AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably nets us an early-mid second rounder. I don’t see how you fit him, Tsatas, Merrett, Parish, Durham and Caldwell into one midfield so I wouldn’t be opposed to it.
Yeah I was thinking similarly, but I don’t think that’s such a good deal for us. Better if we can trade for a player

Brad Scott has killed this kid

Playing him as sub, sometimes only brining him on for 20min at the end

Playing him up forward

Neither of which he is suited for at all

He is a jack viney type. Put him at the centre bounces and watch him shine

Absolutely staggers me that we are playing Shiel in front of him

Playing him up forward

He would've played much more without the calf injury. He's back in the side now and he'll get opportunity as part of the rotation. You cant be a one trick pony. Most good mids these days spend time forward or sometimes half back

Playing him up forward

This is my only gripe on Scott. He waits too long to pull the trigger on the sub. They are on a hiding to nothing.

Need minimun 1.5 quarters IMO.

I think some have only got 10 minutes or so. Soul destroying for the player.

Probably nets us an early-mid second rounder. I don’t see how you fit him, Tsatas, Merrett, Parish, Durham and Caldwell into one midfield so I wouldn’t be opposed to it.
So we are going to have no injuries ? how does he fit in the midfield ? someone will always be injured and you need at least 6 midfielders in the side with one or two playing some forward. If Shiel goes there is one spot. Perkins played most of the year as a midfielder but is not one. Parish can split his role . Merrett can also play a bit of half back / half forward . I think it is plain crazy to be looking to trade out the younger guys to get a couple of draft picks for more younger guys.

He would've played much more without the calf injury. He's back in the side now and he'll get opportunity as part of the rotation. You cant be a one trick pony. Most good mids these days spend time forward or sometimes half back
True. But why wouldn’t you have Shiel play majority up forward and Hobbs play the majority of his minutes in midfield

One guy won’t be at the club next season, the other is a very talented youngster who has a big future at the club

True. But why wouldn’t you have Shiel play majority up forward and Hobbs play the majority of his minutes in midfield

One guy won’t be at the club next season, the other is a very talented youngster who has a big future at the club
Shiel has been playing well in there and it was Hobbs first game back. I think we'll see Hobbs minutes increase over the next couple weeks. Shiel may or may not be at the club next year but he is contracted and playing good footy, the better footy he is playing the better pick we get in return if he does ask to go.

This is my only gripe on Scott. He waits too long to pull the trigger on the sub. They are on a hiding to nothing.

Need minimun 1.5 quarters IMO.

I think some have only got 10 minutes or so. Soul destroying for the player.

The sub should be either a vet who can help stabilise the ship late in game or a speedy runner to energise.

Nothing else.

Shiel has been playing well in there and it was Hobbs first game back. I think we'll see Hobbs minutes increase over the next couple weeks. Shiel may or may not be at the club next year but he is contracted and playing good footy, the better footy he is playing the better pick we get in return if he does ask to go.
Shiel really hasn’t been playing that well. He is good when he has the ball, but his defensive effort when he doesn’t have the ball is as poor as it’s always been

To play Shiel just to hopefully get a slightly better draft pick over a young kid is just the sort of shortsighted view that the club constantly does

So we are going to have no injuries ? how does he fit in the midfield ? someone will always be injured and you need at least 6 midfielders in the side with one or two playing some forward. If Shiel goes there is one spot. Perkins played most of the year as a midfielder but is not one. Parish can split his role . Merrett can also play a bit of half back / half forward . I think it is plain crazy to be looking to trade out the younger guys to get a couple of draft picks for more younger guys.
I don't necessarily disagree with a lot you have said there but would the club be content having a first round level talent as a fringe/depth option in the side?

The way I see it, Shiel's spot goes to one of Tsatas or Hobbs next year (I have Tsatas ahead as a pure midfielder currently but some may disagree) and Perkins goes to a HFF role.

You mention Merrett and Parish sacrificing time, but Caldwell and Durham especially have already had significantly less midfield time since Shiel's return. Based off performance this year, they should obviously be ahead of Hobbs in the queue.

Playing essentially 6 inside mids also limits the number of genuine forwards you have, which is not ideal when the majority of the best sides today (i.e. Giants, Hawks, Lions) seem to have 3-4 'pure' small forwards or flankers rather than mids who rest forwards.

Don't get me wrong I think Hobbs can and probably will be good player in time but it feels like he is somewhat wasted as his best position is in a part of the ground we strongest in compared to pretty much any other area.

I'm not saying he is a must trade by any means, but it is worth considering if we feel we can turn him into a similarly valued asset that addresses a more pressing need.

