kilaw

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2007
Royals
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
After one of the clubs greatest years in it's short but sweet history, everything managed to turn itself upside down this year.

We went from the highest peak to the lowest ebb in the space of 12 months, and it started with Ben's dad... and it finished with Judd leaving, Rowan Jones calling it a day, and Daniel Chick being delisted.

It's true we did finish third, and I know we can blame injuries all day long, but it just wasn't meant to be this year.

The clubs name was dragged through the mud with a number of incidents, namely the Cousins saga, Fletcher in Vegas and 'Ketamine Kerr.' Of course then channel Seven revealed that West Coast weren't the only club with a drug problem:thumbsdown:.

So I think it's very safe to say, this year was probably worse than 2000 and 2001... but that's very debatable.

Hopefully during next year's H&A season:

Embley doesn't miss 10 games
Chad Fletcher plays more than 9 games
Ash Hansen doesn't miss 9 games!
Daniel Kerr doesn't get suspended, and doesnt miss 5 games
Ben Cousins plays 22 games! :D
Nicoski plays at least 10 games... we saw him 5 times all season

and finally, we WIN A ****ING PREMIERSHIP!!!!

In my mind it may just be the kick in the ass the club needed. Sure we have been great on field - but off field, geezus.

I expect Chicky is a part of the cleansing.

The bad times make the good times even better. In all honestly id prefer to have a shit year then be a club like Fremantle and have a nothing year. Atleast something has happened. Atleast changes have been made.

The bad times make the good times even better. In all honestly id prefer to have a shit year then be a club like Fremantle and have a nothing year. Atleast something has happened. Atleast changes have been made.

Subtly my point there Embers. Makes you appreciate the last two years that much more.

Hopefully we learnt a thing or two.

Subtly my point there Embers. Makes you appreciate the last two years that much more.

Hopefully we learnt a thing or two.

Only way to learn is from experience. Its why IMO we are set for finals footy for the next 10-20 years. I just think of a club like Richmond or Carlton. I couldnt stand supporting a team like that. Id drown myself in a bucket if I had to go through even 2 rounds of that rubbish. We are pretty lucky to support such a great club really

This year was definitely disappointing in so many ways, not least because after watching Port demolish the Kangas yesterday the realisation came as to just how close we came to a third consecutive GF.

In some ways then 2007 could be considered a waste, however it only truly becomes that if the administration and players don't learn from it. Maybe us fans as well.

Our greatest failing this year was the collective off field indiscretions which threatened to derail our season completely and still have us under notice from the AFL that any further lapses will be punished severely.

Fortunately, since our well publicised meeting with the AFL things apperar to have changed. Cox and Glass, IMO, have really stepped up as leaders around the club which is even more crucial now with the departure of Judd.

Judging from his appearance on Footy Classified last week, the penny looks to have dropped with Kerr that he needed to clean up his act and is doing so - hopefully the disappointment he expressed with his 2007 season will translate into a stellar 2008. I can only hope that Cousins does the same - I'd dearly love for him to come out publicly and decalre his commitment to the Eagles.

Hopefully, with the departure of Judd and our early exit from the finals the players will understand that nothing is forever and that nothing should be taken for granted. We will go into 2008 with a side strong enough to win another flag, that chance will not be there forever though and may not come again.

There will be a different look to the side next year with the departure of Judd in particular, but also Chick and Rojo but maybe we are looking to freshen up and reload for 2008.

Bring it on.

I like to call it a ****ed year myself.

Sad will pass though.

Just a msg to one player in particular.

"YOU OWE US FOR THE SHIT YOU HAVE PUT ON OUR CLUB BOY, CHANCE FOR REDEMPTION 2008, DONT **** IT UP"

That is all.

Some good thoughts here by one and all...

Still furious at our franchise player (Judd) leaving like he has...

Can someone enlighten me as to what Kerr said on Footy Classified? I was stuck in Sydney on work commitments and no chance of catching it there...

Can someone enlighten me as to what Kerr said on Footy Classified? I was stuck in Sydney on work commitments and no chance of catching it there...

Dont quote me mate but he saids things like "Whoosha asks me what I do every weekend, I had an alcohol problem along the lines of excessive drinking in short periods (binge isnt it called?) , look forward to 2008, had an inkling Judd was gone as he did next to no renovations on his Joondana home and am honored to be part of the All Australian side."

I think. :p

He'll kick arse 2008 you watch. :thumbsu:

A disappointing year, but we've shown strength of character to have Cousins out for over half a season before snapping his hammy in the firs final, Judd injured for the second half of the year, Hansen sustaining injury while brushing his teeth, Embley not stringing games together, Glassy having his testes mauled, Cox powering on like a trooper, and Kerr missing for the finals.

They are probably our 6 most important players (reduced to 5 next year) so if we can keep those 5 fit for most of the year (particularly business end) get some 2nd tier players stepping back up and getting improvement from our young guns then we're gonna have an awesome 2008.

I've always said you need a bit of luck along with having a good side, and we haven't had that this year.

This year will make next even better if all goes well. Minus the off field problems and limit the injuries and suddenly its all fantastic (as long as form slumps are at minimal). Looking forward to next more than ever now :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feck "sad". Shit happens (as far as supporters are concerned). I saw a year of grit, and heart on the field. This year has just backed up my thoughts that we are mentally the toughest team going around. This year has made me so hopeful for the next, it ain't funny...can't wait.

Feck "sad". Shit happens (as far as supporters are concerned). I saw a year of grit, and heart on the field. This year has just backed up my thoughts that we are mentally the toughest team going around. This year has made me so hopeful for the next, it ain't funny...can't wait.

Definitely agree with this. The resilence of the players to keep coming, over the last 3 years has been extraordinary.

Woosh can take a lot of the credit for this. Say what you like about his match day coaching his ability to get the guys to play the way he did is a major factor in the success we've had.

Since 2005 we have lost 4 finals, the only one greater than a goal was when the Pies had to go to extra time to finish us off.

Yeh its been quiet sad for the eagles this year it wasnt meant to be with all the off field poop and the injuries that happend and some of the games that eagles should have won at home but lost them like the last game against essendon that fade out cost them a home final . I really hope that we have a good year next year .

Remove this Banner Ad

A truly sad year for the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back