A-League 2013/14 Crowd Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in knowing how the NSL weekly crowds during it's peak compare to today!
My dad used to go to West Adelaide matches and says that West Adelaide used to get good crowds especially against Adelaide City.

I'm interested in knowing how the NSL weekly crowds during it's peak compare to today!
My dad used to go to West Adelaide matches and says that West Adelaide used to get good crowds especially against Adelaide City.

Much smaller crowds in the NSL days…Up in Brisbane Strikers were a 4-5000 crowd team on a good day…with 7-8000 during the real good times. I was a Heidleberg fan as a kid and we used to get 5-7000 type crowds and maybe 10-15000 to the Greek derby…I played for SGX and we used to get 3-4000 crowds…there used to be plenty more all Melbourne games, so crowds would get a decent boost but there was never a chance of a 30k or even 20k crowd to a league game in those days…20k crowds in Brisbane would have been laughed at as a pipe dream...it is so much better these days…I get a laugh from those that still long for the old NSL days...

I used to go and watch West Adelaide too from 1994-98 and from memory the regular home crowd by 1998 was around 4000. The derby attracted around 11,000 and had a great atmosphere.

Week 3 Crowds
Victory v Brisbane - Docklands 21,693
Central Coast v Adelaide - Bluetongue 9,109
Sydney v Western Sydney - SFS 40,388 (record for all normal season games at the SFS)
Wellington v Newcastle - McLean Park 9,020
Perth v Melbourne - NIB Stadium 13,856

Total crowd for the weekend's fixtures: 94066 :thumbsu:

Also can any Victory fans tell me how long the Docklands contract lasts? The game on Friday Night really should've been at the rectangular stadium.

I used to go and watch West Adelaide too from 1994-98 and from memory the regular home crowd by 1998 was around 4000. The derby attracted around 11,000 and had a great atmosphere.

Yeah I used to go to West Adelaide games as well in the late 90s. Didn't remember the games well since I was fairly young. I remember the 1999 season the most. The last year of West Adelaide's existence in the NSL. My dad though was referring to the 'golden era' in the 70s and 80s. Crowds definitely took a nose dive in the end. Also we changed our name from West Adelaide to Adelaide Sharks to try and get some non Greeks to support the club, but that didn't work out very well. After West Adelaide folded I regularly went to Adelaide City matches (Didn't support them but I enjoyed going to their games since they were the only Adelaide team left in the National competition. During Adelaide City's last years in the early 00s, the crowd figures were really poor. Struggling to get more than 2k per game. Everyone was shocked when Adelaide United's fist ever game was a sell out. I guess Adelaide was in desperate need of a multicultural team and our prayers were answered.

Much smaller crowds in the NSL days…Up in Brisbane Strikers were a 4-5000 crowd team on a good day…with 7-8000 during the real good times. I was a Heidleberg fan as a kid and we used to get 5-7000 type crowds and maybe 10-15000 to the Greek derby…I played for SGX and we used to get 3-4000 crowds…there used to be plenty more all Melbourne games, so crowds would get a decent boost but there was never a chance of a 30k or even 20k crowd to a league game in those days…20k crowds in Brisbane would have been laughed at as a pipe dream...it is so much better these days…I get a laugh from those that still long for the old NSL days...

didn't Brisbane Strikers get like 40k at a GF?

Week 3 Crowds
Victory v Brisbane - Docklands 21,693
Central Coast v Adelaide - Bluetongue 9,109
Sydney v Western Sydney - SFS 40,388 (record for all normal season games at the SFS)
Wellington v Newcastle - McLean Park 9,020
Perth v Melbourne - NIB Stadium 13,856

Total crowd for the weekend's fixtures: 94066 :thumbsu:

Also can any Victory fans tell me how long the Docklands contract lasts? The game on Friday Night really should've been at the rectangular stadium.

I wonder if the FFA have the guts to have the Sydney Derbies at ANZ Stadium next year onwards! Surly they can get 60k.

didn't Brisbane Strikers get like 40k at a GF?

Yeah they did. That was the season they would have averaged about 7k for games. I think the first match the following season about 5 or 6k turned up. 20k for a league game rather than a finals game is what I meant re pipe dream...

Week 4 Crowds

Western Sydney v Adelaide - Parramatta 16,279
Perth v Sydney - NIB 10,613
Newcastle v Central Coast - Hunter 13,744
Brisbane v Melbourne - Lang Park 15,011
Victory v Wellington - Docklands 23,226

Total crowds for this weekend's fixtures - 78,873

Must admit being at the Roar game it didn't look anywhere close to a 15k crowd, while the Western Grandstand was full, the Family end and the Eastern Grandstand looked sparse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are Perth still giving away heaps of free tickets to their home games?

I actually think it's a great idea. Under 16's should be free to every match.

Week 4 Crowds

Western Sydney v Adelaide - Parramatta 16,279
Perth v Sydney - NIB 10,613
Newcastle v Central Coast - Hunter 13,744
Brisbane v Melbourne - Lang Park 15,011
Victory v Wellington - Docklands 23,226

Total crowds for this weekend's fixtures - 78,873

Must admit being at the Roar game it didn't look anywhere close to a 15k crowd, while the Western Grandstand was full, the Family end and the Eastern Grandstand looked sparse.

The weekly attendance figures are certainly impressive. Particularly in light of the figures bandied about here from the old NRL days.

I wonder what the projections would have been for year 9 when this comp kicked off? Not many in their wildest dreams would have foreseen the level of success coming out of Western Sydney at the present time.

Week 5 crowds

Melbourne v Western Sydney - Melbourne Rectangular Stadium 8070
Wellington v Perth - Christchurch 9671 (couldn't find a source from the official site)
Adelaide v Newcastle - Hindmarsh Stadium 10244
Sydney v Victory - SFS 18784
Central Coast v Brisbane - Gosford 8303

55072 all up this weekend

Quick question, in Wellington with a group of 11 kids in a couple of weeks, going to go to the Roar game. Safe to say we can roll up and get tickets on the day? Not keen on going through the pre booking process

Are Perth still giving away heaps of free tickets to their home games?

I actually think it's a great idea. Under 16's should be free to every match.

No they're not, that was only a promotion for the first home game. However there are often kids specials, eg kids tickets are $5 for this Fridays nights home game against Wellington

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League 2013/14 Crowd Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back