Last edited:
Shiel really hasn’t been playing that well. He is good when he has the ball, but his defensive effort when he doesn’t have the ball is as poor as it’s always been

To play Shiel just to hopefully get a slightly better draft pick over a young kid is just the sort of shortsighted view that the club constantly does
I don't think we are playing him specifically to get a better draft pick. As i said he's contracted so not necessarily going. I think we are playing him because he's in good form. Hobbs unfortunately got injured and had to build back up to match fitness in the VFL. He may not still be 100%. Its frustrating but it would have been worse for them to rush him back in underdone. He's still in the clubs plans, just bad timing with the calf injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but it is just plain stupid to be trading him out.
IDK, there might be some merit in trading out one of the 4 players contesting the done position. That said, I’d want to keep Hobbs too. The problem is he does not seem to be able to play anywhere other than on the ball.

IDK, there might be some merit in trading out one of the 4 players contesting the done position. That said, I’d want to keep Hobbs too. The problem is he does not seem to be able to play anywhere other than on the ball.
Its a tough one cos it does seem at the moment that we have too many mids, and who knows if Hobbs/Tsatas will look elsewhere if they keep getting played in 2s.
But I think our drop off started when Hobbs/Setterfield/Parish/Shiel/Duursma were all nursing injuries or coming back from injury. it meant merrett/caldwell/durham had to carry a heavy load in midfield and stringer/Gresham had to go up the ground a lot more than we like. Bit of a balancing act maintaining depth but not losing the young guys when they want opportunity elsewhere.

There was a bit of a drop off in Caldwell/Duz's output in the mid part of season but they've really found the form again since Shiel came back in and now parish. the problem now has been more around finding right mix, think against crows/Saints we used Stringer way too much in middle despite having all the other guys available.

I think a lot on this board think its the end of the world a young player is not playing week in, week out in the AFL. Not just Hobbs, we've heard it with Tsatas and Bryan as well, Hayes. I think for once our player development is actually looking decent. Bryan and Roberts have come in and now look ready to stay in. Davey and Tsatas have been given games and looked not ready but were given a taste to see where they need to get to, what they need to work on and in Tsatas case simply getting continuity with his body and full game midfield minutes at any level is huge. The fact he's improving his kicking and racking up big clearance numbers is exciting for the future. Hobbs was in the side before injury and built up fitness and is now back in the side. All of our young players are resigning/resigned already. I think that points to them being happy with where they are at and how they are being developed

I think a lot on this board think its the end of the world a young player is not playing week in, week out in the AFL. Not just Hobbs, we've heard it with Tsatas and Bryan as well, Hayes. I think for once our player development is actually looking decent. Bryan and Roberts have come in and now look ready to stay in. Davey and Tsatas have been given games and looked not ready but were given a taste to see where they need to get to, what they need to work on and in Tsatas case simply getting continuity with his body and full game midfield minutes at any level is huge. The fact he's improving his kicking and racking up big clearance numbers is exciting for the future. Hobbs was in the side before injury and built up fitness and is now back in the side. All of our young players are resigning/resigned already. I think that points to them being happy with where they are at and how they are being developed
Same was said about Parish, Langford, Laverde, and a host of other kids that in the end, didn’t make the grade. Long, Hams, Montgomerie etc

My concern is that in most clubs Hobbs would have played a heap more midfield time this season than he has with us. Its been more than two years since he won a rising star nomination and the clock is starting to tick. Theres nothing wrong with a thorough apprenticeship in the VFL if there is a pathway forward, but in his case the pathway isn't really there. It's at the point where he just needs to be played and it's not happening. It would be in everyones interest if he could be swapped for a similarly high draft pick in a club where he is a better fit. It's not going to happen i know but it's going to suck for him watching Tsatas get games ahead of him next season because he's got that bigger body and fills a need.

Jay Clarke reckons we’d get a second rounder for him in a trade. Just hold him if that’s the case.

My concern is that in most clubs Hobbs would have played a heap more midfield time this season than he has with us. Its been more than two years since he won a rising star nomination and the clock is starting to tick. Theres nothing wrong with a thorough apprenticeship in the VFL if there is a pathway forward, but in his case the pathway isn't really there. It's at the point where he just needs to be played and it's not happening. It would be in everyones interest if he could be swapped for a similarly high draft pick in a club where he is a better fit. It's not going to happen i know but it's going to suck for him watching Tsatas get games ahead of him next season because he's got that bigger body and fills a need.
What about how he was in the side and playing well in the midfield and then did a calf? Decent calf by all reports as well. Im glad we havent rushed him back in. He's back in the side now and id be surprised if we dont see his midfield minutes increase over the next 2 weeks. He hasn't really been stuck playing VFL for extended periods at any stage of his career. If he asked to leave you look at it but i dont think he will.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back