Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when Noble does it its crazy and when Clarko does its great?
There's a difference between having a spell at FF and spending the second half of a game rotting away on a flank after being the best player on the ground in the 2nd quarter playing on ball.

Zero chance his primary position isn't as our first picked mid for the next 5-6 years.

So when Noble does it its crazy and when Clarko does its great?
Depends really. LDU was spending quarters at a time rotting on a flank when we were getting reamed in the middle. It wasn't good for his own performances, or the teams - evident in his BNF & Brownlow polling post the change. If Clarkson takes the same approach, it will deservingly get criticism.

Alternatively, if Clarkson uses him as predominantly mid, with resting bursts deep forward, OR if we are able to win the midfield battle and he then goes deep forward for a more extended period.

It's a fair difference.

LDU has the height, acceleration and reach to be a handy pinch-hitter forward but has never really produced in that role. Some untapped potential there.

It's not a bad weapon to add to his arsenal for him to be able to rest up there.

It's the leap. He has had some monster leaps with very few chances, I think we need to give him opportunity to do it more as a difference maker.

The thought of a natural midfielder being thrown forward one out with a defender has always been one that makes me cringe. Dusty and Dangerfield are exceptions to the rule. I don't believe LDU has the necessary power in his upper body to really make something of a forward stint. Hopefully, if it does happen, it's because his fitness base has improved and the time he spends forward is time that he'd have in the past spent on the bench. Otherwise it'd be robbing Peter to pay the homeless bloke out the front of Woolies

Depends really. LDU was spending quarters at a time rotting on a flank when we were getting reamed in the middle. It wasn't good for his own performances, or the teams - evident in his BNF & Brownlow polling post the change. If Clarkson takes the same approach, it will deservingly get criticism.

Alternatively, if Clarkson uses him as predominantly mid, with resting bursts deep forward, OR if we are able to win the midfield battle and he then goes deep forward for a more extended period.

It's a fair difference.
Yes that’s probably the rationale. I’m still not a fan of it because ‘resting forward’ would still use up petrol tickets and possibly detract on time/performance in the midfield. LDU is our best mid and probably the biggest success story on field this year, I find it odd that the coaching team would want to change things up there

Yes that’s probably the rationale. I’m still not a fan of it because ‘resting forward’ would still use up petrol tickets and possibly detract on time/performance in the midfield. LDU is our best mid and probably the biggest success story on field this year, I find it odd that the coaching team would want to change things up there
I think we can rest easy knowing that Clarkson isn't going to use him forward when we are getting our pants pulled down in the middle, Noble style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thought of a natural midfielder being thrown forward one out with a defender has always been one that makes me cringe. Dusty and Dangerfield are exceptions to the rule. I don't believe LDU has the necessary power in his upper body to really make something of a forward stint. Hopefully, if it does happen, it's because his fitness base has improved and the time he spends forward is time that he'd have in the past spent on the bench. Otherwise it'd be robbing Peter to pay the homeless bloke out the front of Woolies
Kind of agree with you. It's something to do if you struggle to put all your talent in the middle (and have a gun that can play forward) or letting them exploit where it suits there strengths. If you have a midfield that consists of Ben Cunnington - giant reams of space - a 24 year old Simpkin then this guy I would think that he's not on the list of blokes you need to find an excuse to rest forward right now. I say that as someone that is actually quite confident that he has the tools to impact down there.

I also think he is an explosive power athlete in the middle and largely I want him resting off the field unless matchups demand change and using that power in the middle as often as possible. This feels like a solution to an issue that doesn't yet exist.

His set shot, yes.

His goal kicking in play is fine.
Actually his goal kicking is poor to average. His best seasons for accuracy were 2022 & 2020 which was 50%, in 2021 it was 29%, and in 2019 & 2018 it was 33%. He’s got a lot of room for improvement.

Last edited:
Luke Davies-Uniacke will remain in the blue and white until at least 2025 after signing a two-year contract extension.

Taken with pick No.4 in the 2016 AFL Draft, Davies-Uniacke made his debut for North Melbourne in the opening round of the 2018 season and currently sits on 71 games played.

After battling injuries during the beginning of his career as a Kangaroo, 2022 saw the agile No.9 explode and produce his best individual campaign yet.

In Ben Cunnington's absence, the 23-year-old shouldered the extra responsibility with great aplomb alongside Jy Simpkin, averaging 24.9 disposals, 5.3 clearances and five inside 50s per game.

A performance that perfectly encapsulated LDU's growth as a player was his stirring Round 17 effort against eventual preliminary finalists Collingwood when he gathered 33 touches, 14 inside 50s, 12 clearances and 11 tackles.

He played 21 matches in 2022 and collected an impressive haul of awards on best and fairest night, claiming the Mazda Excellence and Shinboner of the Year honours while finishing runner-up in the Syd Barker Medal count.

"Luke has rapidly become one of the club's most important players and we got plenty examples of that throughout the season just gone," head of football talent Brady Rawlings said.

"We're ecstatic to have a someone of his calibre commit to North Melbourne for another couple of years, he's such a terrific person to have at the club both on and off the field, and we know how much the Shinboner members and fans have adored his recent rise as a footballer.

"We've got so much confidence in him, and we look forward to seeing him take his game to yet another level

If what I was told at 5,30 am this morning is true, standby for some exciting news.
A deal has been done, can not verify duration or further details.
Now for the Benny Mac signature…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back