Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Question is will he ever close the gap between his current fitness level and what’s required when compared with his contempories?
and...will he add the required mass to have the physique of an AFL footballer.

We don't exactly have form when it comes to improving both those things with skinnier types.

I'd be making him run and traing with Darcy Tucker all season. Across his career he has really transformed his body.

Are we seriously questioning whether it's possible for our (just turned) 19yo first year draftee is capable of attaining AFL level fitness? Don't our first year draftees follow a pre season program where they do about 60% of a full pre season load? So he hasn't actually done anywhere near a full pre season yet? The shoulder thing is frustrating but a minor setback in the grand scheme of things.
Let's save our pants wetting for more pants wetting worthy issues

The Duursma fear in this joint is mind boggling. What has he done any different to McKercher this year? He's the one with the "go-home to a new franchise for a million bucks" factor (and I'd find it mad to be panicky about him as well).
Some anxiety issues getting around here... What if, what if, what if

All our young guys seem to want to stay. We've had some miraculous development jobs in the last two seasons.

There is nothing to worry about here, but some people can always find a way.

Some anxiety issues getting around here... What if, what if, what if

All our young guys seem to want to stay. We've had some miraculous development jobs in the last two seasons.

There is nothing to worry about here, but some people can always find a way.
They don't call the trade period the 'silly season' for nothing.

Peeps getting worked up over potential gun players we've got locked in for another 2 years and who will be getting developed by the newly crowned (and potential Clarko Successor) best Development Coach in the whole AFL.

I can't believe the mods haven't updated the thread name to include the fact he's 110% going to do a JHF on us.

It's been said already, but this chicken little skit based on a pre-draft interview, where he gives a stock standard affirming answer, is absurd.

If he does end up leaving I hope he cites this thread as the reason.

We don't exactly have form when it comes to improving both those things with skinnier types.

I'd be making him run and traing with Darcy Tucker all season. Across his career he has really transformed his body.
FWIW - I reckon he'll have a cracking physique when he puts some weight on and gets in the gym.

He's definitely got a frame and he looked bigger to me in the legs and backside towards the end of the year.

I'm quite bullish about Zane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It hadn't occurred to me until I read this post that - at least as far as training standards go - the Darling acquisition wasn't just about helping Maley + our 2024 KPF draftee(s).

I suppose, at least, as far as mentors go, Darling will be a step up from Sleevo.

FWIW - I reckon he'll have a cracking physique when he puts some weight on and gets in the gym.

He's definitely got a frame and he looked bigger to me in the legs and backside towards the end of the year.

I'm quite bullish about Zane.

By the end of the season it looked like he had added a few kg’s, which is a good sign!

Agree with you about his potential physique, honestly pretty similar to early days Fyfe. His body transformation by year 4 was incredible though.

By the end of the season it looked like he had added a few kg’s, which is a good sign!

Agree with you about his potential physique, honestly pretty similar to early days Fyfe. His body transformation by year 4 was incredible though.
It will take even more work for BGZ to get there. Fyfe had an excellent running capacity when drafted, so he didn't need to work on that as much.

It will take even more work for BGZ to get there. Fyfe had an excellent running capacity when drafted, so he didn't need to work on that as much.
This is what people overlook.

We’ve drafted multiple guys who have needed to drastically improve BOTH physique and running capacity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Zane Duursma - out for 2024, undergoing shoulder surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back