A-League 2013/14 Crowd Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the Sydney game on Saturday night. They should really move to a smaller venue, the crowd sizes are normally decent but they lose so much atmosphere at the ground.

Also, if the Cove could learn more than the 3 chants they used on Saturday night, that would be great :thumbsu: Fecking annoying hearing the same thing for 90 mins, especially when it's not that good to begin with.

I was at the Sydney game on Saturday night. They should really move to a smaller venue, the crowd sizes are normally decent but they lose so much atmosphere at the ground.

Also, if the Cove could learn more than the 3 chants they used on Saturday night, that would be great :thumbsu: Fecking annoying hearing the same thing for 90 mins, especially when it's not that good to begin with.

Sadly there are a few clubs who, based on the poor crowds they attract, could use smaller stadiums. It would make for more atmosphere, and in some cases would probably prove move profitable as well.

Sadly there are a few clubs who, based on the poor crowds they attract, could use smaller stadiums. It would make for more atmosphere, and in some cases would probably prove move profitable as well.
Wellington fits that description perfectly.

Sydney still gets decent crowds (normally around 20k or so) but it loses all relevance when the stadium is half full. Not sure where else they'd play though.

Sydney still gets decent crowds (normally around 20k or so) but it loses all relevance when the stadium is half full. Not sure where else they'd play though.

I can think of another club too. But I couldn't stand the tears it would cause if I were to mention them.

Gallop looks like a fool for his shitting on the Big Bash when talking up the "Summer of Football".

SEN radio were this morning pointing the finger at the A League for achieving its "equal worst ratings figures for the season last Friday night". Hello Andy! Last Friday night Channel 9 had the Australia vs England One Day International on. Channel 7 had the advanced stages of the Australia Tennis Open, and poor SBS2 had to serve up a match 'featuring' the equal worst performed team in A League history.

Could those ratings have possibly come as a shock to anyone?

SEN radio were this morning pointing the finger at the A League for achieving its "equal worst ratings figures for the season last Friday night". Hello Andy! Last Friday night Channel 9 had the Australia vs England One Day International on. Channel 7 had the advanced stages of the Australia Tennis Open, and poor SBS2 had to serve up a match 'featuring' the equal worst performed team in A League history.

Could those ratings have possibly come as a shock to anyone?

How about the less crowded Friday night when the Big Bash commenced? 804,000 vs 74,000 in capital cities when there were no other sports to compete with that night to my knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Our game is on a great trajectory that no other sport in this country is on," Gallop said. "From the excitement of going to Brazil (for the World Cup next year), to the A-League, the growth of the sport is massive.
"We now have two million playing our game. We are unstoppable in Australian sport and the next 17 days gives us the opportunity to demonstrate that."
Recent television ratings, however, have given Australian soccer authorities some food for thought.
The Ashes series has had a huge effect, with 9.6 million viewers tuning in to the series so far, according to the Nine Network, with a huge audience for the third Test in Perth, while the five A-League figures were seriously undermined.
But Gallop is expecting a huge turnaround now that the Ashes series has been decided.
"I think now that the proper cricket kind of ended yesterday, and well done to Australia, but what we have got over the next 17 days is right at the core of our competition that runs over 30 weeks," he said. "Every match counts. They are part of a six-month competition that Australian sports fans take an interest in but I think the cricket probably finished for everyone yesterday."
"We are really confident about the seriousness of the A-League."

He undeniably looks like an idiot for these comments now. It was even quite foreseeable with this years Big Bash coinciding with an Ashes series likely to spike interest in cricket to a high point.

Gallop should be told to keep his mouth shut.The time to make comments is at the end of the season not half way through.

Its alright to promote a sport the right way but just bagging the opposition only works when you have the figures to prove it.
The Cricket and Tennis will always out rate the A League as they are on the mainstream channels with years of viewing and attending matches formed plus the A league is on the least watched channel.

The thing is, A-League got roasted by BBL ratings when they were both on Pay TV last year (and there was no Ashes that year!). Gallop is an arseh*le, in particular an arseh*le who doesn't think before he runs his mouth. He was the exact same working at the NRL.

Saying the cricket ended for most people at the close of the WACA Test was just lunacy.

Sydney, Brisbane and Wellington are the only ones I feel need to move.
As well as the Victory playing at AAMI Park all the time (bar maybe finals)

Sydney I don't know where to go. Brookvale would be perfect size wise, but it's position in Sydney might be a nuisance.
Concord Oval might be better in it's position, but it's outdated.
Leichardt Oval is in a good spot and the right size, but I don't think the facilities are at the right level yet. Maybe in conjunction with West Tigers and the NSW government they could upgrade it? Would be perfect with maybe a $100M facelift.

With Brisbane, just go to Ballymore stadium. It makes sense.

With Wellington, it's harder, there's only one other venue suitable (Basin Reserve), but being summer, cricket has it. Might have to stick with what it's got now

Sydney I don't know where to go. Brookvale would be perfect size wise, but it's position in Sydney might be a nuisance.
Leichardt Oval is in a good spot and the right size, but I don't think the facilities are at the right level yet. Maybe in conjunction with West Tigers and the NSW government they could upgrade it? Would be perfect with maybe a $100M facelift.

With Wellington, it's harder, there's only one other venue suitable (Basin Reserve), but being summer, cricket has it. Might have to stick with what it's got now
Leichardt Oval would be no good. Only about 5,000 seats. Everyone else would have to sit/stand on the hill. Brookevale would decrease crowds because of it's location. It's hard to know where they should go.

no, why would you take the games out of the best stadium in Australia not to mention the extreme ease of getting to the front gates of the stadium via bus or train

no, why would you take the games out of the best stadium in Australia not to mention the extreme ease of getting to the front gates of the stadium via bus or train
Best stadium in Australia? You're having a laugh. What makes it the best?

Considering i've been to Allianz, ANZ and Aami it's better than all of them, although aami is a close 2nd. The view at suncorp is amazing and when it's packed out its unreal

this doesn't include oval grounds
Oh right. Sorry I thought you were including all grounds. I like AAMI but it's only a boutique ground compared to Suncorp. The Sydney one's are terrible.

Gallop should be told to keep his mouth shut.The time to make comments is at the end of the season not half way through.
I used to like Gallop but he's so flaccid. He does bupkis and his mark on the game in Australia will be nothing. Nought. A great administrator could change the game right now if he was bold enough to upset the parochial little splinter groups (all this 'Football West' and branch names is false – there's no association to the FFA) and completely revamp the way the game's set up.

Instead, he makes gushing remarks about how good the game is and how huge it's going to be. He seems to think lavish remarks and decorative statements will somehow do it. The guy is an idiot.

The big thing about the Big Bash is that it's experiencing a bit boost on the back of this nauseatingly bloated patriotism that's surrounding the cricket team. The Ashes win has made cricket worth attending again, and it's bleeding into a competition that has nothing to do with the national side. It's akin to how trendy soccer is every World Cup. Hopefully the game here does well to ride the waves of Brazil this year, and then continues it well into the 15/16 season after the Asian Cup.

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League 2013/14 Crowd Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back