Senior 9. Patrick Cripps - 2024 Brownlow Medallist - Dual Winner - Captain Colossus

Remove this Banner Ad

A player with the right upside you need to look for in the draft. Isn't a skinny endurance player or tall athlete who has to develop footy smarts and/or improved his contested game. Can improve his endurance and marking game to play to his height. Took a good contested mark against three players.

Terrific clearance where Cripps leant on his opponent and used his size to protect the drop of the ball. Can't think of a current mid with his height and bulk. Will be hard to shift off the ball.

Terrific clearance where Cripps leant on his opponent and used his size to protect the drop of the ball. Can't think of a current mid with his height and bulk. Will be hard to shift off the ball.

Cripps doesn't possess the outside game of Mundy or Watson, but he's not completely dissimilar to either of them in build.

Cripps doesn't possess the outside game of Mundy or Watson, but he's not completely dissimilar to either of them in build.
True. But I think that's more to do with him going from being a small forward pre growth spurt to an inside mid after he grew. Give him time to develop his outside game and should be good.

This kid definitely has 'it'. He has a presence about him, is a good decision maker, has game sense and thrives on the contest. He looks harder and more determined than the majority of our senior group already!

Have to carefully manage him. Happy with what they have done so far; a couple of games in the guts of the two's to build the tank, a couple of games in the 1's, a week off then a soft return via the 2's; they will definitely play him in the 1's this week.

We will then have three players under 21 - Cripps, Buckley and Menzel have a bit of spunk about them and are not happy with losing..just need another five to mix with our top 14 and we are heading in the right direction..

We will then have three players under 21 - Cripps, Buckley and Menzel have a bit of spunk about them and are not happy with losing..just need another five to mix with our top 14 and we are heading in the right direction..

We have a few more than that.

Graham and Holman are also competitive beasts who don't take too kindly to losing.

Of course we need to continue to bolster those stocks each and every year but so long as these boy stick around for a while, we'll be in good hands going forward.

My AFL life

Judd a round 10 chance
Laidley expects Cripps to be back in the AFL team after the bye.

"His body is adjusting to the rigours of AFL footy," Laidley said.

"We'd like to certainly play him as many games as we can this year in the senior side, without having a negative effect on his body and his ability to play a lot of games over a long period of time."
Judd a round 10 chance

Last edited:
Cripps close to return
What’s been the most surprising thing about your first year at Carlton so far?

Cripps:
I didn’t know what to expect when I first came to the club, but now I feel used to the AFL environment and part of the group. I love it over here and I’m glad I’m at Carlton.

Dale Thomas is your mentor, how has he helped you?

Cripps: Daisy has been awesome as a mentor. With the injury it has been pretty tough, but he’s been shooting me a text at least once a week to see how I’m travelling.

In terms of footy I watch a bit of vision with him and analyse his game. When I was playing earlier in the year he was giving me tips on certain running patterns and things like that. He’s been terrific.
Cripps close to return

Although the Northern Blues had a poor season, for cripps to place second in the b&f after playing only 10 games is a fantastic effort.

http://carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-09-15/cripps-claims-second-place
Can't argue with that statement. It shows that, although he may not always have been a dominant player, he fulfilled the coaches expectations and did what he was required to do.
It also makes you wonder how other players, who could have filled the same criteria, did not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 1:30 or so onward, Daisy getting around Cripps after he presumably kicks a goal! :)

Need more extroverts.

It hard to put a value on a senior team-mate that encourages the kids the way that Thomas does but he does make the young guys walk taller.

You'd want to see most of the money spent on Thomas exposed on the field but only insiders can gauge just how valuable he is off the field.

Like a new recruit: Your club's bonus players in 2015

Patrick Cripps
Another Blue with an injury-interrupted season. The 19-year-old suffered a fractured fibula in the VFL, featuring in just three AFL games this year. The emerging midfielder began pre-season training on Wednesday, and can expect to don the navy blue jumper on more occasions next season

Like a new recruit: Your club's bonus players in 2015

Cripps made a huge impression at the club in his first season despite playing just the 3 senior games.

Made it apparent very quickly that he's already too good for VFL level with a second place finish in the Northern Blues Best and Fairest award despite playing only 10 games at that level.

Patrick may not cement his place in our senior side's best 22 next year but expect him to take the next step and feature significantly more prominently at AFL level in 2015.

We're now rejuvenating the midfield group by pushing through a new wave of players and expect to see Pat front and centre of that group.

With a good preseason behind him and a couple of new faces in the middle, it will be interesting to see how Paddy develops. I have my hopes for him, especially as we are reconstructing our midfield.
I can't see us picking up another slower mid in this cohort, unless that person is a rookie pick.

Didn't test for injury, if I remember right.

There may be something recorded somewhere but who's going to find it?
I remember some sort of beep trat result for him but I'm not sure if it was from combine.

I remember some sort of beep trat result for him but I'm not sure if it was from combine.

That wouldn't have been last year though as I'm pretty sure Cripps didn't get involved at the combine.

Cripps isn't straight line fast, but he somehow understands his surrounds for him being able to weave around opponents.
A full pre-season given him commitment will see a new player next year.

I agree that he has evasive skills, i think that it comes from his ability to open play by hand and stand in a tackle. One less opponent to defend the handball if they are hanging off Crippa's shorts...

i see him as a player most like jobe watson, although he didn't need "Musashi" to get his bulk...

i look forward to Cripps clearances putting gibbs and murphy into space this year...

Young gun Cripps re-signs with Blues until 2017

CARLTON has moved quickly to secure one of its most exciting young midfielders, re-signing Patrick Cripps to the end of 2017.

Cripps was not due to come out of contract until the end of next season, but the 19-year-old and the Blues finalised a two-year contract extension this week.

Young gun Cripps re-signs with Blues until 2017

Cripps commits for two more

Carlton’s GM – Football Operations Andrew McKay says he’s rapt that Cripps wants to stay a Blue.

“Patrick has shown tremendous potential in his short time with us, both in his skills on the field and through his leadership qualities,” McKay said.

“In a year that we have seen so many young players ask to move clubs, it’s really pleasing that Patrick wants to commit to Carlton for the long term.

“We’re looking forward to watching him develop further as a player and have no doubt that he will make a great contribution to our football club in the years ahead.”

Cripps commits for two more

Great news. :thumbsu:

Hugely important player for us heading forward. Only played the 3 senior games in his first year, but don't be surprised should Pat become a regular as early as 2015.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 9. Patrick Cripps - 2024 Brownlow Medallist - Dual Winner - Captain Colossus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back