Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

will2.jpg

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way I am happy.
If he wants to stay and be part of a pretty amazing team, I am happy.
If he leaves, he is paid, I imagine a lot and I don't mind player setting themselves up financially. We all have our priorities in life.
He will decide on what is most important to him. He is lucky to have that choice. He has worked hard to earn that choice.
Good luck to him which ever way he chooses.
We have created a player that we can sell and alternatively keep players we most need.
A great club. Winners everywhere.
Very rational.

If the strawman is "we can only keep Hayward or Warner, not both" then yes, the club would prioritise Warner, but it's generally never that cut and dry.

The club would love to keep him and I've got no doubt they've put a number of very fair offers in front of him.

I really hope he stays. Is taking it to another level this year.

Last edited:
If the strawman is "we can only keep Hayward or Warner, not both" then yes, the club would prioritise Warner, but it's generally never that cut and dry.

The club would love to keep him and I've got no doubt they've put a number of very fair offers in front of him.

I really hope he stays. Is taking it to another level this year.

Pretty much my view. I hope it doesn't come down to that and we can keep both. Gun to my head I think Warner will be more value per $ than Hayward (making assumptions about both their potential contracts of course), so if it came down to one or the other I'd pick Warner, but there's every chance we keep both and the club should do everything they can to make it happen.

Ok everyone.

Let's just get the discussion back to Hayward 👍

Honestly been really impressed with him this year, not only his offensive game, but his defensive side has been extraordinary.

$800 isn't a bad amount to keep him on, remember the cap has increased nearly 40% since 2022.

Also note cap will expand again in 2027.

Ok everyone.

Honestly been really impressed with him this year, not only his offensive game, but his defensive side has been extraordinary.

$800 isn't a bad amount to keep him on, remember the cap has increased nearly 40% since 2022.

At least the 800k is now moot, given the Adelaide clubs now seem to be out of the equation.

Ok everyone.

Hi Bonz, he has looked better and is tackling with more intent. However he is not within a bulls roar of $800k. Reckon 600k under the new cba more than rewards him.

I’d prefer he be on $500k.

I’d also make the point he disappoints under pressure and twice had close to doughnuts at half time in this his break out season. He is not a big Finals series player. His GF was as valuable to the team as Sam Reid.

Hi Bonz, he has looked better and is tackling with more intent. However he is not within a bulls roar of $800k. Reckon 600k under the new cba more than rewards him.

I’d also make the point he disappoints under pressure and twice had close to doughnuts at half time in this his break out season. He is not a big Finals series player. His GF was as valuable to the team as Sam Reid.
Just stop.

The new CBA was worth 40% of the cap (with another reported raise in 2027).

600-500k would only be worth 400-350 under the new cap which was generally a 16-depth player on most lists.

Hayward is worth a fair bit more than that going by this season, hitting the scoreboard, getting assists and also generally shutting down an opposition rebounding tall.

His not perfect, but he would be a top ten player on most if not all lists in the league currently

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know , i think he is right as there is no panic and obviously priority was Hayward .
Get stuffed Demons

Thanks mate do trust your knowledge on these things. Hoping we announce Logan soon.

I love this re-signing Haywards actually a quality player when played as a pressure forward rather than a marking forward and that seems to be the role his is playing this year as his defensive numbers are all up a little

Perfect now how far is Logan away (sorry for pestering but you know I want him signed lol)
Trade him. He's honestly not much - getting goals because he is on the end of a very good team atm and that's about it. He's not creating any or even getting many from half chances. He's not taking great marks, and often not even able to bring the ball to ground against an opponent. I'm aware he ought to improve over the next year or two, but his ceiling looks to be average to me.

If Freo or WC especially want to give us two firsts for him - I think we could do just as well, if not better putting Parker down there to operate with Mclean and Amartey as the bigs. Or trying Hamling or Buller. Ladhams if Mclean is out. Those two picks we could take a KPD and a KPF.

Very happy to see Hayward sign though.

Trade him. He's honestly not much - getting goals because he is on the end of a very good team atm and that's about it. He's not creating any or even getting many from half chances. He's not taking great marks, and often not even able to bring the ball to ground against an opponent. I'm aware he ought to improve over the next year or two, but his ceiling looks to be average to me.

If Freo or WC especially want to give us two firsts for him - I think we could do just as well, if not better putting Parker down there to operate with Mclean and Amartey as the bigs. Or trying Hamling or Buller. Ladhams if Mclean is out. Those two picks we could take a KPD and a KPF.

Very happy to see Hayward sign though.

Heck no, KPF's don't grow on trees and Logan is one of the few forwards that brings players into the game. How often do you see him give off an easy goal to someone else. We will resign him anyway as I trust Bedders on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back