A "Euro winter" World Cup in Oz

Remove this Banner Ad

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
How much easier it would've been putting our bid together if FIFA didn't restrict us to June/July and the old 2 stadia per city rule like it hasn't for 12-stadia-in-one-city Qatar :rolleyes:.

* All large stadia would've been freely available - sheesh we would've been flushed with choice just in the 5 mainland capitals.

* No clash between football codes and no interruptions to their seasons. A-league would need to have a break for a month but would benefit from WC build up and flow-on support afterwards.

* Held from mid Nov - mid Dec. Temps in the low-mid 20s.

Easy peasy. We'd then only have to worry about paying big enough bribes to FIFA delegates to win it :p

Qatar could set a precedent that the World Cup could be hosted at another time if it suits the home country.

Getting the MCG or Adelaide Oval could be problematic because of cricket, but there'd be no opposition to any other stadium - and Docklands would be available.

Because UEFA would flatout murder our asses.

Part of the reason Qatar was chosen over Korea, Japan, USA and Australia is they can beam the games live into prime time in Europe. Which is something the other four can't offer.

Qatar could set a precedent that the World Cup could be hosted at another time if it suits the home country.

Getting the MCG or Adelaide Oval could be problematic because of cricket, but there'd be no opposition to any other stadium - and Docklands would be available.

Could be donw with the cricket- schedule the Test matches/ODIs in the stadiums affected around the World Cup- Melbourne might have to wear not having a Boxing Day Test one year- but I think it could be compensated if it got the WC Final instead, then a Test later.....

bhahahahaha

the whole idea behind moving the Qatar world cup to January is to avoid the extreme temperatures expreince there during the summer

not for stadium availability

i find it hard to believe that fifa would interrupt the European footballing calender to hold a world cup in 40 degree heat. Just a bunch of people, who follow a game they've probably never heard of aren't inconvenienced

Mid-Nov to mid-Dec isn't 40 degree heat in Oz :rolleyes:. The weather is far better than June/July in the southern states that's for sure.

With the SCG, WACA and Bellerive available it won't affect the test schedule (MCG test can still be on boxing day with the drop in pitches) and the shield teams can play at smaller venues as Cricket at that level doesn't rely on attendance, gameday membership and gameday corporate events for income.

If FIFA are going to hold the WC in January in 2022 then the European leagues will have to take a break for a month so there'll be a precedent by the next time we bid.

Mid-Nov to mid-Dec isn't 40 degree heat in Oz :rolleyes:. The weather is far better than June/July in the southern states that's for sure.

With the SCG, WACA and Bellerive available it won't affect the test schedule (MCG test can still be on boxing day with the drop in pitches) and the shield teams can play at smaller venues as Cricket at that level doesn't rely on attendance, gameday membership and gameday corporate events for income.

If FIFA are going to hold the WC in January in 2022 then the European leagues will have to take a break for a month so there'll be a precedent by the next time we bid.

it could also set the precedent of never doing it again

I am over in England at the moment and the FA have laughed at the idea of a January World Cup; they have made it abundantly clear that they will not shift their season for a World Cup. Same goes for all of the other major European leagues. FIFA have the power to shift the Russian league for World Cup 2018 (Russian league runs throughout summer) but have no hope in hell against all of the big European leagues plus UEFA who won't move the champions league.

If Qatar can't do a World Cup in June/July then they will be stripped of hosting rights. Either that or World Cup 2022 will be a joke of a tournament without any big name players from European leagues. If Qatar aren't up to the task we would be more then happy to take 2022 off them :)

* All large stadia would've been freely available - sheesh we would've been flushed with choice just in the 5 mainland capitals.

Well most of our Stadia is AFL/Rugby/Cricket specific so if I was FIFA I wouldn't even look at the MCG & Etihad due to the distance between the touchline & the first row of seats.

Well most of our Stadia is AFL/Rugby/Cricket specific so if I was FIFA I wouldn't even look at the MCG & Etihad due to the distance between the touchline & the first row of seats.
Olympia Stadion in Berlin is an oval stadium (athletics track) and hosted the 2006 WC final. FIFA didn't have a problem with that nor other oval stadia around the world that have hosted almost half the past WC finals.

I am over in England at the moment and the FA have laughed at the idea of a January World Cup; they have made it abundantly clear that they will not shift their season for a World Cup. Same goes for all of the other major European leagues. FIFA have the power to shift the Russian league for World Cup 2018 (Russian league runs throughout summer) but have no hope in hell against all of the big European leagues plus UEFA who won't move the champions league.

If Qatar can't do a World Cup in June/July then they will be stripped of hosting rights. Either that or World Cup 2022 will be a joke of a tournament without any big name players from European leagues. If Qatar aren't up to the task we would be more then happy to take 2022 off them :)
But... But... don't they realise how big the WC is. It's not just about showcasing soccer It's the biggest event in the world for christ sake. It makes the Olympics look like little ath's. I mean one season isn't going to hurt them. How selfish that they can't interrupt their season for one year for the greatest party known to mankind. I'm appalled and frankly shocked!

i find it hard to believe that fifa would interrupt the European footballing calender to hold a world cup in 40 degree heat.

And yet...

322845-qatar-world-cup-win.jpg

FIFA can do anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

A "Euro winter" World Cup in Oz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back