A, so far, outstanding Trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Says it all.
In Buck's/Hine we trust.
Go Pies.:thumbsu:

Now let's see if we get a favorable draw.

We did as well as we possibly could, but, what goes around comes around, but in saying that we've given ourselves every possible chance of finishing top 4 the next 2-3 years IMO.

Let it be done Q.

We really slaughtered it in this trade period, a ruthless trading operation.

Don't ever question the family again.

Let it be done Q.

We really slaughtered it in this trade period, a ruthless trading operation.

Don't ever question the family again.

I thought this would been better video:

A fine trading period for the club, Wellers forced our hand and Chris decided he didn't like the heat in the kitchen. Neither player has been replaced like for like but both new acquisitions fill needs which were glaringly obvious this season.

Gleaning two first round picks in addition places us in a powerful position in the upcoming draft period, a position we haven't been in for years.

For a club that has finished in the top bracket for years now that is an outstanding acheivment.

Well done Hine / Rendell / Bucks / Walsh.

Nailed it.

A fine trading period for the club, Wellers forced our hand and Chris decided he didn't like the heat in the kitchen. Neither player has been replaced like for like but both new acquisitions fill needs which were glaringly obvious this season.

Gleaning two first round picks in addition places us in a powerful position in the upcoming draft period, a position we haven't been in for years.

For a club that has finished in the top bracket for years now that is an outstanding acheivment.

Well done Hine / Rendell / Bucks / Walsh.

Nailed it.
Yeah Getting 1st Rounders for Wellingham and Dawes and Then get Lynch and Young without trading anything

Gaining the 2 extra picks inside 20 is one of the biggest coups we have pulled that I can remember.
We have been really smart about it this year. Top 4 finish, 3 1st round draft picks. Brilliant!
I know the entire month of October is possibly a little bit long for trade week/month, but I'm not sure I've ever been this excited about it. Wheeling and dealing usually seems to pass us by. Whoever was the brains behind what we have achieved, then cheers. I'll have a beer or 3 for you, greeeeeat work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am so much more confident about our list for the future now that we have Hine and Rendell working together, i think its probably one of the strongest points of the club to move us forward for the future. ;)

Pretty happy with how we've handled the trade/free agency period so far, buying into the draft and bringing in a couple of freebies to counteract the loss of Dawes and Wellingham. Young obviously isn't an identical replacement for Wellingham on-field, whose role will have to be covered by our existing midfield, but he'll give us a line-breaking outside option that we've lacked recently. Also, the one facet that Young does have in common with Wellingham is experience, finals included.

Wellingham wanted out so to get a first round selection for him was as good a result as we could have hoped for, especially when considering he nominated West Coast. We were restricted somewhat as a result, but the club did the right thing by Wellingham and got something in return.

The Dawes situation in terms of what was said behind closed doors we'll likely speculate about for a while yet, but securing pick 21 with Lynch covering the short term is a reasonable result. There is risk involved though, as we now have about two years to discover/develop another key forward to take over the reigns from Lynch.

We'll be looking at Paine and/or Gault at the moment, whilst possibly bringing in another prospect this draft.

I think we've done well, with the club seeming to wrap their minds around how to approach free agency. Understandably at this time of year a lot of football fans (from all clubs) get excited about the draft, with draft picks becoming the flavour of the month. Obviously we'll only be able to determine how well we've done this off-season a couple of years down the track, but at least Hine will have a more meaningful chance to do his thing this year.

The list was probably in need of an injection of first round draft talent, with a view to bolstering the side 2-3 years down the line. We've managed to do that whilst being mindful of our current window through free agency.

Just a taste of what is to come where FA is concerned... I think we will find the only thing holding us back from pillaging every year will be the salary cap. It's a beautiful thing though, every time one of our highest paid players retires, or enters the back end of a front loaded contract, or can go on our vets list.... boom, snap up another player.

They will change the rules in a few years when they start looking back on it and seeing how much of an advantage it is to teams like ours.

Just a taste of what is to come where FA is concerned... I think we will find the only thing holding us back from pillaging every year will be the salary cap. It's a beautiful thing though, every time one of our highest paid players retires, or enters the back end of a front loaded contract, or can go on our vets list.... boom, snap up another player.

They will change the rules in a few years when they start looking back on it and seeing how much of an advantage it is to teams like ours.

i wouldnt be so confident, hawks lost a FA they wanted to keep... Free agency will have its up and downs, none will be a BIG winner but some clubs will come up slightly on top, i believe we will be one of those clubs.

And given our wage constraints and the FA list of hopefuls, who could we have gotten in FA that would be a better couplet - keeping in mind Wellingham was headed out the door already?
Not sure what you are getting at to be honest but I don't have an issue with who we have picked up. Just with who we have lost. As I said they are 2 very seperate issues. Just like we never traded Paul Williams for Holland and Clement as some like to paint it. We let a gun go and we could have traded for Clemeent anyway. Holland was dime a dozen. 2 sperate issues.

As for Wellingham, I suspect we could have kept him had we wanted to. He said as much on the Club a couple of times during the year. We obviously could have kept Dawes.

How i see it -youve won on the Dawes deal and lost on the Wellingham trade.

Dawes -ive never seen a bloke drop as many chest marks as him -Lynch although older is clearly a better player and a far stronger mark -so your early pick for Dawes -and with Lynch coming in -a clear winner

But with Wellingham -i would have thought most Collingwood supporters would be bitterly dissappointed to lose him -and West Coast would be rapped to get him . Like if your recruiting a top line player -Wellingham ticks all the boxes -what is he about 24 or 25 played 90 odd games -a premiership player -a classy player who can play on ball or forward -but most importantly hes basically at the perfect age

It will basically come down to how well Collingwood use those 2 early picks. Richmond got 2 1st round picks for Brad Ottens -and picked 2 blokes they subsequently delisted

How i see it -youve won on the Dawes deal and lost on the Wellingham trade.

Dawes -ive never seen a bloke drop as many chest marks as him -Lynch although older is clearly a better player and a far stronger mark -so your early pick for Dawes -and with Lynch coming in -a clear winner

But with Wellingham -i would have thought most Collingwood supporters would be bitterly dissappointed to lose him -and West Coast would be rapped to get him . Like if your recruiting a top line player -Wellingham ticks all the boxes -what is he about 24 or 25 played 90 odd games -a premiership player -a classy player who can play on ball or forward -but most importantly hes basically at the perfect age

It will basically come down to how well Collingwood use those 2 early picks. Richmond got 2 1st round picks for Brad Ottens -and picked 2 blokes they subsequently delisted

I agree with you. Whilst Wellingham's kicking drove me bananas, he is a good player.

Remove this Banner Ad

A, so far, outstanding Trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back