Player Watch #9 Will Hayward - Congrats on 150 Games for the Bloods!

Remove this Banner Ad

will2.jpg

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not quite enough to score him in the POTY but his last 15 minutes was insane. Huge contested mark, tackles, relieving kick and more.

he represents how this team is evolving with the boost of confidence
the way the season is unfolding, it's like it's opening the eyes of players such as hayward, mcinenerny, wicks, roberts to what's possible as a team, but as individual players as well
they're feeding off the confidence and performance of the likes of heeney, warner, grundy et al, and they're lifting, they're all lifting
almost every player seems to be better than they were, even a veteran such as lloyd is a better version of the past few years
but hayward has gone from frustrating talent/whipping boy to one of the most sought after "available" players in the league
the tackle on bontempelli was a serious "statement" moment ... and to go back and kick the goal ...

he represents how this team is evolving with the boost of confidence
the way the season is unfolding, it's like it's opening the eyes of players such as hayward, mcinenerny, wicks, roberts to what's possible as a team, but as individual players as well
they're feeding off the confidence and performance of the likes of heeney, warner, grundy et al, and they're lifting, they're all lifting
almost every player seems to be better than they were, even a veteran such as lloyd is a better version of the past few years
but hayward has gone from frustrating talent/whipping boy to one of the most sought after "available" players in the league
the tackle on bontempelli was a serious "statement" moment ... and to go back and kick the goal ...
And Bont knew it too. Thunder rained down upon him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One gets the feeling the club is happy to let him go in order to keep Warner.
By all accounts the club has put at least two, if not three offers in front of him so I reckon we want him to stay but perhaps we're not prepared to pay silly money. He's seeing how far the Blues are prepared to reach. Once that offer is firm he can go back to the Swans who can match or say goodbye. If we match he stays or there's a trade on offer. Could take a fair while yet to play out.

By all accounts the club has put at least two, if not three offers in front of him so I reckon we want him to stay but perhaps we're not prepared to pay silly money. He's seeing how far the Blues are prepared to reach. Once that offer is firm he can go back to the Swans who can match or say goodbye. If we match he stays or there's a trade on offer. Could take a fair while yet to play out.
KC, don’t think we need to match. Reckon if we’re close (say within $100-150k) he’ll stay.
In fact I reckon he’s definitely staying, but his manager’s just doing his job and trying to extract as much as possible.

KC, don’t think we need to match. Reckon if we’re close (say within $100-150k) he’ll stay.
In fact I reckon he’s definitely staying, but his manager’s just doing his job and trying to extract as much as possible.
Possibly, but maybe a bit closer than that. $150k x 6 = $900k which is a lot of loot!
I agree though that he wants to stay.

Given Adelaide isn't an option, seems like the silly money contracts are off the table. Wasn't it reported that the blues had a reasonable offer for him and weren't selling the farm? I think we're well-placed to keep him

Either way I am happy.
If he wants to stay and be part of a pretty amazing team, I am happy.
If he leaves, he is paid, I imagine a lot and I don't mind player setting themselves up financially. We all have our priorities in life.
He will decide on what is most important to him. He is lucky to have that choice. He has worked hard to earn that choice.
Good luck to him which ever way he chooses.
We have created a player that we can sell and alternatively keep players we most need.
A great club. Winners everywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back