AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

One of these things is not like the others:

Shiel, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Mitchell
You said guys who couldn't kick and didn't defend. You put no other restrictions on that. I'm just pointing how dumb your argument is.

And yeah, one of them is slow too. Mitchell really doesn't fit.
"Come play for Essendon, we have a generational FF and are primed for a flag tilt!"

24 months on

"We're rebuilding!"
Yeah but he wasn't sold a lemon. Not at all. Just listen to hank. He knows better than everyone else.

You said guys who couldn't kick and didn't defend. You put no other restrictions on that. I'm just pointing how dumb your argument is.

And yeah, one of them is slow too. Mitchell really doesn't fit.

Yeah but he wasn't sold a lemon. Not at all. Just listen to hank. He knows better than everyone else.
I'm only trying to help you understand reality, eth. Never seen any of those guys berated by their team mates for refusal to defend. Dangerfield even became much more of a defensive minded player at a time he was the clear number 1 player in the comp. And Shiel is a far worse kick than any of them.

How many good games did Shiel play for the bombers? How many games does it take to play finals? But it's everyone else's fault we couldn't carry him to finals 🍋

I'm only trying to help you understand reality, eth. Never seen any of those guys berated by their team mates for refusal to defend. Dangerfield even became much more of a defensive minded player at a time he was the clear number 1 player in the comp. And Shiel is a far worse kick than any of them.

How many good games did Shiel play for the bombers? How many games does it take to play finals? But it's everyone else's fault we couldn't carry him to finals 🍋

Well done on being so desperate to talk down Shiel that you’ve failed to understand even the most basic of comments 😂

How many good games? I'd say 90% of his games were at a good to very good standard. Also Dangerfield is the worst defensively of any of the ones listed.

Your head is so far in the sand it's hilarious. Your hatred for him is legitimately pathetic.

In fairnness to Shiel, Joe and Fantasia requested trades at the end of his first year after being 2 of the guys pitching to him. They made a pact with Merrett as well which while they technically haven't broken yet, they dogged the boys.

In saying that Shiel was well paid and the other 2 clubs he was considering have done nothing either. And he chose the club with Worsfold coaching it. He's also had injury issues.

If he asks for a trade would probably facilitate it but we owe him no more than he owes us.

In fairnness to Shiel, Joe and Fantasia requested trades at the end of his first year after being 2 of the guys pitching to him. They made a pact with Merrett as well which while they technically haven't broken yet, they dogged the boys.

In saying that Shiel was well paid and the other 2 clubs he was considering have done nothing either. And he chose the club with Worsfold coaching it. He's also had injury issues.

If he asks for a trade would probably facilitate it but we owe him no more than he owes us.
One is literally playing in a prelim tomorrow night

One is literally playing in a prelim tomorrow night
This is the first time Carlton have played finals in that period of time though and Shiel is now 30 and injured. And who knows what the team would look like had they given up 2 firsts at the time. If one of the other teams had won flag or two in the first few years after the move id feel sorry for him. GWS in the gf in 2019 would've been tough.

It wasn't me calling him out on the field for not defending. It wasn't me calling him out on the field for being soft.

Both of which are pretty irrelevant to the point being discussed.

Shiel (like Goddard before him) was sold on coming to EFC on the basis that we were going to be competing in finals with a list profile aimed at contending, not rebuilding the list. So was Stringer, so was Saad, so was Smith. Do you dispute this?

I would say 90% good in his first season. :)

From a quick look, in his first season for us he was our 3rd most prolific disposal winner, 3rd most prolific tackler (if we including Dylan Clarke who played half a season), 1st most prolific clearance winner, and 2nd most Score Involvements.

Not too shabby.
He was great until McDonald clocked him in round 6 in 2020 and none of our blokes bothered to show any fight at all and he got rubbed out for retaliating. After that he has played some good footy in between injury but has also sooked it up a bit at times and not always gone as hard as he should or played the roles as well as he should. hank hates him with a passion so it will always be a round and round argument with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was great until McDonald clocked him in round 6 in 2020 and none of our blokes bothered to show any fight at all and he got rubbed out for retaliating. After that he has played some good footy in between injury but has also sooked it up a bit at times and not always gone as hard as he should or played the roles as well as he should. hank hates him with a passion so it will always be a round and round argument with him.
That suspension was absolute rubbish. He won a 50/50 ball with a legal action. Think he had been BOG a few times before round 6 as well.

Both of which are pretty irrelevant to the point being discussed.

Shiel (like Goddard before him) was sold on coming to EFC on the basis that we were going to be competing in finals with a list profile aimed at contending, not rebuilding the list. So was Stringer, so was Saad, so was Smith. Do you dispute this?
There's no doubt Adrian had our list profile on the verge of contending before Richardson blew the whole thing up bringing in a hack for two first round picks.

I’m saying what he was sold by the club. Not commenting on how accurate it was.
I wasn't in on the meeting, so I don't know what the club sold him and I don't pretend. His manager basically admitted we were still a couple of players short at the time. So he wasn't some victim going in uninformed. Couple of other players we probably didn't get due to the price we paid for Shiel.

I wasn't in on the meeting, so I don't know what the club sold him and I don't pretend. His manager basically admitted we were still a couple of players short at the time. So he wasn't some victim going in uninformed. Couple of other players we probably didn't get due to the price we paid for Shiel.

This is one real sad vendetta you’ve got.

This is one real sad vendetta you’ve got.
This isn't about me. Again, it wasn't me who berated him on field that was his team mate. It wasn't me who publicly mocked his soft play, that was his opponent who he squibbed against.

Did we promise him finals success? I won't pretend to know I wasn't there.
Paul Connors 😡 said:
The competition is so even that he feels with him coming in, and maybe a couple of others, that they can challenge for the eight and then the final four and be contenders

fishing-gif-16.gif

"Come play for Essendon, we have a generational FF and are primed for a flag tilt!"

24 months on

"We're rebuilding!"
That and his mate Dev Smith was here.

He barely played with Daniher, 7-8 games in 2 years. And JD was requesting a trade to Sydney less than 12 months after pitching to Shiel, followed by the coaching handover. Then came covid, implosion, exodus, rebuild, Truck loved him, Truck got sacked, implosion 2.0, and then the new era started and he isn’t really seen as part of it.

It’s not as bad as what Goddard got, but it’s not far off.

He barely played with Daniher, 7-8 games in 2 years. And JD was requesting a trade to Sydney less than 12 months after pitching to Shiel, followed by the coaching handover. Then came covid, implosion, exodus, rebuild, Truck loved him, Truck got sacked, implosion 2.0, and then the new era started and he isn’t really seen as part of it.

The curse of the free agents at Essendon, bring on the McKay period!!!

All of that sounds like Shiel’s fault tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel - 3AW interview -16/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back