AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

May be coming to the end of a pretty ugly saga.

Sold him on a plan that pretty much immediately exploded, he's now played under 3 coaches, 2 of which never really bothered to feature him and play him to his greatest strengths and now we're apparently looking to front up a significant amount of cash to move him on.

I actually thought his early season form as a half forward rolling up towards the ball was one of the biggest reasons we started the season so well and it was one of the rare really positive things Scott did.

If he was starting in at every centre bounce and playing as a genuine onballer would this still be reflected back on as a bad trade?

Sold him on a plan that pretty much immediately exploded, he's now played under 3 coaches, 2 of which never really bothered to feature him and play him to his greatest strengths and now we're apparently looking to front up a significant amount of cash to move him on.

I actually thought his early season form as a half forward rolling up towards the ball was one of the biggest reasons we started the season so well and it was one of the rare really positive things Scott did.

If he was starting in at every centre bounce and playing as a genuine onballer would this still be reflected back on as a bad trade?
Hard to say

I tend to agree the first part of this season before he was injured was close to the best he had looked under us- and e certainly haven't made it easy for him with all those changes.

Would say we probably would still have been behind but would have been more a line ball call if he had that form over a few years.

He was dynamic at times this year.

I’m assuming he is now officially on the outer?

He was dynamic at times this year.

I’m assuming he is now officially on the outer?

Perhaps, or just injured, I'm not even sure what the injury was beyond 'foot'.

From memory the game he came back he was literally limping around from about 5 minutes in, was sub the next week and then out with the same foot injury a week later.

Perhaps, or just injured, I'm not even sure what the injury was beyond 'foot'.

From memory the game he came back he was literally limping around from about 5 minutes in, was sub the next week and then out with the same foot injury a week later.
An arthritic foot issue that requires injections to play and (I heard) some sort of surgery to fix which is a bit different to what has been reported.

There was also the suggestion that he is not great at playing through pain.

An arthritic foot issue that requires injections to play and (I heard) some sort of surgery to fix which is a bit different to what has been reported.

There was also the suggestion that he is not great at playing through pain.
i heard he got it fixed and the surgeon was quite amazed at how well it did and it’s even better and more powerful than before and he’s probably got another 4 or 5 years of quality football ahead of him and it also improved his pain tolerance like that bond villian, and we really don’t want to trade him anymore but if we did, it would be very reluctantly and the trade would have to reflect that.

oh, and the surgery made him even more handsomer

I’d be real careful of trading this bloke. We are very very low on experience as it is.
I'm okay with it if he wants one last crack at a flag. We sold him a lemon and he's been an utmost professional and an excellent player despite the idiotic criticism from many.

I'm okay with it if he wants one last crack at a flag. We sold him a lemon and he's been an utmost professional and an excellent player despite the idiotic criticism from many.
agree completely

it'd almost be worth seeing a Saints flag if Shiel could win one.
Rather he go to Melbourne and do that.....or we pulled some miracle out of our proverbial

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind if Shiel stays or goes. Don't agree with offloading Shiel to Saints though if it means Gresham costs a lot more. Keep the deals seperate, offer a reasonable amount to Gresham, if Saints want to match then so be it they can keep him.

I’d be real careful of trading this bloke. We are very very low on experience as it is.

I'd leave it up to him, if he wants to go somewhere for a shot at a flag then we should facilitate it for him, he was absolutely sold a lemon and deserves the choice of how and where his career finishes out.

I'd leave it up to him, if he wants to go somewhere for a shot at a flag then we should facilitate it for him, he was absolutely sold a lemon and deserves the choice of how and where his career finishes out.

Yep, fair enough.

We are still in desperate need of KPPs so if it can help facilitate that too, then all the better.

Millions of dollars and two top picks to sky the ball inside 50 or shank it into the crowd and refuse to defend on the subsequent transition, yeah It was Shiel that was sold the lemon 🙄
Millions of dollars selling a flag to a gun inside midfielder in his prime to play in two finals over 5 years.

Yeah, he was sold a lemon.

Millions of dollars selling a flag to a gun inside midfielder in his prime to play in two finals over 5 years.

Yeah, he was sold a lemon.
Finals are earned. You don't just get to play in them due to reputation. And you certainly don't get to play in them when you can't kick and won't defend.
Lemons for everyone. It's a 'lemon party! Now to go and google an appropriate image to complete my post...
I'll be celebrating with a cool glass of turnip juice if we manage to get a trade for Shiel up.

Finals are earned. You don't just get to play in them due to reputation. And you certainly don't get to play in them when you can't kick and won't defend.

I'll be celebrating with a cool glass of turnip juice if we manage to get a trade for Shiel up.
So guys like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Tom Mitchell etc didn't earn finals?

We sold him a dream to get him to pick us ahead of Carlton and Hawthorne. We sold him a lemon, you're beyond help if you don't get that.

So guys like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Tom Mitchell etc didn't earn finals?

We sold him a dream to get him to pick us ahead of Carlton and Hawthorne. We sold him a lemon, you're beyond help if you don't get that.

"Come play for Essendon, we have a generational FF and are primed for a flag tilt!"

24 months on

"We're rebuilding!"

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back