AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Interview with The Age - 20/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, asking umps to blow the whistle quicker to save one or two sling tackles will have a whole stack of unintended consequences, not least of which will be another 20 ball ups per game.

Will we though, and if so, is that a bad thing?

Players are given far more time to dispose of the ball these days. It's pretty quickly clear when a player is unlikely to slip a tackle, why give them more time to not slip the tackle which escalates the situation because the tackler feels like they need to bring the player to ground just in case. If they want to limit the opportunities for dangerous tackles, then calling a ball up and quickly throwing it up is likely going to be better than waiting around for them to either get dumped or still have to do a ball up.

Will we though, and if so, is that a bad thing?

Players are given far more time to dispose of the ball these days. It's pretty quickly clear when a player is unlikely to slip a tackle, why give them more time to not slip the tackle which escalates the situation because the tackler feels like they need to bring the player to ground just in case. If they want to limit the opportunities for dangerous tackles, then calling a ball up and quickly throwing it up is likely going to be better than waiting around for them to either get dumped or still have to do a ball up.

I think with a couple of minor changes to the prior opportunity rule, you could increase holding the ball calls, decrease congestion and tackles, without increasing ball ups. It would definitely decrease the slam tackles.

It would probably decrease ball ups if your paying more free kicks because you wouldn't have the 2-3-4 ball ups in a row in the same area. Also if your paying more holding the ball frees it also makes teams plan around getting the ball out of the congestion, rather than planning around ball ups.

Doesn't really help us tonight at the tribunal though. Think when there's 3 basically same tackles getting done in 1 week they just can't let them all off.

Also don't players when they get tackled, also drop their knees to go to ground to force the ball up if they cant get rid of it?
At the end of close games you see it all the time when teams want to kill time.
Good luck trying to figure out which player caused them to go to ground in those situations

the simpsons GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m now genuinely concerned that Merrett’s ban will be upheld and Adam’s may get off.

The narrative behind Adam’s not being the only one involved in the tackle seems to be spoken about more and more.

I’m now genuinely concerned that Merrett’s ban will be upheld and Adam’s may get off.

The narrative behind Adam’s not being the only one involved in the tackle seems to be spoken about more and more.
You could also say that Adams getting involved in the tackle and throwing him to the ground was also unnecessary given he was already well-held. His actions resulted in the player hitting his head on the ground. He seemed like the crazy dude jumping into the fight when the fight was over.

Merrett says he attempted a normal tackle, but Tom Sparrow's "sidestep" threw Merrett off-balance and he couldn't set his feet. He says he felt he didn't have Sparrow "in any bit of a vulnerable position".

Merrett: I felt him come onto me after I hit the ground.

Last edited:
Legal reps: Ben Ihle (Essendon) & Nick Pane (AFL).
Jurors: Jeff Gleeson (Tribunal chair), Stewart Loewe and Stephen Jurica.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 7: Indefatigable Zach Merrett (c) - Interview with The Age - 20/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back