic profile and that he tested extremely highly for power...point being he would be a very difficult guy to hold and then take down - he's a strong little unit is Zac.

Ideally, you want Zac to play a full year in the VFL. He plays AFL if he shows he is a class above VFL level.
Why is that ideal? Ideal to me would be that he improves us this year.

I've been clear that there should be no gifting of games, so if he earns it then play him every week. He plays AFL if he deserves selection in our 22 in a given week - being a class above VFL or not is irrelevant IMO.

I subscribe to the " if he's good enough, then he's big/old enough" theory.

Why is that ideal? Ideal to me would be that he improves us this year.

I've been clear that there should be no gifting of games, so if he earns it then play him every week. He plays AFL if he deserves selection in our 22 in a given week - being a class above VFL or not is irrelevant IMO.

I subscribe to the " if he's good enough, then he's big/old enough" theory.

I belong to the school that you play AFL ( unless the team is in a development phase ) when you dominate the VFL.

Also interesting that the guy he stuck in the tackle was Impey - earlier in the coverage on Foxtel they showed Impey's athletic profile and that he tested extremely highly for power...point being he would be a very difficult guy to hold and then take down - he's a strong little unit is Zac.

Power = vertical leap

best thing about that, gets the footy with 2 defenders in his face...just stands there, no quick high kick to nothing, 'I got this', it's very Sam Mitchell.

I belong to the school that you play AFL ( unless the team is in a development phase ) when you dominate the VFL.
What if you don't dominate in VFL but are clearly in the senior best 22? Possible, no?

Why does he need to dominate? Doubt Kommer would dominate VFL and have never heard any suggestion that Jackson Merrett or Dalgleish have either so why hold Zac to a higher standard? On the flip-side Dell is quite dominant at VFL level but struggles at senior level...

Zac is ready to play some senior footy this year - he's strong, hard and skilful, absolutely no reason to hold him back IMO.

What if you don't dominate in VFL but are clearly in the senior best 22? Possible, no?

Why does he need to dominate? Doubt Kommer would dominate VFL and have never heard any suggestion that Jackson Merrett or Dalgleish have either so why hold Zac to a higher standard? On the flip-side Dell is quite dominant at VFL level but struggles at senior level...

Zac is ready to play some senior footy this year - he's strong, hard and skilful, absolutely no reason to hold him back IMO.

And my post says that if he is blitzing it at VFL level he plays AFL. Think some forget that players used to come through the under 19's and reserves, so would often be 19 or 20 before they made their debut, whereas TAC players are only 18.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - 5 time Crichton Medallist! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back