Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

will2.jpg

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is our joint goal scoring leader with Amartey at 35. Is our most accurate goal kicker, converting 73% of his shots. Next best is Chad Warner on 66%.
*of players who have scored more than 5 goals

Shout out to Parker (5/5 - 100%) and Lloyd (4/5 - 80%).

Edit: the stats I quoted didn't include shots that didn't register a score. See grimlock post below for more accurate stats.

Last edited:

Is our joint goal scoring leader with Amartey at 35. Is our most accurate goal kicker, converting 73% of his shots. Next best is Chad Warner on 66%.

If I had to pick anyone from our team to take a set shot for my life from 50 or closer, it would be Lloyd followed by Wilbur.

That doesn’t take into account shots that don’t score anything. According to wheeloratings our top 5 are
Wicks 62.5%
Hayward 61.4%
McLean 61.0%
Chad Warner 58.5%
Amartey 54.7%

Bottom 3 are
Fox and Rowbottom 40.0%
Gulden 40.6%

If I had to pick anyone from our team to take a set shot for my life from 50 or closer, it would be Lloyd followed by Wilbur.

Wilbur for my life.... ouch.

Can I have Gulden on a left foot snap or Papley on the run?

He's been in a rich vein of form lately. Funnily enough I feel he's gotten even better since his injury.

Should be rested against the crows but has had a good season.

I've been one to doubt him many times but he's really proving me wrong
He's been our best forward this year. Even when he's not hitting the scoreboard he's such a competitor. You always feel like he's a chance to win every contest he's in, even when he's outnumbered (as he was on a couple of occasions last night)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His work off the ball is underrated
Most of us who go to the home games have been saying this all year... the coverage doesn't allow those who aren't at the game to see how much he puts in... it's a buggar, but you actually need to be there to see it!

In hindsight I think Hayward was an important signing for our future.

He has been our most dangerous forward this season. He is a marking target with his leap, can beat an opponent with his pace, quickly snap a goal or run defenders down to get "holding the ball".

So Hayward adds a few dimensions to our forward line. And would be hard to replace if he had left as a free agent.

In hindsight I think Hayward was an important signing for our future.

He has been our most dangerous forward this season. He is a marking target, can beat an opponent with his pace, quickly snap a goal or run defenders down.

So he adds a few dimensions to our forward line. And would be hard to replace if he had left as a free agent.
He's turning into the leader he wanted to be. It's really awesome

All the posters chasing him out earlier in the season lost a peg in footy cred

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back