Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

will2.jpg

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm happy - and yet, the nagging feeling that "we can't keep 'em all" has intensified.

Logan? Chad?

Can't help but think something is gonna give. I was actually getting myself comfortable with the thought that it'd be Hayward that departed.
I could be wrong but wasn't Hayward on a back ended deal so it isn't much of an increase in Salary and given we didn't have to pay up to the value of Carltons deal of 800-850 and it sounds more likely 650k per year surely its not too much of a hit to the salary cap

I'm happy - and yet, the nagging feeling that "we can't keep 'em all" has intensified.

Logan? Chad?

Can't help but think something is gonna give. I was actually getting myself comfortable with the thought that it'd be Hayward that departed.
I wouldn't panic just yet. We were fishing for a big one that we didn't land so it might turn out that the war chest gets spent on retention. IMO that would be no bad thing.

I could be wrong but wasn't Hayward on a back ended deal so it isn't much of an increase in Salary and given we didn't have to pay up to the value of Carltons deal of 800-850 and it sounds more likely 650k per year surely its not too much of a hit to the salary cap
I don't think anyone outside the club really knows.

All I do know is that Hayward had an appreciable amount of leverage in the negotiation - so unless his manager did a very good deal for Will .... he's a shocking manager.

But any speculation as to how our salary cap sits is exactly that .... speculation!

Logan? Chad?

Wouldn't surprise me if some of our recent contracts are back ended, taking into account funds freed up from when our older brigade retire/ depth players over the next few years.

I don't think anyone outside the club really knows.

All I do know is that Hayward had an appreciable amount of leverage in the negotiation - so unless his manager did a very good deal for Will .... he's a shocking manager.

But any speculation as to how our salary cap sits is exactly that .... speculation!
From what we have heard pretty sure the manager did pretty well in general.

First offer from the Swans was roughly 4y for 550-600 its lead to believe
The offer that he agreed to was somewhere in the region of 5y at 650-700

Manager kept him at the Swans to hopefully win premierships but also got Will a guaranteed extra 1m or so. Yes i know he will most likely would have gotten other contracts with the old 4 year deal to make money in the 5th year but to guarantee your client an extra 1m in earnings give or take and keep him at the club most likely to win it all is a win imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what we have heard pretty sure the manager did pretty well in general.

First offer from the Swans was roughly 4y for 550-600 its lead to believe
The offer that he agreed to was somewhere in the region of 5y at 650-700

Manager kept him at the Swans to hopefully win premierships but also got Will a guaranteed extra 1m or so. Yes i know he will most likely would have gotten other contracts with the old 4 year deal to make money in the 5th year but to guarantee your client an extra 1m in earnings give or take and keep him at the club most likely to win it all is a win imo
How do you know what he's getting !

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back